Weak bolts

BrendAn

Where can I buy good quality bolts in Vic.

I purchased grade 8 bolts for my prop hub from a local bearing service and they seem to be brittle .

I snapped one without even trying. 8mm X 120. Would Bert flood carry special bolts for this task.IMG20220926155241.thumb.jpg.fcb8906a787e7bc3361a2ce0e444792c.jpgIMG20220926154646.thumb.jpg.81d77663504a589b328ac3856c478ed6.jpgIMG20220926155325.thumb.jpg.756a9466b5fb37fa3f69743c2557b3dd.jpg

• Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Unfortunately AN bolts don't come in metric as far as I am aware. Commercial bolts now are a lucky dip, lowest bidder gets the wholesale.  

yes. i tried the lame workshop first but they did not anything to match.

17 minutes ago, facthunter said:

You could have them made from appropriate bar stock. I often have to do that. Some metals may require heat treatment and that must be spot on. .Nev

thanks. might have to do that if nothing is available.

55 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Where can I buy good quality bolts in Vic.

I purchased grade 8 bolts for my prop hub from a local bearing service and they seem to be brittle .

I snapped one without even trying. 8mm X 120. Would Bert flood carry special bolts for this task.IMG20220926155241.thumb.jpg.fcb8906a787e7bc3361a2ce0e444792c.jpgIMG20220926154646.thumb.jpg.81d77663504a589b328ac3856c478ed6.jpgIMG20220926155325.thumb.jpg.756a9466b5fb37fa3f69743c2557b3dd.jpg

What brand prop are you fitting?  The manufacturer should be able to supply bolts.  I also recall that Bolly had a supply of some metric thread bolts.   Good you found out now and terrible they aren't grade 8.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Blueadventures said:

What brand prop are you fitting?  The manufacturer should be able to supply bolts.  I also recall that Bolly had a supply of some metric thread bolts.   Good you found out now and terrible they aren't grade 8.

warp drive . i have the original bolts that were fitted without the  hub extension. they seem to be a good quality black bolt, i did not like the look of those plated bolts when i got them.

5 minutes ago, Bosi72 said:

Did you try 

http://www.propbits.com/

They are in YMMB, but you need to know exact part number that you'd normally look on aircraftspruce. 

thanks bosi. i will call in there tomorrow and see what they have.  but would they do metric rotax stuff.

4 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

I would try and get some unbrako socket head cap screws, they are the real deal. There is always a possibility of counterfeiting a name brand. Available in metric 8.8 and 12.9 grade 

https://www.unbrako.com.au/

excellent, i forgot about them, they are only 10 minutes from my flat. i will try them in the morning.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bosi72 said:

TBH I don't know, but if these are the bolts you're after, I would be asking if they have them (Part# 05-06757
MFR Model# 01-60-001)

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/duc_swirlwindspn-hardware.php?clickkey=212019

they maybe what i am after. if unbrako can not help i will try them. those duc props are a nice bit of kit, lots of good information on the website.

Brendan, that bolt is not a Grade 8 bolt, which is an SAE standard - and Grade 8 bolts are a medium carbon low-alloy steel with a tensile strength of 150,000 psi (1034 MPa)

Your fractured bolt is a Metric 8.8 grade, which is only equivalent to Grade 5 in SAE, which has a tensile strength of 150,000 psi (827 Mpa).

A lot of fasteners are produced today with unsatisfactory quality, and of course, they come from China. This is not to say all Chinese fasteners are poor quality, you just need to ensure the fastener brand name is a quality brand name.

Unbrako socket head fasteners are a guaranteed product, and their standard socket head grade is Grade 9 in SAE, which has a tensile strength of 170,000 to 190,000 psi (1172 to 1310 MPa), depending on the fastener shank diameter.

The metric equivalent of Grade 8 in SAE is 10.9, and the metric equivalent of Grade 9 in SAE is 12.9.

Below is a website with inch and metric fastener head markings and their grades.

https://www.aftfasteners.com/grades-of-bolts-bolt-grade-markings-bolt-strength-chart/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Brendan, that bolt is not a Grade 8 bolt, which is an SAE standard - and Grade 8 bolts are a medium carbon low-alloy steel with a tensile strength of 150,000 psi (1034 MPa)

Your fractured bolt is a Metric 8.8 grade, which is only equivalent to Grade 5 in SAE, which has a tensile strength of 150,000 psi (827 Mpa).

A lot of fasteners are produced today with unsatisfactory quality, and of course, they come from China. This is not to say all Chinese fasteners are poor quality, you just need to ensure the fastener brand name is a quality brand name.

Unbrako socket head fasteners are a guaranteed product, and their standard socket head grade is Grade 9 in SAE, which has a tensile strength of 170,000 to 190,000 psi (1172 to 1310 MPa), depending on the fastener shank diameter.

The metric equivalent of Grade 8 in SAE is 10.9, and the metric equivalent of Grade 9 in SAE is 12.9.

Below is a website with inch and metric fastener head markings and their grades.

https://www.aftfasteners.com/grades-of-bolts-bolt-grade-markings-bolt-strength-chart/

thanks. going to unbrako in the morning.

• Like 1

Be careful! An M8 grade 8.8 bolt should be just fine. There is something else going on. Your torque wrench sounds dodgy.

‘’Furthermore, if you over specify the bolts to a higher grade, you may lose fatigue strength.

48 minutes ago, walrus said:

Be careful! An M8 grade 8.8 bolt should be just fine. There is something else going on. Your torque wrench sounds dodgy.

‘’Furthermore, if you over specify the bolts to a higher grade, you may lose fatigue strength.

Good point. I work mine on a know bolt a  few times (usually a hangar bolt for example and also do a calibration with a spring balance at regular intervals.  Like you mention he should test the tension wrench. Also I have seen people mix up the readings and almost over tension.

• Agree 1

You can't lockwire or tab an unbrako. They are top quality though. The design of bolt you had put's all the load on the threaded bit where it becomes thicker.If there's any bending or shear load that's where it is also. The prop should be clamped by the bolts not driven by them. Nev

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

You can't lockwire or tab an unbrako. They are top quality though. The design of bolt you had put's all the load on the threaded bit where it becomes thicker.If there's any bending or shear load that's where it is also. The prop should be clamped by the bolts not driven by them. Nev

This type of propeller attachment has nyloc lock nuts on the rear of the flange.  No lock wire.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Informative 2

As with all Global Corporation manoeuvres, Unbrako was sold to Deepak Fasteners Ltd from India, in 2008. Unbrako still own manufacturing facilities on every continent and their products still have top-level certification and testing.

As with all corporate takeovers - retail locations, headquarters and offices, change on a regular basis, you just need to find an Unbrako retailer. Look up "bolt and nut suppliers" for your area.

https://www.globalfastenernews.com/indias-deepak-fasteners-buys-unbrako-global-fastener-news-usa/

https://www.unbrako.com.au/

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1