Fuel Used

JG3

I just got curious and added up all the fuel that I've burned in 30 yrs flying. 1000hrs with a 447 @ 11L/hr, 400hrs with a 503 @ 15L/hr, and 1800hrs with an 912s @ 17 L/hr, totals 47,600 litres!

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

It is definitely a case of he or she that burns the most fuel flying wins.

You could have lived some ways out of town and used that much driving to church for 30 years.🤔🤔

Edited by Thruster88
  • Haha 1

Don't feel bad that's less than a B727 Mel-Per and back.. I was always conscious of the large amount of fuel being used especially when there's only a handful of us training in an empty plane at low altitudes. Nev

• Like 1

My figures won`t be accurate but I reckon the accurate figures would be higher, rather than lower...Keep in mind my figures are based on my, one Robin Fuji 440,  4 x Rotax 582 grey head and my current Rotax 503DCDI. 

Flying hours over 38 years, 3,000 plus.

Fuel used @ 15lt per hr X 3,000 = 45,000 lts.

Oil in fuel @ 50:1 = 900 lts

Average fuel cost @ $1.2 per lt = $54,000

Average oil cost @ $8.7 per lt = $7,830

Total, $ 61,830.

Franco,

Ps, I`d never given it much thought and wouldn`t have believed it, without doing the figures.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I'd hate to think how much fuel some of the boaties go thru.  Especially the big buggers with a couple of 300hp engines on the back, that get up on the plane when they're 50m from the boat ramp.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

I'd hate to think how much fuel some of the boaties go thru.  Especially the big buggers with a couple of 300hp engines on the back, that get up on the plane when they're 50m from the boat ramp.  

Up here at least 400 to 600 litres is a lightish fuel load.

My 17 has a 200 litre tank and its a shocker to fill.

• Informative 1

26 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

My 40 footer had two 500 litre diesel tanks. 

Let,s me get fuel at wholesale rate.

spacesailor

Refuelled at Gove years ago, an Indonesian fishing vessel was ahead of us on the fuel wharf and we would have liked to pay their price as we paid aussie price and they were untaxed being international vessel.

• Informative 1

The most amazing boat and refuelling exercise I've ever encountered, was when the Missus and I were touring around Fremantle Harbour one afternoon, I think it was about 1991. Suddenly, we spotted this humungous boat - all plastic fantastic and futuristic styling, complete with massive satellite dish and gleaming gold fittings everywhere. Absolutely awed, we walked over to inspect it. It was the "Oceana C", the just freshly built, 55M runabout for the Sultan of Brunei!

I watched ga-ga as a bloke hung onto a 100mm fuel hose that was ticking over a litre meter that currently read about 60,000 litres! I asked the bloke how much fuel it took, and what was powering it?

He said, "It takes 83,000 litres, and there's 2 engines producing 7,000HP, driving 2 KaMeWa waterjets. We're doing the delivery run! We have to fuel up again in Exmouth, then across to Christmas Island, and fuel up again, then we've got just enough to reach Brunei!"

I said to the bloke, "I guess it helps to own a large number of oil wells if you want to run something like this!" He just grinned - Oceanfast did very well, out of that little order!

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/oceana-i

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

I remember when a mate refuelled the Antonov at Rockhampton (delivering the Singapore equipment a few years back) and when asked they said another 25,000 thanks.  Forget the actual amount.  Did see her through the fence one night and it was huge.

• Like 2

I remember 2 tugs towing a floating oil rig from South Africa to new Zealand. They anchored the rig off Albany and used the tugs to ferry fuel out for the rest of the journey. They were there 2 days and took 2 million liters I was told. 

Fuel used in lifetime so far:

Motorcycles: Average 20km/litre

c.200,000km/20= 10 tonnes fuel.

Petrol & diesel Cars: Average 9km/litre

c.400,000 km /9= 44 tonnes fuel.

Jodel: Average 11 litres/hr 

350hrs X 11= 3.8 tonnes.

Total about 58 tonnes fuel over fifty+ years. 

Maybe offset somewhat by the hundreds of trees I’ve nurtured to maturity, each one a few tonnes.

But then add fuel used on trains, ferries, buses and big aeroplanes and I’ve been a very greedy boy!

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

When I filled those tanks, for the Fiji trip, the wife kept telling me " it,s too dear ". Dear !.

But l knew the more l pumped the lower the cents per litre." Made sence to me ", started at $ 1.45. & 

Ended up after 700 litres, at wholesale price, so the remainder was a free bonus of fuel.

spacesailor

7 hours ago, spacesailor said:

When I filled those tanks, for the Fiji trip, the wife kept telling me " it,s too dear ". Dear !.

But l knew the more l pumped the lower the cents per litre." Made sence to me ", started at $ 1.45. & 

Ended up after 700 litres, at wholesale price, so the remainder was a free bonus of fuel.

spacesailor

You want to try owning 4 trucks at $2.30 per litre. It's killing my business. Been trying to wear it but will have to pass it on if things don't improve. Fuel companies are not known for reducing prices once they go up.  I would hate to think what its costing the airlines to operate at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

I understand your pain BrendAn, we’re running 2 truck and dogs around town ATM, they topping 300 litres a day each, don’t know where this will end but it doesn’t look pretty.

fortunately last year I swapped my I0 360 burning 41L avgas for a Rotax burning 16-18L mogas, best move I have ever made. Don’t have to beg the bank manager for fuel anymore. 

Wow 47,600 Litres John! not sure if I want to know how much fuel I have burnt in the sky. If my wife saw those figures I’ll be buying roses for a very long time.

Steve 

Edited by Steve L
  • Like 3

I remember once watching a crayboat at Kalbarri filling up with diesel at the jetty.  The numbers on the bowser were whizzing around so fast that it was impossible to read the last 2 digits, and it was showing whole litres, not tenths.  It was up to several thousand in what seemed like no time at all.  Paying for that would focus the attention!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do not feel the least bit guilty burning up the nations precious oil reserves, after all there is no point leaving it for our kids 'cause they will probably only waste it.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/07/2022 at 8:11 PM, JG3 said:

I just got curious and added up all the fuel that I've burned in 30 yrs flying. 1000hrs with a 447 @ 11L/hr, 400hrs with a 503 @ 15L/hr, and 1800hrs with an 912s @ 17 L/hr, totals 47,600 litres!

That is a lot of fuel JG3‼️

One litre of mogas weighs 0.737 kg. Your 544 kg MTOW aircraft (and ultralight predecessors before that) have lifted a total of 35 tons of fuel. 

Mate has a 72ft Sunseeker. 2400hp from twin MAN V12 dual turbo intercooled diesels. 220 L/H per engine at about 28 knots. From Sydney to Brisbane we added 7000 l at Coffs and another 7 at Manly on arrival.

• Informative 1