912 unloaded

BrendAn

Can you run a 912 at fast idle without a prop. I imagine the gearbox would put a bit of load on it anyway.  The reason I ask is I want to warm the motor up in my shed to check it over and change the oil. Being a 4 stroke I can't see a problem but thought I better ask first 

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

Bit hard to have a longish flight with no propeller 😂

It's fully optioned with propeller. I just didn't want to run it in my shed although it would blow the cobwebs out. It's an apartment complex. Can't push it out into the yard and run because shed opens onto street.

Why wouldn't the oil warm up . Does it not circulate from tank to engine and back to tank.  I can just leave it till after a flight but I was hoping to give it a good service first.

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

Bit hard to have a longish flight with no propeller 😂

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

That's fairly obvious. Nev.

1 hour ago, Garfly said:

(That was a joke, Joyce.    ;- )

8 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

What's your problem

No problem. We like a good joke on this site.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Garfly said:

No problem. We like a good joke on this site.

No worries. I won't bother asking questions.  I will look up the rotax manual.

18 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

It's fully optioned with propeller. I just didn't want to run it in my shed although it would blow the cobwebs out. It's an apartment complex. Can't push it out into the yard and run because shed opens onto street.

Why wouldn't the oil warm up . Does it not circulate from tank to engine and back to tank.  I can just leave it till after a flight but I was hoping to give it a good service first.

1 minute ago, BrendAn said:

Rotax say not to run the engine without a prop. It probably has more to do with lawyers and arse covering than actual engine damage.  There really is no advantage in hot oil for an oil change. 

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

13 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Lots of crossed wires here. Never mind.

• Like 1

Brendan, I presume being hot ensures more of the oil drains out and carries more of the gunk with it. 

Thinking outside the box: who says running the engine is the only way to warm up the oil? During WWII the Swedes kept the oil hot and added it to their fighter planes just before they scrambled.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Rotax say not to run the engine without a prop. It probably has more to do with lawyers and arse covering than actual engine damage.  There really is no advantage in hot oil for an oil change. 

I will change it cold then. It has a Ryco z134 on it. Should I be fitting a genuine rotax oil filter. I read they have a different bypass setup in them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

Brendan, I presume being hot ensures more of the oil drains out and carries more of the gunk with it. 

Thinking outside the box: who says running the engine is the only way to warm up the oil? During WWII the Swedes kept the oil hot and added it to their fighter planes just before they scrambled.

With the 912 all the gunk gets returned to the tank and some will settle to the bottom. The top of the tank is removable if one is wanting to clean the bottom.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Disconnect the oil pipes carefully and cover the ends and clean out the tank with a pressure gun and long brush. Be careful with volatiles and flame and use lint free brush or rags. All I was  trying to do was answer a proper question. It's not easy to purge all the oil from this system and if you do I would suggest you prime the delivery side of things before starting the engine. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It's not easy to purge all the oil from this system and if you do I would suggest you prime the delivery side of things before starting the engine. Nev

Beats me why engines don’t have an electric pump to get oil flowing before startup.

• Like 1

I recommend downloading the Rotax Line and Heavy Maintenance manuals: they're free.
It tells you how to do an oil change, including important details like DONT turn over the engine once you have begun to empty the oil out. The idea is to keep the lifters flooded and so avoid getting air in them.............

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Good idea, OK, but something else to go  wrong in the  big scheme of things.  I always prime a new engine fully before starting it.  You can hear the air getting out of the lifters and filling the pushrods.  I was going to add that getting all the oil  out need not be the aim here for the reasons I bob has mentioned  but if there's sediment in the tank it's worth cleaning out  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

Yes, Facthunter, that's why I'm recommending the manuals: they also contain the routine for priming a new 912, which is done with compressed air......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, IBob said:

I recommend downloading the Rotax Line and Heavy Maintenance manuals: they're free.
It tells you how to do an oil change, including important details like DONT turn over the engine once you have begun to empty the oil out. The idea is to keep the lifters flooded and so avoid getting air in them.............

I agree it is a good idea to keep the external oil lines full however all new Rotax 912 and those getting a five year rubber replacement are assembled with empty lines (have just done one). The lifter thing I think is an old wives tale, yes air could get in there but it will sort itself out. Yes follow the procedure to purge air out and get oil pressure before starting. 

The fact that oil remains in the external lines and cooler when changing oil shows that getting a maximum drain with hot oil is pointless.  

• Like 2
  • Informative 1