Survival gear

This is advice from a motorbike adventure rider. 

Motorbikes have tubeless tyres but he still carries tubes in case of sidewall damage. Also, tyre iron. He inflates tubes for 24 hours to make sure stay inflated.

I think I should add a second can of air/goo, and something for the valve. 

Instead of a jack, I think I would support the plane and dig a hole. 

EDIT: not a good idea to use WD40 on tyres, as Fact hunter points out. 

Edited by APenNameAndThatA

7 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I wouldn't put WD40 near any tyre or tube..   The "old" ton is 2240 imp. Lbs (20 cwt). Nev

I think you might be right. What about baby powder? 

Part of the reason for liking metric is that they only have one tonne. There is the US ton ( 907kg) and the olde english ton of 1016kg.

All too hard for me, so I like the kilograms.

And yes, baby powder would be much better on a tyre than wd40.

• Like 3

Oh it’s all too ‘heavy’ for me😂 I wouldn’t bother with a jack, as mentioned above, support the leg with whatever you can find and dig a hole under the wheel, old bushman’s trick👍 I’m waiting to see who carry’s an engine o/haul kit at this rate😂

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

These rims are "drop centre". Careful placement of the bead makes the opposite side relatively easy to lift over the edge of the rim with a tyre lever. Put it on with a rubber mallet or just strong fingers if you do it right.. Make sure the tyre pops out evenly as you inflate it or it may run out of true. You are unlikely to  spin a tyre on a grass strip with a U/L. Nev

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

Oh it’s all too ‘heavy’ for me😂 I wouldn’t bother with a jack, as mentioned above, support the leg with whatever you can find and dig a hole under the wheel, old bushman’s truck👍 I’m waiting to see who carry’s an engine o/haul kit at this tate😂

1 hour ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

This is advice from a motorbike adventure rider. 

Motorbikes have tubeless tyres but he still carries tubes in case of sidewall damage. Also, tyre iron. He inflates tubes for 24 hours to make sure stay inflated.

I think I should add a second can of air/goo, and something for the valve. 

Instead of a jack, I think I would support the plane and dig a hole. 

EDIT: not a good idea to use WD40 on tyres, as Fact hunter points out. 

Up here will get hot and bothered digging a hole plus hands full of dirt.  For less than 0.5 kg I'll keep my jack on board.  Can you it to hit / kill thing that threaten you in the outback, and some other uses.  Probably beat Thor in a hammer fight with it:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flightrite said:

In 43 years driving planes I’ve had two flat tires, one on a twin turbo-prop the other an Airbus, I think I’ll not worry about a jack😂

I want your luck. I've had two in 200 hours with the RV. Both on the NLG, thankfully.

Facthunter is correct, don't use WD-40 on natural rubber products, because it contains a large percentage of petroleum spirit as a carrier.

Despite the WD-40 site saying it is safe for rubber - there's rubber, and there's "rubber".

The manufacturers site says you can use WD-40 on weatherstrips to keep them soft and pliable - but the fact is, weatherstrips don't contain a lot of natural rubber - and if the natural rubber in them is softened by WD-40 - well, that's O.K., because you want weatherstrips to remain soft and pliable. But you don't want rubber tyres and tubes being softened by WD-40.

Weatherstrips are made of EPDM rubber - a thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) mix of plastic and rubber, and a thermoplastic olefin (TPO) polymer/filler blend.

Tyres and tubes still contain a very large percentage of natural rubber, even though they also contain butyl and other ingredients such as oils.

So, the natural rubber in tyres and tubes, WILL be adversely affected by spraying WD-40 on it.

Talcum powder, baby powder, French chalk - all basically the same thing - powdered talc (the main additive is perfumes) - is highly suitable as a rubber lubricant.

Talc used liberally between tube and tyre will prevent a tube from being destroyed if it goes flat at speed, because of its lubricant ability.

I've personally proved this over several adverse, high-speed tyre deflation events on both gravel and bitumen roads.

Talc also reduces heat buildup as a result of friction between tube and tyre - not that that is generally a problem with aircraft, unless you do a lot of high-speed taxiing over long distances.

Grit-free handcleaner makes for a simple tyre bead lubricant, and you can use it to wash your hands when you're finished. Otherwise, a weak solution of washing-up detergent works well, too.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 4
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

Facthunter is correct, don't use WD-40 on natural rubber products, because it contains a large percentage of petroleum spirit as a carrier.

Despite the WD-40 site saying it is safe for rubber - there's rubber, and there's "rubber".

The manufacturers site says you can use WD-40 on weatherstrips to keep them soft and pliable - but the fact is, weatherstrips don't contain a lot of natural rubber - and if the natural rubber in them is softened by WD-40 - well, that's O.K., because you want weatherstrips to remain soft and pliable. But you don't want rubber tyres and tubes being softened by WD-40.

Weatherstrips are made of EPDM rubber - a thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) mix of plastic and rubber, and a thermoplastic olefin (TPO) polymer/filler blend.

Tyres and tubes still contain a very large percentage of natural rubber, even though they also contain butyl and other ingredients such as oils.

So, the natural rubber in tyres and tubes, WILL be adversely affected by spraying WD-40 on it.

Talcum powder, baby powder, French chalk - all basically the same thing - powdered talc (the main additive is perfumes) - is highly suitable as a rubber lubricant.

Talc used liberally between tube and tyre will prevent a tube from being destroyed if it goes flat at speed, because of its lubricant ability.

I've personally proved this over several adverse, high-speed tyre deflation events on both gravel and bitumen roads.

Talc also reduces heat buildup as a result of friction between tube and tyre - not that that is generally a problem with aircraft, unless you do a lot of high-speed taxiing over long distances.

Grit-free handcleaner makes for a simple tyre bead lubricant, and you can use it to wash your hands when you're finished. Otherwise, a weak solution of washing-up detergent works well, too.

How the —— do people on this site know so much? Excellent idea about tyre temps. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

Heavy stuff might be a risk in Turbulence also. Have to be secured well.   I have put grass in a tailwheel when the tyre did bad things. after shimmy. Nev

I saw them do that in an episode off Bush Mechanics 😄

Spinifex saved the day. Although what would save the day even more off driving in the outback is carrying a spare and a jack 😅

• Like 1

Metho and shellac painted on the bead before inflating will stop tyre creep. It was used before the 30's on beaded edge tyres.  Clean off with metho later if required, Nev

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Metho and shellac painted on the bead before inflating will stop tyre creep. It was used before the 30's on beaded edge tyres.  Clean off with metho later if required, Nev

That would work for the Bush Mechanics. Shellac is made from crushed beetles, and they  are already carrying the metho.

• Haha 2

Well, you learn something new every day, I've never heard of metho and shellac being used to hold beads in place. Facthunter must have learned that during his apprenticeship, just after WW1. :cheezy grin:

I guess, with the advent of the amazing range of sealants and adhesives today, there's probably a Sikaflex product designed to hold beads onto rims and which can also be easily peeled off.

Now that brings up the point, that I've not seen anyone mention carrying some Silastic! It's on a par with duct tape/Gorilla tape for holding things together!

I guess you could carry a tube of Silastic but one has to ask, where does it all end? Perhaps a couple of bags of ready-to-mix concrete, to make a slab for under yr prop during start up?😂😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The shellac in metho works. (proven). I doubt silastic would. Its what's used for french polishing. Proper chewing gum will also effect repair for a fuel tank crack. I've had it last for years on a motorbike tank. Nev

• Like 1