Flex not flutter • FlightChops on the Super Patriot (new Cub variant)

Garfly

These excerpts from the YT Comments go to the main theme of FC's recent video:

Pinned by FlightChops
Oh gosh, please don't call the tail motion "flutter"! For the last 40 years my job has been the prevention of flutter (that is, aeroelastic instability) for military and commercial aircraft, using sophisticated analysis, ground test, and flight test. If you got that Cub going fast enough, the tail would inevitably flutter and come off. But that's not what you're seeing in these videos. It does seem like a lot of motion, but it's a dynamic response to unsteady loads. Flutter is a very different phenomenon, involving self-excitation.
Thanks for the insights here. I think it is safe to say a lot of GA pilots, myself included could stand to learn more about what “flutter” really is.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Yenn said:

Student. It looks as if your instructor is not doing his job. He should have checked W & B and also found the disconnected trim during the pre flight.

As the G&S ditty goes: Things are seldom what they seem, skimmed milk masquerades as cream  (vice versa, too  ;- )

As it happens, our SP has close to 30,000 stick and rudder hours as an aggy/fire guy - with a soft spot for all manner of flying things.

But he insists he's still learning; thus the moniker.  (One of these days he'll pass that test and get a licence.  ;- )

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1