Burning Off Time of the Year

JG3

The scene today with Kilcoy airfield thro the smoke. All under control.

From circuit height I could count 10 other fires all round. Lots of smoke.....

Burning off.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Somerset UK eh..🙂

Kilcoy (QLD) is in the Somerset Council area. 

Looks like Europe is due a real BIG fire. Here’s a report from the 1880’s of smoke that you could barely see the sun through and covering from the UK through Italy:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/101449843

Edited by Flying Binghi

Fortunately, we have good weather records for many centuries to peruse as to the variability of the weather from year to year.

I had a farmer client in the 1970's who had kept very comprehensive weather records for over 50 years, from the 1920's to the 1970's.

When I inquired as to whether he had found any patterns in the weather or seasons, his reply was, "The only thing that keeping weather records has told me, is that there is no pattern to the weather! - only extremes!"

https://premium.weatherweb.net/weather-in-history-1800-to-1849-ad/

I'm personally of the opinion, the "dry fogs" mentioned in the 1880 newspaper article in FB's link were nothing more than residue from volcanic eruptions - and the mention of "sulphurous fumes" in the descriptions, tends to lend weight to my opinion. There were also very large bushfires in Canada in 1870, whereby the smoke from these circled the globe and produced serious air pollution in the U.K., as well as Europe.

Others have probably noted the very reddish mornings and evenings in recent months - reportedly caused by the stratospheric dust from the Tongan eruption, and predicted to be with us for 2 or 3 more years.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

Fortunately, we have good weather records for many centuries to peruse as to the variability of the weather from year to year.

I had a farmer client in the 1970's who had kept very comprehensive weather records for over 50 years, from the 1920's to the 1970's.

When I inquired as to whether he had found any patterns in the weather or seasons, his reply was, "The only thing that keeping weather records has told me, is that there is no pattern to the weather! - only extremes!"

https://premium.weatherweb.net/weather-in-history-1800-to-1849-ad/

I'm personally of the opinion, the "dry fogs" mentioned in the 1880 newspaper article in FB's link were nothing more than residue from volcanic eruptions - and the mention of "sulphurous fumes" in the descriptions, tends to lend weight to my opinion. There were also very large bushfires in Canada in 1870, whereby the smoke from these circled the globe and produced serious air pollution in the U.K., as well as Europe.

Others have probably noted the very reddish mornings and evenings in recent months - reportedly caused by the stratospheric dust from the Tongan eruption, and predicted to be with us for 2 or 3 more years.

The article covers events spread over many hundreds of years so may very well have covered what it referenced as “volcanic phenomena”

At other times there is reference to smokey smelling fogs.

“…In 1557, after a very hot July, August, and September, thick, ill smelling fogs made their appearance…”

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/101449843

Sydney " hazard reduction fire " killed over 400 by the smoke & another 10 by burns.

Not much reported over this.

And hundreds hospitalised. 

' SOME BLOOODY HAZARD '

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Grammer

16 hours ago, facthunter said:

South Western France has had fires before but having the whole country run out of water as well?. Nev

Yes, and yes.

Do a Trove search. Considering it is an Australian based newspaper etc history site there is a surprising amount of news from around the world.

I believe in global warming, but attributing extreme events to it is nonsense. For example, the Brisbane flood of 1893 was way bigger than the 1974 floods. If Cyclone Tracey and the Bris 1974 floods happened today, they would be taken as PROOF of global warming. 

• Informative 1

Not by people who know these things. Weather and climate change are not the same. TRENDS are more reliable indicators and change of fauna and flora  being found in higher latitudes than previously and ice melt and glacial retreat.  Consistently higher desert temps also.(covered in trend). Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 01/09/2022 at 11:10 AM, facthunter said:

Not by people who know these things. Weather and climate change are not the same. TRENDS are more reliable indicators and change of fauna and flora  being found in higher latitudes than previously and ice melt and glacial retreat.  Consistently higher desert temps also.(covered in trend). Nev

Who are the “people who know these things” ?..🤨

Glacier are not static entities. They is either growing or shrinking. A good snow dump for a few years up top could take fifty years to come out the bottom as glacier ‘advance’ - and the reverse of a few low snow years later expressing as glacier ‘retreat’. 

On 31/08/2022 at 10:01 AM, turboplanner said:

What is the current weather pattern up there - El Nino?

Don't think its El Nino.... but right now in the UK and, as far as I know, in Spain and France, there have been a spate of thunderstorms and flash flooding.  Farmers are happy...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There is a great true story about the US's best and most reliable weather observer. He was so good they used him to calibrate others.

But then his records went haywire... he had gone on a vacation to florida and taken his gear with him.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

There is a great true story about the US's best and most reliable weather observer. He was so good they used him to calibrate others.

But then his records went haywire... he had gone on a vacation to florida and taken his gear with him.

Nice one...