Emergency landing and inversion 13/06/2022

"A Jabiru UL-450 overturned during a forced landing in a field near Imbil, S of Gympie, Queensland. The pilot was not inured.
The engine of the aircraft had failed as the pilot was flying home after purchasing the aircraft."

Not a happy camper.

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Could have hit a ridge or a stump. When the aim is to pull off a forced landing without being killed or injured he gets 10/10

I can’t lie. I deduct points for wearing a flight suit. 3/10. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I suspect you didn't learn to fly in the 1950/60's - a bit unnecessary these days but they serve a number of purposes including containing potentially loose objects (Chippie accident in Newcastle years ago)

Extra pockets are very useful in space limited Ra-Aus aircraft - how many points are deducted for cargo pants?

Tough call - bogan or a wanker

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I was thinking about that, but I gave hime extra points for getting it down and walking away.

• Like 1

If it was found he was wearing a crash helmet too, does that mean he'd only be awarded 1/10? As the old saying goes, "any crash you can walk away from, is a good one".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, peterg said:

I suspect you didn't learn to fly in the 1950/60's - a bit unnecessary these days but they serve a number of purposes including containing potentially loose objects (Chippie accident in Newcastle years ago)

Extra pockets are very useful in space limited Ra-Aus aircraft - how many points are deducted for cargo pants?

Tough call - bogan or a wanker

59 minutes ago, onetrack said:

If it was found he was wearing a crash helmet too, does that mean he'd only be awarded 1/10? As the old saying goes, "any crash you can walk away from, is a good one".

I wear a helmet, so that makes the 3/10 a bit hypocritical. Buuuuuut... the flight suit was a military colour and had a badge. People, his flight suit had a badge. 

I have some Nomex flight pants with lots of pockets. Handy, because hip pockets are hard to access when you are sitting down. I bought pants and shirt to avoid looking like a wanker. I wear my helmet in spite of it making me look like a wanker.

ADDITIONAL INFO    It turns out that, according to the ABC news, the pilot is an RAAF veteran. So he's got the right to do what he likes. But my own view remains that if you are a retired airline pilot, you don't turn up with gold epaulettes. This makes me look worse that it makes you look Vic, but it's still a 3/10 from me. Soz. 

Edited by APenNameAndThatA
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I bought pants and shirt to avoid looking like a wanker. I wear my helmet in spite of it making me look like a wanker. 

Matching colours?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I have some Nomex flight pants with lots of pockets. Handy, because hip pockets are hard to access when you are sitting down. I bought pants and shirt to avoid looking like a wanker. I wear my helmet in spite of it making me look like a wanker. 

All flight suits were originally the green colour, the fluros and ambo blues came later - like helmets, I guess lots of aviation "necessities" originated  in the military.

Lots of clubs of various persuasions ask their members to wear name badges - not a bad idea in my opinion. That said, members of some "clubs" dressed in their activity associated "uniform" would never wear an identifying name badge.

I now have an alternative image - what if our Jabiru flyer chose his nomex kit and helmet for his eventful first flight and posed next to his upturned A/C for a snap ... - any captions come to mind?

• Like 1

Poor fella!.

He'd be feeling gutted right now. Give him a break.

Looks like his new toy can be fixed.

Maybe he had too much air the tank and has learned something as most of us do, but preferably not the hard way.

• Like 1

A caption? How about - "Good day, chaps! Any chance you could call the CO and tell him the aircraft is now in an easily accessible position for a full brake service?"  :cheezy grin:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, onetrack said:

A caption? How about - "Good day, chaps! Any chance you could call the CO and tell him the aircraft is now in an easily accessible position for a full brake service?"  :cheezy grin:

That sounds like Pommy talk onetrack. Here in Oz we normally say G'day, but we all have to learn.

I for one do not derive pleasure from taking the pi** out of others misfortune, even if it came about from his misjudgement. Gladly he's ok and lives to tell the story, but wonder what you would have done to prevent an unfortunate tipover?

There's no telling what ruts or stumps there may have been in the ground. I imagine you know no more than the rest of us on here, and his approach looked good to me.

In life it pays to try and be kind if possible, rather than ridicule.

Rant over.

He did great. Made his emergency call. Got the aircraft down and walked  away. Immediately called authorities to let them know he was okay.

