Survival gear

37 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

I'm still building my plane but as I think of things I add it to the list. Eventually I'll gather everything together, weigh the whole lot and then start to make some hard decisions.

The latest thing I've thought of is basics to repair a tube. My plane hasn't even taxiied yet and it got a flat tyre! So I took note of the minimum required to fix a tube. That's because I'm hoping eventually to be doing a lot of bush flying and it would really suck to be stranded somewhere because of s flat tyre. 

I carry one and sometimes two spare tubes, jack to lift wheel off ground, pump and the tools to remove the wheel plus one or two tube tyre foam inflator packs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

I carry one and sometimes two spare tubes, jack to lift wheel off ground, pump and the tools to remove the wheel plus one or two tube tyre foam inflator packs.

I'm going more minimal. Each tube is 1.2 kg sou will carry a patch kit, which I'll replace every year. I think the CO2 cartridges that the mountain bike guys use will be lighter than a pump but I'll weigh it all. What does your neck consist of? I think I can make one from a spare Ali tube left over from the build. There's a rather handy lug near the undercarriage that doesn't seem to be used for anything so I'll make the jack for that 🙂

• Like 1

Not sure what neck is.  My tubes are 0.25 kg each, I also carry puncture repair patches and some spare valves and the screw in tool.  Nothing better than a new tube if you get a flat.  Jack is 0.5kg from memory.  Full tools and spares is 4kg. need to be self sufficient if out land solo. Also carry a mr funnel for refuelling 0.3kg.  I weighed all my bits when doing my recent w&b. There is an image in New Nynja to area thread (page 12) cost $80 but well made and light (Google up Peter Anson engineering. Good value.).

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

11 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

I'm going more minimal. Each tube is 1.2 kg sou will carry a patch kit, which I'll replace every year. I think the CO2 cartridges that the mountain bike guys use will be lighter than a pump but I'll weigh it all. What does your neck consist of? I think I can make one from a spare Ali tube left over from the build. There's a rather handy lug near the undercarriage that doesn't seem to be used for anything so I'll make the jack for that 🙂

What is a neck? 

23 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

What do you all think of x

canisters of tyre inflation goo vs carrying spare tubes and etc?  

Spare tube and bicycle pump will always work. Inflation goo may work but not if the valve stem is torn off, unfortunately this can happen when tyres are run flat, example landing with a deflated tyre. Have experience.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

On 01/07/2022 at 8:14 AM, Blueadventures said:

Not sure what neck is.  My tubes are 0.25 kg each, I also carry puncture repair patches and some spare valves and the screw in tool.  Nothing better than a new tube if you get a flat.  Jack is 0.5kg from memory.  Full tools and spares is 4kg. need to be self sufficient if out land solo. Also carry a mr funnel for refuelling 0.3kg.  I weighed all my bits when doing my recent w&b. There is an image in New Nynja to area thread (page 12) cost $80 but well made and light (Google up Peter Anson engineering. Good value.).

Oh, ha! I got your PM and was thinking what the hell is this neck he's talking about? Then I look at this thread and everyone else is saying what the hell is this neck Danny's talking about 😄

Bloody auto correct decided I didn't want to say 'jack', so changed it to 'neck' 😄

Will check your thread out later. Very interested in your tubes. Mine are the full blown aircraft type and they are freakin heavy! I bought something cheaper from a regular tyre shop. Was a lot lighter too, but the valve didn't line up very well. Well done on your kit weight 😲

14 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Oh, ha! I got your PM and was thinking what the hell is this neck he's talking about? Then I look at this thread and everyone else is saying what the hell is this neck Danny's talking about 😄

Bloody auto correct decided I didn't want to say 'jack', so changed it to 'neck' 😄

Will check your thread out later. Very interested in your tubes. Mine are the full blown aircraft type and they are freakin heavy! I bought something cheaper from a regular tyre shop. Was a lot lighter too, but the valve didn't line up very well. Well done on your kit weight 😲

All good, re tubes call Wagga Bike and tyres and Fred will give you his knowledge and you will be be able to select a suitable tube.  

16 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

What do you all think of x

canisters of tyre inflation goo vs carrying spare tubes and etc?  

I carry both spare tubes and tube foam repair canister. A mate has used this product a few times and works well.  I have not used it myself to date.

image.jpeg.9b7269db3f8c874d431500ef79dd3c21.jpeg

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

With our very light little aeroplanes landing on soft ground, it’s tempting to run low pressure in the tyre; too low and that may risk tyre/tube creep and damage to the stem.

How low is too low? 

When all the air is at the top of the tyre it is too low, i.e Flat. If the tyre has a noticeable bulge at the bottom I reckon it is too low

Run your tyres at the manufacturers recommended pressure and you won't go wrong. If you lower your tyre pressure substantially below the recommended pressure, you stand a chance of damaging the tyre sidewall via the rim impacting the sidewall, in any heavy landing.

A heavy landing will double and even triple the normal load on the undercarriage and tyres. You only need a sudden drop of 50mm onto a hard surface to double the normal load.

Then there's the additional bead-to-rim pressure from braking. As a general rule, you should never go below about 12psi (83kPa) for tyre pressure, as under that pressure you stand a very good chance of bead slippage on the rim, or rolling the tyre off the rim, with any side thrust.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I've never had a forced landing in powered planes so I'm grateful for this discussion.  As a weight-saving fanatic, I would like to know the total weight of the setups described though.. That is why I liked Nev's thing about plastic bags and Old K's ides about the cd disc mirror. Negligible weight with these items.

Personally, I carry a plb because I thought it was compulsory.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I've never had a forced landing in powered planes so I'm grateful for this discussion.  As a weight-saving fanatic, I would like to know the total weight of the setups described though.. That is why I liked Nev's thing about plastic bags and Old K's ides about the cd disc mirror. Negligible weight with these items.

It is *generally* accepted that the mass of 1 L of water is 1 kg. Everything else is pretty light. I can’t see myself carrying a jack but Im not saying that it is wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Just need to make own decisions on equipment.  For example I carry a spare for both bing carb springs (throttle and enricher) two float bowl gaskets, two spark plugs, a 25mm hose joiner and some short hose and clamps.  As don't want the inconvenience of loosing a small part in the field.  Also a mr Funnel is on board as all my refuelling is via a mr funnel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

It is *generally* accepted that the mass of 1 L of water is 1 kg. Everything else is pretty light. I can’t see myself carrying a jack but Im not saying that it is wrong. 

The Anson jacks are 0.5kg and if solo can lift wheel to change with ease.  If 2 up yes can lift wing and find blocks or rocks to keep up if needed.  For me a small price and ready to do an 'F1' pit stop tyre change:)

48 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Here's links to the Anson jack information. Peter Anson Engineering manufactures several types of aircraft jacks and is shortly going to produce a "Jabajack" for Jabirus.

http://www.ansoneng.com/lightweight-screw-jack/

http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/products-summary/jabajack/

Wow, that jack is pretty snazzy! I suspect the crude jack I was going to make from an ali tube would actually weigh more!

• Like 1

Yes it should be pointed out that some of us are/will be flying ultra lights so a minimal jack design would be sufficient. 

I'm painfully aware that if my survival/tool kit is really heavy, the reason I might end up in an emergency landing is because I was short 10 litres of fuel 😄

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1