Swing up door hinge

Morning all, looking at options for continuous hinge for a swing up door on a fiberglass fuselage, im looking at the 2024 T3 Alu continuous hinge and yes it is expensive but maybe the safest option,

interested in peoples opinion, am i overdoing it? 

what hve you used?

any input would be appreciated

thanks in advance 

Robert

8 hours ago, Peasant_Pilot said:

Yes it is flat to flat surface. Piano hinge will work, I'm more curious as to Wether it needs to be 2024 T3 or 6061 or if just normal aluminium piano hinge would suffice

I used normal aluminium piano hinge.  When you look at it it's riveted every 40mm and the number of connections you have around the wire over the length of the door top mean it would have to be a fairly catastrophic force to pull that off, especially given the rest of the door is only held shut at one or 2 points.

Just noticed you're joining to fibreglass fuse, not sure if that makes a difference as my fuse is aluminium, but as far as the hinge goes I'm ok with it being standard ally instead of 2024 / 6061.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 22/08/2022 at 9:38 PM, Marty_d said:

I used normal aluminium piano hinge.  When you look at it it's riveted every 40mm and the number of connections you have around the wire over the length of the door top mean it would have to be a fairly catastrophic force to pull that off, especially given the rest of the door is only held shut at one or 2 points.

Just noticed you're joining to fibreglass fuse, not sure if that makes a difference as my fuse is aluminium, but as far as the hinge goes I'm ok with it being standard ally instead of 2024 / 6061.

within my head i can see the std aluminium hinge working as its not a control surface and once the door is shut for flight it is completely stationary. I can't see it fatiguing like a wing spar or wing panel etc. The original hinges from the manufacturer were never sufficient and the previous owner had replaced them with stock steel household door hinges. If I go the milspec ms20257 ALU hinge I think it would be ok. It is used fairly heavily for Cowl mounting etc......and there is a lot more movement in a cowl.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, facthunter said:

If you just make it  real strong you might move the failure point somewhere else. The worse case is where it flaps when it's unlatched in flight.  What is it's failure Mode?. Nev

I guess if there is a lot of movent in flight or if flown with the doors swung up I could imagine fatigue being a real issue. The doors seal shut for flying and it isn't setup to fly with them open. It's a tough one though, I want it to be safe aswell

Rob

Attaching to FRP is best done by laminating steel plates of sufficient thickness on the rough side of the laminate. Second best is fitting a washer on the clamping side of the FRP to avoid a rivet or nut chewing out the material.

Whether the door rips off and disppears in flight depends on the flow around the fuselage and the fer/fat angle of the piano hinge.

I do aerial photography with a small hand held camera in a C172. Its window opens but the roar inside means you need to shout, the camera needs a VERY tight grip, and a lot of force to get it out in the slipstream, but there's  spot up forward where the wash coming off the windscreen gives some protection. Each different aircraft design will be different.

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

Attaching to FRP is best done by laminating steel plates of sufficient thickness on the rough side of the laminate. Second best is fitting a washer on the clamping side of the FRP to avoid a rivet or nut chewing out the material.

Whether the door rips off and disppears in flight depends on the flow around the fuselage and the fer/fat angle of the piano hinge.

I do aerial photography with a small hand held camera in a C172. Its window opens but the roar inside means you need to shout, the camera needs a VERY tight grip, and a lot of force to get it out in the slipstream, but there's  spot up forward where the wash coming off the windscreen gives some protection. Each different aircraft design will be different.

It's a very good point. My intention is to have backing plates on the inside of the cockpit. 

• Like 1

The Nynja has a mil spec aluminium hinges on the door hinge points upper piece opens up (can be opened up to 70 knots)  and lower piece opens forward.  I have full length hinges on both locations.  If yo look in the Skyranger thread and then in New Nynja to area you will see the hinge in most videos on that site.  The more recent videos are super wide setting so will show the most of the hinge. 

33 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

The Nynja has a mil spec aluminium hinges on the door hinge points upper piece opens up (can be opened up to 70 knots)  and lower piece opens forward.  I have full length hinges on both locations.  If yo look in the Skyranger thread and then in New Nynja to area you will see the hinge in most videos on that site.  The more recent videos are super wide setting so will show the most of the hinge. 

Is it the 2024 t3 milspec hinges? Or just the normal 5000 series milspec?