One Of The Last Complete New 582 Engines…..

jackc

Subject says it all!  My new 582 has arrived today after 8 months since ordering.  Total cost delivered was around $14,800 complete with  everything from prop hub to flywheel. Probably one of the most expensive 582s ever made🙂 

90334C20-E6B2-4062-B477-1570F8882E6C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Winner 3

If you wanted to stick with 2-stroke dinosaurs, you could've acquired a Gaokin 800cc 2-stroke for around $5K.

I can't see how anyone can justify nearly $15K for an engine that has been in production for 33 years, and has produced 30,000 units of them.

Gaokin claim 300hrs lifespan on a bench test, their 800cc engine produces a lot more power than a 582, with only a 9kg weight penalty.

https://www.gk-engine.com/gaokin-power/atv-engine/800cc-2-wheel-motorcycle-tricycle-for-freight.html

• Haha 1

Not a snowflakes chance in h**l I owned a Chinese Motorcycle import business a number of years ago, at least when a bike blew up, you could jump off and walk, bit hard at 5000ft.  I would not take one of those engines for a gift as my tinny does not need a new anchor 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

In the weight and speed class that Jackc is flying in, would it really hurt to incur a forced landing when the fan stopped? Seems to me the chances of structural failure in a microlight are higher than the engine failure scenario.

Fortunately, the grass strip for the testing is 1.7km long gliding field which is good, with a big paddock off the end of the strip.

• Informative 1

I can't recall a structural failure but I know of a lot of two stroke engine failures. When they were common, I've pulled over some with compression  I wouldn't use a Victa Lawnmower with.  With a draggy plane there's a height you must reach to achieve an non crash type arrival with an engine failure. It's around 150 feet, lower if your climb is at extra speed and God  Knows what if you are on minimum climb speed..  (Much higher). Nev

• Informative 2

25 years ago I had a cable break at 400ft on  the same 1.7km strip and managed a land straight ahead with no problem. The glider was a Blanik.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, jackc said:

25 years ago I had a cable break at 400ft on  the same 1.7km strip and managed a land straight ahead with no problem. The glider was a Blanik.

I've been in a cable break at Benalla and we landed straight ahead also, however gliders are made for gliding and have an airbrake. Ultralights without power are closer to a brick, and most have woefully inadequate braking if you do get down and start heading for a fence.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 29/08/2022 at 6:56 PM, onetrack said:

If you wanted to stick with 2-stroke dinosaurs, you could've acquired a Gaokin 800cc 2-stroke for around $5K.

I can't see how anyone can justify nearly $15K for an engine that has been in production for 33 years, and has produced 30,000 units of them.

Gaokin claim 300hrs lifespan on a bench test, their 800cc engine produces a lot more power than a 582, with only a 9kg weight penalty.

https://www.gk-engine.com/gaokin-power/atv-engine/800cc-2-wheel-motorcycle-tricycle-for-freight.html

Only a 9 kg weight penalty. And people go on about a 912 having a 1 kg penalty over a jab 2200

23 hours ago, jackc said:

In gliders 500 ft up AGL is safe to turn as they loose about 200 ft in turn.  I was trained to call aloud when passing 500 ft AGL on the winch launch (shows realise losing an emergency option); if cable breaks or launch speed decays below that its bung off (release cable attachment ring) and straight ahead to land.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It's not just the height above the drome you reach but how far from the drome you reach it as well.  Nev

re gliding when above 500 ft AGL you could luck in a nice thermal.  much higher and your only option is a turn and modifed approach as you may not be able to lose hieght even with max air bakes and cross control side slip; like all flying be ahead and ready with safe options.  At this stage (500 foot) on a winch launch you will be about halfway down the minimum specified 1,200 meter runway (min 1,200 meters and 3 wing spans wide) and on or close to the centre line.  McMaster field that Jack mentions is 1,700 meters in length so a very ideal airfield length.

Edited by Blueadventures

WELL there's no point on being too high close in then, but if that were the case you'd delay the turn. It is up to you to make the call.. Any tug I've been behind isn't likely to get you too high too close to the strip. Nev

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

WELL there's no point on being too high close in then, but if that were the case you'd delay the turn. It is up to you to make the call.. Any tug I've been behind isn't likely to get you too high too close to the strip. Nev

Agree they take you to where they are finding thermals that day; or sounds like an instructor's training plan and briefing with the tug pilot.

• Informative 1

On 30/8/2022 at 1:02 PM, onetrack said:

In the weight and speed class that Jackc is flying in, would it really hurt to incur a forced landing when the fan stopped? Seems to me the chances of structural failure in a microlight are higher than the engine failure scenario.

Yes. 

The only structural failures in Thrusters I think have been the result of failure to inspect properly and or substandard repair to damaged aircraft,  straightening critical parts etc.

The 582 has been a brilliant engine for me over the last 32 years. New complete in 2015 with B gearbox was $7700, excellent value for a light 65hp engine that will do 500 hours easily.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2