Who is heading to Ausfly 22 at Narromine

10 hours ago, walrus said:

Windy.com says forget it if based in Victoria - rain, snow thunderstorm activity and 15 knot + headwinds.  I’ve. been stuck in Dubbo for three days earlier this year and the western plains zoo has lost its charms. I did register and pay but unfortunately I’m a no show. I guess it’s doable from the North in something fast but from Victoria it’s a no go for me as at this moment.

I was hoping to fly up on Thursday and back on Saturday (early morning commitment on Sunday), but with Windy forecasting low cloud, rain and strong winds throughout that period I'm afraid it will be a no-show for me from the south side of Mt Macedon. 

Alright, I;'ve had another look at the lastest numbers

going from cowra, saturday is a no go, we'd get out in the morning - that looks o-k just  but we'd never get back in the afternoon, into the front and all that is going with it ... no f-ing way . 

however for a day visit, sunday looks to be a goer, Sunday looks OK for a day visit.  who will turn up on Sunday ?

We just had a vicious low-pressure system pass through the S.W. of W.A., and it's currently centred in the Bight. If it continues its Easterly path, you're due to get some nasty weather in NSW and VIC.

The winds were particularly strong with this Low, far stronger than we've had for the last month.

http://satview.bom.gov.au/

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/4day_col.shtml

Edited by onetrack

This  morning (Thursday) is my latest fuelling, packing and checking operation but its a No Go.

Windy.com suggests I might have a window to go North on Friday morning early with not too bad a headwind component, but Sunday return is not possible.

We are talking about dodging fronts with moderate  rain, snow, Ice and even TS - don't even think about it.

• Agree 4

FWIW I find that the most accurate forecasting is from Windy.com that uses a number of different world wide and local forecasting models. I have mine set to use the ECMWF (European Centre for Medium range weather forecasts)which is the most accurate most of the time. The US based GFS is pretty poor, the Swiss based Meteoblue is pretty good, the German ICON not as good & the BOM Access system is somewhere in the middle.

Does anyone bother with NAIPS any more?

• Informative 1

Well tonight, it looks a bit better. I think depart SAT morning YCWR , but return might have to be Sunday.

the problem- front coming through on saturday night - I'd rather not have my aircraft in the paddock with a vicious wetaher front coming in.... and soft wet ground (so peoples tie downs are not terribly effective)

Dont want to be the transmitter of bad tidings, but....

Not seeing any big wind Saturday night on windy. We do have an excellent offer of accommodation Saturday night. Worst case the RV is already in the maintenance hangar for it's annual next week.

20220914_164748.jpg

And the result was, beautiful blue sky there Friday, and almost the same Saturday, with some wind.

Matt Hall and Emma McDonald did a great display Saturday afternoon, Emma leading in the EXTRA and Matt in the MX following.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1