a lot of wrecked aircraft in florida.

Just now, kgwilson said:

They had plenty of warning that this hurricane was coming and also of its intensity. I'd have flown mine away out of the perceived path of the system if I'd had the opportunity.

i was thinking that too. 

I recall people being critical of our northern NSW and SE QLD brethren for not moving their aircraft earlier this year.

By the time you realise it's going to be bad, do you really have time to move the AC and is that your biggest priority?

We don't know peoples circumstances or priorities, hopefully they are insured.

Your family and home have to come first.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Often there are more things of higher priority on your To Do list than your aeroplane. Planes are another consumable that is delicate when exposed to the elements and natures  forces. . Just being dunked in salt water is the end of most of them effectively. Nev

40 minutes ago, RossK said:

I recall people being critical of our northern NSW and SE QLD brethren for not moving their aircraft earlier this year.

By the time you realise it's going to be bad, do you really have time to move the AC and is that your biggest priority?

We don't know peoples circumstances or priorities, hopefully they are insured.

Your family and home have to come first.

no one knew how bad those floods were going to be. there are days of warning before a hurricane hits and they knew it was a bad one. 

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Florida is  not really THE place to be. It's generally too low  above sea level and the storm surges due the low pressure causes repeated flooding that can only get worse as the sea rises..   Nev

So true Nev. Like the stupid cities built on dredged-up sand along the Persian Gulf, they are only a poofteenth above rising seas. Largely inhabited by trump loving climate change deniers...to be indundated and abandoned during this century . Poetic.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I have just read on Avweb that these aircraft were wrecked pre-hurricane. It was a tornado or possibly two that were spawned by a line of thunderstorms on Tuesday. Some were flipped upside down and others were wrecked by falling aircraft. Others were untouched.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Meanwhile......

Trump at Mar A Largo, untouched by the hurricane, is appealing for donations to help him get re-elected - to make America great again - again.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

The Washington Post has some up-close and personal photos of the devastation - the worst-hit area is around Fort Myers. I can't believe how many people live in "trailer homes" in the U.S., even in hurricane and tornado regions.

The Hurricanes wind strength at landfall on the Florida coast was 155mph (250kmh). Homes have caught fire, as well as being blown apart.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/photography/interactive/2022/photos-hurricane-ian-florida/

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Insurance buys another aircraft I guess . Sad to see this many GA planes wrecked- reduces the valuable industry stock of airplanes made between 1960 and 1980.

I dunno, my aircraft comes first then then the family. So I would move the aircraft.  I rationalize that by quoting that on RPT, you are instructed to put on your oxy mask before helping others. IE stay alive for your family's benefit. IE I need to look after my aircraft to stay alive for the family's benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Trailer trash are some of Trumps most fanatical supporters. Many have a low level of education, work in poor low paying jobs or don't have one & still think the last Presidential election was stolen. They don't need a Putin to brainwash them, they have a complete moron to worship.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Trailer trash are some of Trumps most fanatical supporters. Many have a low level of education, work in poor low paying jobs or don't have one & still think the last Presidential election was stolen. They don't need a Putin to brainwash them, they have a complete moron to worship.

spoken like a true academic genius ................................

I find it hard to weep over a rich man's toy. But if the plane or car was just inundated, surely it can just be cleaned out?

I have a farm buggy and the chinese driver's manual says that following inundation, you need to change the oil and other fluids.

And, I guess, clean out all the mud etc.

I wonder how much that Mclaren will sell for....  still be out of my reach I reckon.

• Like 1