Jabiru Scimitar prop

Bruce Tuncks

They told me that these were selling like hot cakes so of course I bought one. $2000, and to make things worse you need a new spinner at $300.

Anyway, the prop looks good but it came with no instructions. Does anybody know the torque to tighten the main ( 1/2inch spanner size ) bolts to?

Any other comments about these props would be welcome.

• Like 1

I have all the propellor instructions for Bruce, right here - they were included with my latest purchase from AliExpress ....

Do not swallow propellor parts, or an ambulance will say hello.

Do not burn propellor parts in a fire, or you will need protective clothing.

Do not hit propellor on ground, or your propellor will quickly be damage.

Do not litter ground with broken propellor parts, otherwise beg for mercy as a prayer.

Do not mix different propellor parts, otherwise look to us to buy some other.

Do not disassemble propellor parts, otherwise sharp parts will let you know hands can bleed.

I'm pleased to be able to offer Bruce such useful assistance with his new purchase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here ya go:

2.5 Applicability
2.5.1 Models
This manual contains JABIRU recommended procedures and instructions for ground handling, servicing and
maintaining the following Jabiru propeller models:

4A482U0D - 2200 Scimitar Propeller Assy Ground Adjustable, 2 Blade Composite.
4A484E0D - 3300 Scimitar Propeller Assy Ground Adjustable, 2 Blade Composite.

https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/JPM0001-4.pdf

• Informative 1

The Scimitar prop is made by Bolly for Jabiru and is preset to their recommended pitch. It is ground adjustable though so if the pitch doesn't suit your kind of flying it is easy to adjust.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks guys...  I didn't know it was made by bolly.

Yep I downloaded and printed off the manuals, but for example it didn't say whether the one I had bought had already been balanced.

As regards balancing...  the 4 bolts which attach the prop to the engine could instead attach to a plate. Then you could make a small hole in the center of the plate and use this for balancing.

Maybe a string or fine wire to suspend the prop from this point.

• Informative 1

I purchased a Bolly BOS 5 (Bolly Optima Series 5) 2 blade prop for my 3300A engine in 2018. It is the top of the line Bolly and came as a kit with all hardware and a manual with installation, pitch adjustment settings, maintenance etc and certification including balance data. My assumption is that the Jabiru Scimitar would be produced to the same level of detail.

The Scimitar price is a quite a bit higher than mine but it is ready to fly. The Bolly website shows that the price for the BOS 5 has not increased since 2018. Inclusive of Spinner and freight to me I paid $1,709.00. There was some work to do as I had to assemble everything, do the cutouts for the blade in the spinner, install the nut plates to the back plate and drill the attachment holes in the spinner & of course set the pitch. It took me about 4 goes to get the pitch where I wanted it which was and still is 3300 rpm S&L at 2000 feet.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

kg, I reckon, from your info, that  Jabiru have done a bit of work and put on a big markup. The thing arrived assembled and the spinner was drilled and cut-out. There were some crack-indicator blobs of paint around the pitch-adjusting bolts too, which leads me to think that the pitch was set at the Jabiru factory. I will find out next week I hope.

• Informative 1