Emergency landing and inversion 13/06/2022

I'm not sure there's enough oil there to indicate a failure . Overfilling can do that.. I'm not going to suggest he had run pout of fuel either. That's all speculation. We will learn soon enough most likely.. Grass is fairly long.  Nev

Flyboy1960, I did not make the statement you have attributed to me, in a previous post. I do see the need to ensure quotes are directly attributed to a person, as I failed to do.

Edited by onetrack

Pilot had  30 years of incident free flying, knows what is important.  

"I had to keep my eye on the airspeed, because one of the biggest dangers in doing an unexpected landing like this is you stall it in a turn and … it's a much more serious accident than just landing fast in rough ground."

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

The bloke in question is simply wearing a plain flight suit with no rank markings, just a name tag. There's no epaulettes or other insignia, which to me signifies the bloke isn't a wanker or a moron. Veterans are entitled to wear their former rank insignia at appropriate public events. But anyone wearing rank insignia every day in civilian life, after retirement, would have to be deemed an attention seeker, and is certainly inappropriate.

To me, it looks like he made a highly suitable choice of wear for a flight in his new aircraft. It's a flight suit, specifically designed for the use to which he put it. Having a name tag on your clothing could help rescuers no end with ID and family member/partner contact, when they drag you unconscious from a wreck.

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

I don’t disagree with you. 

On 13/06/2022 at 6:57 PM, APenNameAndThatA said:

I can’t lie. I deduct points for wearing a flight suit. 3/10. 

Strewth I hope I don't pull up behind you at the bowser! 😁

There's no flight suit, but I do wear a tactical style vest loaded with survival goodies. The usual explanation for anyone curious enough to ask about it is "I'm flying in a plane that I built in my back shed! And I'd like to tip the odds in my favour if it goes to shit..."

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

There is a young lady on Youtube that flies an autogiro and is very easy on the eye for any red blooded male pilot.

At no time have I ever seen any criticsism of her attire.😜

Please don't start!

I for one love watching the skills she has. Yea Right! 😜

Edited by planedriver
  • Haha 3

All I can think of, when I see Gyrocopter Girl flitting around wearing very little or nothing, is how painful a crash involving a fire would be for her - same as these blokes and gals who ride motorcycles with lots of exposed flesh.

Can't beat decent protection for our delicate skin we're fitted with, if you're going to indulge in some activity that carries a serious risk of bodily damage.

A light, simple, fireproof suit, beats a lifetime of painful scarring. Ask anyone who's been seriously burnt.

I set an open 1-gallon tin of petrol alight when I was much younger and sillier, by accidentally dropping it on battery terminals - and I can tell you from personal experience, burns are not fun. It sure made me very "fire-risk alert", from that point on.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

All I can think of, when I see Gyrocopter Girl flitting around wearing very little or nothing, is how painful a crash involving a fire would be for her - same as these blokes and gals who ride motorcycles with lots of exposed flesh.

Can't beat decent protection for our delicate skin we're fitted with, if you're going to indulge in some activity that carries a serious risk of bodily damage.

A light, simple, fireproof suit, beats a lifetime of painful scarring. Ask anyone who's been seriously burnt.

I set an open 1-gallon tin of petrol alight when I was much younger and sillier, by accidentally dropping it on battery terminals - and I can tell you from personal experience, burns are not fun. It sure made me very "fire-risk alert", from that point on.

That's ALL you think of when you see Gyro Girl?? 😁

• Haha 3

On 13/06/2022 at 4:53 PM, FlyBoy1960 said:

"A Jabiru UL-450 overturned during a forced landing in a field near Imbil, S of Gympie, Queensland. The pilot was not inured.
The engine of the aircraft had failed as the pilot was flying home after purchasing the aircraft."

Not a happy camper.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Informative 1

Any landing on an off airfield site has the risk of flip over due to the unknown surface texture (ruts, rocks, low cut tree stumps, fallen timber to name a few).  He did the right thing landing near a house, much better than the middle of no where.  Anyone who knocks the landing should add their off airfield landing numbers and results.  Well done and hope the repair list is minimal and not too expensive.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

It can be pretty tricky to judge the undulations of the ground when you're trying to pick a spot to put it down. What looks flat from a thousand feet up can be a decent hill when you get lower. I was in a jab that had an engine failure three years ago and we thought we had a decent spot selected, but on short finally realised how hilly it really was. Stacked it into an uphill slope and snapped off the nosewheel, but kept it upright. 

This guy did look to be carrying a lot of excess speed, but like he says, that beats stalling low to the ground. Well done. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, phlegm said:

It can be pretty tricky to judge the undulations of the ground when you're trying to pick a spot to put it down. What looks flat from a thousand feet up can be a decent hill when you get lower. I was in a jab that had an engine failure three years ago and we thought we had a decent spot selected, but on short finally realised how hilly it really was. Stacked it into an uphill slope and snapped off the nosewheel, but kept it upright. 

This guy did look to be carrying a lot of excess speed, but like he says, that beats stalling low to the ground. Well done. 

was it excess though. i have been doing my lessons in a j160 and j230. touchdown at 70 knots and best glide speed for engine out is 65 knots.

• Caution 1