I like to listen to AOPA podcasts “There I was”. So much learning from others. I have my retractable now and listed to a gear up landing and how it happened was an eye opener.

. Last one was a helicopter forced landing due to weather. Episode 31 I think. He forgot to call authorities as he’d not wanted to declare an emergency even though they asked him to. Finally Center got hold of the guy and they were pissed! They played back to him the last few minutes including “unable” when they requested a frequency change. Telling him if wind turbines straight ahead and the weather from really closing in… they had every right to be angry. He was very apologetic and said he should have declared an emergency. 

5701BCC7-7847-4D90-B490-A9896E3BF914.jpeg

Edited by Mike Gearon
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Actually a sensible idea as they are made of close-woven cotton which is resistant to catching fire, unlike most man-made flammable materials that are commonly worn (polyester/nylon/rayon etc)

• Like 2

It turns out that, according to the ABC news, the pilot is an RAAF veteran. So he's got the right to do what he likes. But my own view remains that if you are a retired airline pilot, you don't turn up with gold epaulettes. This makes me look worse that it makes you look Vic, but it's still a 3/10 from me

The bloke in question is simply wearing a plain flight suit with no rank markings, just a name tag. There's no epaulettes or other insignia, which to me signifies the bloke isn't a wanker or a moron. Veterans are entitled to wear their former rank insignia at appropriate public events. But anyone wearing rank insignia every day in civilian life, after retirement, would have to be deemed an attention seeker, and is certainly inappropriate.

To me, it looks like he made a highly suitable choice of wear for a flight in his new aircraft. It's a flight suit, specifically designed for the use to which he put it. Having a name tag on your clothing could help rescuers no end with ID and family member/partner contact, when they drag you unconscious from a wreck.

Maybe he had too much air the tank and has learned something as most of us do, but preferably not the hard way.

One would hope he didn't simply run out of fuel as he tried to stretch the reserves, because he was obsessed with the cheaper fuel at a location he'd chosen, which was at the aircrafts range limit. That has been known to happen.

I would hazard a wild guess that unfamiliarity with a new (to him) aircraft and how the fuel tanks and supply arrangement was set up, was behind the emergency landing. I'm sure no-one treats an emergency landing as a casual option.

That sounds like Pommy talk onetrack. Here in Oz we normally say G'day, but we all have to learn.

I for one do not derive pleasure from taking the pi** out of others misfortune, even if it came about from his misjudgement. Gladly he's ok and lives to tell the story, but wonder what you would have done to prevent an unfortunate tipover?

There's no telling what ruts or stumps there may have been in the ground. I imagine you know no more than the rest of us on here, and his approach looked good to me.

In life it pays to try and be kind if possible, rather than ridicule.

Another poster assumed the position the event was all over, the result was as good as could be expected from a forced landing in less-than-satisfactory terrain - and it was time to crack a joke - as we all do, once the seriousness is over.

The photo indicated a quite formal "WW2" type dress and pose, and the caption I came up with, was from a joking, poking-fun-at-formality, approach. I wasn't "taking the p*ss" out of the bloke, and I fail to see where you're coming from.

Sorry it didn't meet your very precise criteria of never joking about an adverse event, even after its all over, and all's well - apart from some aircraft repair needed.

I have no idea what I would have done, if I'd been in his position - I'd probably have done the same thing. Hardly anyone gets the full details of a crash event, unless they speak directly with the person involved.

There was no ridicule in my simple joke caption - ridicule is when you set out purposely on a sustained track of continued denigration and unwarranted criticism, all designed to make yourself look superior and the person involved in the unfortunate event look positively stupid.

The gent involved carried out as good a forced landing as he could arrange - only a thorough investigation can identify if he went wrong anywhere in his decision-making, or if it was all caused by unavoidable mechanical failure.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

We wore them years ago because they were cheap, Had the right pockets and kept grease and crap off your good clothes. That's before we all flew Cessna's Beechcraft and "non fabric" Pipers..  One time a DCA chap turned up to assess me for a scholarship. He wore a suit and tie so when he asked me what plane to take  I chose a C-172.. Simple. Nev

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onetrack said:

I don't know if that is appropriate when you look at all of the oil stains on the bottom of the aircraft. It looks like a major failure of the engine and there is oil everywhere but if you prefer to say he ran out of fuel, that is okay

• Like 1