Old, Small, Grass Runway Airport in Richmond, Va on Laburnum Avenue circa early - mid 1940s

JRandy

My family lived in Richmond during WW 2.  My father worked for the U.S. Patent Office which was temporarily moved from D.C. to an old tobacco warehouse on Lombardy St during WW 2.  I was about 10 to 13 years old.  We lived on Laburnum Ave off Hermitage Road.  There was a small, grass runway airport on Laburnum Rd.  I believe it was near the end of Laburnum close to the railroad yard and backed up to a wooded area of Bryan Park.  I was fascinated by the airport and spent as much time as possible there.   I only remember two names - Tommy Pollack (spelling?) and a man first name Benny.  Times were different then.  I was even taken for rides in Piper Cubs a few times.  I was allowed to even take the controls and make a few gentle turns. 

So I wondered if anyone else might remember the airport and could tell more background and history of it. 

Thank you for allowing me to post on your forum.

JRandy

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Hi JR, welcome to Rec Flying. Despite having a .com domain name, this is an Australian based website, but we have members from around the globe, a few from the US. There is a US/Canada General Discussion forum to connect with your countrymen, but you are more than welcome to participate in any section of the site. There maybe someone in that forum who can answer your query. 

• Like 1