12V Noise Filter replacement

I have a 10 amp noise filter (capacitor?) in my power cabling to the intercom/radio. It started to play up (intermittent power supply through it) and needs replacing.

It has 4 wires, Red/Black wires in and Orange/Black wires out. Red/Orange is the Positive and Blacks are the Negative. 

The only noise filters I'm able to find on the inter web only have three wires, 2 pos and one earth?

Can anyone help me with what type of noise filter I need to get to replace my exisiting one? Can't seem to find one similar anywhere? Or can i fit these other types into the existing wiring?

Thanks in advance

David

So, this is a filter , most likely called a common mode choke, which will have inductors in it, and make also, for a good measure, have capacitors.

Given that the earth is not only by the power cable , but by other aircraft connections, and likely by aircraft skin  via the coax if it is a metal skin, depending on the nature of the noise, the 3 wire type is likely just fine.

I would suggest a three wire type to start with. . 

for a VHF radio and intercom, a 2A continuous filter will be fine.

WAGNER components (WES) have a good range online

https://www.wagneronline.com.au/voltage-noise-filters/connectors-power/connectors-and-microphones/communication-accessories/11274/fl/

order code  : NS15S, NS12R , they will all work for you.

chose which one is most easy to mount. the NS15S (boxy one)  will provide slightly better noise reduction compared to the cylindrical one.

• Like 1