Suitable hand held radio - Your advice, please

I'm looking to buy a hand held transceiver radio for communication between ground and aircraft within about 10 nm of the ground location. The radio only needs to be able to send and receive. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles like GPS and navigation assistance. Obviously it will be used in Australia, so needs to comply with Australian telecommunications rules. 

Your advice on a suitable, low cost unit would be appreciated.

I believe the IC-A15 is now a discontinued product line, but the IC-A16E is a suitable replacement. The IC-A15 produces 5W of transmission power, and the IC-A16E produces 6W of transmission power.

https://www.ozpilot.com.au/product/icom-ic-a16e-8-33-25khz-ground-to-air-support-radio/

Edited by onetrack

Yeah, I knew it'd been replaced but figured if there were some still around, they'd be a good deal. (Like < $300 or so)

But, yeah,  for sure, the 16 will be better.

I reckon the accessory that lets you attach a normal headset is great to have.

Also the battery pack that lets you use 6XAAs in case you're away from mains power.  But they do push the price up quite a bit.

Anyway, all the best.  Good to see you back.   ;- )

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 1

I had a very good Yaesu for years, but it eventually stopped transmitting, so I bought an Icom A16. I ordered a 15, but they had been superceeded so I neded up with the 16. It works OK, but there is one serious fault with it. It cannot be connected to the aircrafts 12V power, which means it only runs on the battery installed. Can't be recharged or boosted while in use. Probably OK for OME, but I don't like it. I got the Yaesu repaired, but it only ran for about a year and broke down again.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, IBob said:

One wonders just what it is OME is needin' to say to them up there............😬

It's for ground marshalling at Tooraweenah when we have a chez nous and lots of our neighbours fly in from all over the place. We'll need one for the 12/13 November 2022 because we are having a celebration of Arthur Butler's arrival in Tooraweenah to seek the hand in marriage of a fair damsel. He had to set an England-Australia solo flight record to do it.

• Informative 1