Changing Tyre Size On 24 Reg Jabiru 230?

jackc

12 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I'm pretty sure that if you have a RPL then you can fly a 24 reg plane in controlled airspace. 

That must be correct. Look at the number of flying schools at Bankstown, Moorabbin and maybe Eagle Farm which use RAA for at least ab initio, or all the way to RAA Certificate. The instructors would normally operate in both worlds.

12 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

correct as long as plane has transponder and radio according to what i read.

And, I am not so sure a Sky Echo will make the cut, either?

8 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Also, if your flying school is in controlled airspace, you can learn RA-Aus there. 

Correct, but the problem is, once you get your RAA Cert, you CANT THEN FLY IN controlled airspace unless you have a CASA licence and medical!

This topic has been discussed over and over and is why RAA is working on controlled airspace privilages for RAA Cert holders

It will be quite a while before RAA get those privileges for RPC holders.  In the meantime,  many will go VH for lower cost and more privileges. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackc said:

It will be quite a while before RAA get those privileges for RPC holders.  In the meantime,  many will go VH for lower cost and more privileges. 

Maybe, but the reason many went from GA to RAA was due to the onerous expensive medical requirements for GA, and the ageing GAA fleet 

• Winner 1

10 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

, once you get your RAA Cert, you CANT THEN FLY IN controlled airspace

You've got to wonder at the stupidity of CASA. You've been operating in controlled airspace since your TIF and completed hours flogging around in a controlled circuit, making calls and responding to directions, then before the ink is dry on your pilot's certificate, CASA says that you are not competent to do the very same thing you've been doing for months.

If lips were dynamite, CASA couldn't blow a kiss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jabiru’s email in it entirety as sent to me:

If the aircraft is registered as experimental (i.e. 19-rego or VH- experimental), then the approval process is up to you.

If the aircraft is registered under the  ASTM LSA (i.e. 24-rego) then the aircraft has to remain standard (500 x 6 nose and mains). Under ASTM there is no STC ruling, it is a manufactures approval.

FYI: the font nose wheel yoke will not accommodate any larger tyre than 500 x 6 due to clearance withing the yoke ID dimensions. Also, if the tyre size is increased, it will put more loading on the main gear legs and fuse attachment point and the braking capacity will be reduced. This is something that we have not load tested or approved.

3 minutes ago, jackc said:

Jabiru’s email in it entirety as sent to me:

If the aircraft is registered as experimental (i.e. 19-rego or VH- experimental), then the approval process is up to you.

If the aircraft is registered under the  ASTM LSA (i.e. 24-rego) then the aircraft has to remain standard (500 x 6 nose and mains). Under ASTM there is no STC ruling, it is a manufactures approval.

FYI: the font nose wheel yoke will not accommodate any larger tyre than 500 x 6 due to clearance withing the yoke ID dimensions. Also, if the tyre size is increased, it will put more loading on the main gear legs and fuse attachment point and the braking capacity will be reduced. This is something that we have not load tested or approved.

Jabiru advertised the larger tyres on their website months ago. 

They sold them to me.

They have approved them. 

• Informative 1

Just now, Roscoe said:

Jabiru advertised the larger tyres on their website months ago. 

They sold them to me.

They have approved them. 

Have a chat to Kody at Jabiru if you want clarification

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I'm pretty sure that if you have a RPL then you can fly a 24 reg plane in controlled airspace. 

And then the question is, if you've got an RPL on a drivers medical, why bother with RAAus and it's yearly fees when the CASA reg and RPL are a once off fee, for greater privileges.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

1 minute ago, RossK said:

And then the question is, if you've got an RPL on a drivers medical, why bother with RAAus and it's yearly fees when the CASA reg and RPL are a once off fee, for greater privileges.

Cheaper maintenance, and so RA-Aus people can fly your plane. 

Edited by APenNameAndThatA

RAaus membership does come with the first layer of insurance (3rd party/medical) . - you should have that for VH even if you dont insure the airframe, so it will cost at least I would think what the RAaus membership costs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

12 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

What extra privileges do you get from VH reg? 

Higher MTOW and Controlled Airspace access.

Maintenance may be higher, but you only get pocket change out of $500 for RAAus yearly rego and membership.

So if you're having a LAME do your maintenance, you'd probably be pretty even.

Edited by RossK
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

24 minutes ago, RossK said:

Higher MTOW and Controlled Airspace access.

Maintenance may be higher, but you only get pocket change out of $500 for RAAus yearly rego and membership.

So if you're having a LAME do your maintenance, you'd probably be pretty even.

SAAA Membership is $270 so that component similar to RAAus ; just the annual aircraft registration fee is not required with SAAA and no 3rd party insurance so that should be considered as well.  Both orgs have their pros and cons.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, Blueadventures said:

SAAA Membership is $270 so that component similar to RAAus ; just the annual aircraft is not required with SAAA and no 3rd party insurance so that should be considered as well.  Both orgs have their pros and cons.

No Annual Inspection??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blueadventures said:

I understand you do annual inspections and need to have done their maintainers course and been builder of aircraft or built similar to have the experience.  Very regulated but for all the right reasons.

Much the same as Raa. If your aircraft is used privately and you want to do Maint above LINE MAINT then you have to do an online course and if sucessful, you get an L1 qual which entitles you to sign off work on your aircraft

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, Roscoe said:

Much the same as Raa. If your aircraft is used privately and you want to do Maint above LINE MAINT then you have to do an online course and if sucessful, you get an L1 qual which entitles you to sign off work on your aircraft

SAAA  MPC for maintenance is a two day course at $550- however very through.

• Informative 2

SAAA is close to getting AMTC3? certification approved.  This will allow non builder owners of VH experimental to maintain their aircraft in the same manner as owners of RAAus aircraft. Once self declared medicals for RPL and PPl casa license holders is in the playing field will be level in respect to medical and maintenance for recreational aircraft.

I have VH certified, VH experimental and RAAus aircraft so have been watching with bemusement as it all plays out. They are just aircraft and I like flying all of them.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1