Converting paper to digital

Hey Everyone

New to the forum. I have a question that I am sure people asked 20 years ago but...

I am in Melbourne Austtralia and I obtained my PPL back  in the '90s and stopped flying for about 30 years.

Now I am getting back into it and there are a number of things I need to do - apart from learning to fly again.

One of them is to "convert" my old Australian pilot's licence to a "digital" licence and,  whilst this may have been a thing a while ago, it is not clear on the CASA website what I need to do to do this.

Would anyone here be able to help or at least point me in the right direction?

Anything would be much appreciated!

Peter

57 minutes ago, Peter_from_Melbourne said:

Hey Everyone

New to the forum. I have a question that I am sure people asked 20 years ago but...

I am in Melbourne Austtralia and I obtained my PPL back  in the '90s and stopped flying for about 30 years.

Now I am getting back into it and there are a number of things I need to do - apart from learning to fly again.

One of them is to "convert" my old Australian pilot's licence to a "digital" licence and,  whilst this may have been a thing a while ago, it is not clear on the CASA website what I need to do to do this.

Would anyone here be able to help or at least point me in the right direction?

Anything would be much appreciated!

Peter

If this link doesn't work just google casa part 61 license conversion. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.casa.gov.au/recognition-and-transfer-car-5-qualifications-under-casr-part-61-and-casr-part-202261&ved=2ahUKEwjNtPnJ4OD3AhVeUWwGHbkTDbwQFnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw01mPpkOuuIh8u5XIBl5eLJ

Once you have your part 61 license and medical it will just be a comprehensive aeroplane flight review AFR and you will be good to go. Welcome back.

I guess that CASA has assumed that everyone has already converted from the old CAR 5 licence to the flash new Part 61 licence so nil guidance on the new system. A lot of rules and procedures have changed in the last 30 years so suggest that you brush up on those as much as you can before you start paying a flight instructor. This is a good place to start: https://www.casa.gov.au/search-centre/visual-flight-rules-guide

Piper Warriors haven't changed much in 30 years. Quite a few online at flight schools around Melbourne. You'll find updated avionics and a GPS installed. I'm assuming that you want to resume in the Warrior and go to $100 hamburger events?

The flight instructor giving you a refresher and doing your flight review may not mention Electronic Flight Bags as few flight schools here incorporate them in their training. However definitely worthwhile considering this rather than buying a full set of documents and paper charts as you'll just end up tossing them in the bin. So, read up about EFBs here https://www.casa.gov.au/operations-safety-and-travel/safety-advice/electronic-flight-bag/efb-procedures-and-training

and https://www.avplan-efb.com/ - they have an office at Moorabbin and welcome people dropping in to chat.

I suggest that you talk to a few instructors at different flight schools, mention that you want to use an EFB rather than buy paper stuff, consider what you will be doing once you are back into it.

I've come across people in your situation before, one earlier this year. He  got current in a Warrior then did a tailwheel endorsement followed by an aerobatic endorsement.

One thing that I notice has changed - when I got my constant speed retract. there were a heap of planes to hire for a trip - piper cherokee 6's, Lances, Saratogas, C210s and a few A36s. But where have they all gone? The last 30 years has been hard on the old tourers - and it looks like nothing has replaced them 😞

My first PPL was the green booklet, issued in the 80s, then a plastic card came in the post, many years ago. I can only guess what a digital license is. As for Piper Warriors not having changed much of the last thirty years, I bet the amount of rust has! And it seems to me people are ripping out the 'steam' gauges and fitting flat screens.

6 hours ago, Jabiru7252 said:

My first PPL was the green booklet, issued in the 80s, then a plastic card came in the post, many years ago. I can only guess what a digital license is. As for Piper Warriors not having changed much of the last thirty years, I bet the amount of rust has! And it seems to me people are ripping out the 'steam' gauges and fitting flat screens.

The old canvas one was good. Now there are 20 pages of guff with 3 pages left intentionally blank. I've lost count of how many times the licence has changed (along with the simplification of regs by increasing the word count 10X) over the last 40 years. The licence still has no equivalence to Euro or Yank and is a waste of paper and resources.
I still get my checks signed and entered into my logbook (like the olden days) as well as the loosable loose leaf one that the checker/instructor/chief pilot (or mofo or whatever their called) takes a copy of and submits that to CASA to keep another 40 people employed in licencing.

I have the old green licence and the current pile of paper that doesn't fit in the green case. All kept in a plastic bag, but the plastic card type has long gone.

CASA do have records going way back, but some of them are garbled. When I got the new licence I was approved for retractable Undercarriage, but not for constant speed prop which was the opposite of what I really had. it was easy to fix though.

On 16/05/2022 at 1:54 PM, pmccarthy said:

For those wondering what we are talking about...

I've got a green one like yours issued in 1969 and my nationality is "British" even though I sprung to life in Brighton 3186 - quaint

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I would use Apple iPad as it is more stable mature system and you need internet 4G connections (cellular) requiring a data plan with Telstra or Optus to allow route planning/change with wind recalculation and information gathering like eAWIS , ERSA while airborne.

There are many stores but as an example JBHIFI have Apple iPad 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular (Space Grey) [9th Gen] $699 ok if only using as an EFB and not filing it with family photos and music otherwise you need an 256GB at $929 iPad to gain more memory.

The actual EFB two main brands OzRunways $109 Year & Avplan EFB $119 Year available from the apple store.

I hope this helps a little.

On 28/05/2022 at 5:42 PM, tcsmith said:

Where can I purchase an EFB? What does it cost for the device and software?

Cheers

Terry

I suggest that you drop into the AvPlan HQ at Moorabbin Airport to get the best advice https://www.avplan-efb.com/contact/

I have an iPad Mini. You'll need the cellular version to get the GPS - I just connect it to the internet via my iPhone when I'm flying and wifi at home to get any data it needs at any time.