Sting TL 2000 carbon.

Anyone in here own and operate the above A/C? A mate who is not a member here was thinking he’d like to have a closer look at one if on Victoria with a view to buying one? I notice a couple on the market, been there quite a while, maybe not popular? 

Edited by Flightrite

I have owned my Sting 2006 model 912 uls for 6 years I am second owner from new . It is fast and economical to run . It has well balanced controls and has no unpleasant vices. Vne is 165knts and stalls at 35knts and I cruise at 115 to 125knts depending on power settings. Mine has an airmaster electric cs speed prop which is extremely good and combines good short take off and climb 1000+ fpm and cruises 115 at 26”map . Only minus is it runs out of back trim for landing you have to hold a little back pressure on stick but only a little pressure required and it wiggles the tail a little bit in mod turbulence. If you decide to purchase make sure its had the heavier nose wheel strut upgrade which is one of the very few ad,s and bulletins on this aircraft . Tl ultralights have a very good maintenance manual and parts manual all available on their website. Annuals are a very simple task following the manual and requires very little airframe maintenance . 
Hope this helps 

• Agree 1

Great thanks for that info, I’ve screen shot that and sent it on👍
540 kg MTOW seems low? I read that on their site, I think?  Not sure if they have a600 kg version?

Edited by Flightrite

they used to be imported through our local airfield. I don't think they were ever 540 kg. All of the ones I saw were 600 kg and I know the early ones used to wobble through turbulence but the later model which they called the S4 was rocksolid and could fly through a hurricane without losing stability or direction. They seem to be a very well-made and well supported aircraft. The only downside was if you were fat and overweight (I guess you can't be one or the other) and had week upper body it was a little bit difficult to get yourself in and out of the seat some of the heavier and older members had this issue but if you are fit and didn't have 80 years behind you you could do it pretty easily. I found the controls to be very well-balanced and it was honestly like flying your own little fighter jet!

Thanks for that info, sent that on to my mate as well as well. 560 kg (not 540 like I mentioned) is the weight shown on Wiki. 
looks comfy and fast. The way fuel prices are going these types will become very popular👍

don't believe everything you see on Wikipedia because most of it is submitted by you and me and may not be perfectly accurate or it may be specific to some country which has a limit of 560 kg or 540 kg or whatever it is

• 7 months later...