INTRODUCING THE NEW ADS-B UPGRADE FOR YOUR T2000SFL TRANSPONDER

Hi fellow forum viewers I have received an interesting email from Microair.

The email says 'INTRODUCING THE NEW ADS-B UPGRADE FOR YOUR T2000SFL TRANSPONDER'.

If you go to their web site and look at the brochure it says:

The new T2000ADSB transponder
delivers seamless integration of
Mode A/C with ADS-B functionality.
With an inbuilt GPS position source
and altitude encoder, the T2000ADSB
redefines simplicity and affordability.

https://www.microair.aero/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/T2000-ADSB-Brochure.pdf

I know Mode-S ADS-B is backward compatible with Mode A/C.

I'm a little puzzled and sure many people out there will know the answer, I do not see any reference to Mode-S in the brochure.

If Mode-S is not part of this Transponder does that mean it does not use a unique code for the aircraft?

• Informative 1

Wondered much the same so emailed Microair:

G’day Microair

Sounds like an affordable upgrade however do you not have to have Mode S capabilities in order to be fully ADSB compliant?

Regards

Thanks for your email.

The short answer is no.

The complicated answer is…. Mode S provides ADSB In and Out but more importantly communicates a significant amount of additional aircraft vector information. Australia is one of very few countries (I actually don’t know any others) where you can no longer buy a Mode A/C on new certified installations (you’re allowed only a Mode S). We are currently challenging CASA but it may take some time to reverse the Mode S decision for LSA operators.  However, for customers with existing Mode A/C installations, then the minimum requirement set by our NAA is for an ADS-B Out device only. The government is now trying to improve the number of ADS-B Out compliant aircraft because (as you can imagine) not everyone has jumped onboard the Mode S bandwagon. It is why we are not currently selling a new T2000ADSB in Australia but only providing the upgrade should you already have an installed T2000SFL.

In most other countries the minimum requirement for operating outside of Class A airspace is only for an ADS-B Out compliant transponder, and the response to our new product has been exceptionally positive seeing as the price includes a GPS source and encoder as one neat lightweight package…

Hope this helps

Cheers

George Pesce

Group General Manager

Microair Avionics and Intelligent Transport Systems

• Informative 1

This is interesting.  I'm hoping that Glen and Mark, et al, who know their avionics, will chime in.

I'd like to know if these could be legally installed in 19 rego'd aircraft - even though not yet in the LSA cat. - (perhaps together with a basic EFB/ADSB-in device) thereby satisfying transponder carriage within Class E,C and D (especially if and when RAAus >> CTA gets approved).  And would the government subsidy still apply?  Of course, if you used it together with a SkyEcho2, say, you'd need to disable one or other of your two ADSB-out sources.  I suppose there are cheaper ways, still, of achieving the same goal.

Edited by Garfly

• 5 months later...