Changing Tyre Size On 24 Reg Jabiru 230?

jackc

3 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

there is a nice savannah in townsville for sale. got the bush tyres and ready to fly.

Also a white xl engine less than 500 hrs to be advertised very soon at about $58k.  Owner just sorting the add and description 

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Also a white xl engine less than 500 hrs to be advertised very soon at about $58k.  Owner just sorting the add and description 

i only mentioned that ad because if jack is not set on a jabiru there options that are ready to go.  the only thing  with a savannah maybe not enough carrying capacity.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

i only mentioned that ad because if jack is not set on a jabiru there options that are ready to go.  the only thing  with a savannah maybe not enough carrying capacity.

They will carry more than 230 due to the lighter empty weight of the Sav xl (320kg).  Jabs are heavy construction in 230 (370kg).

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Just now, BrendAn said:

Thanks Brendan,  Only problem is I need 24 reg, otherwise a Savannah would be fine,  I am close to a deal on a 1400 hour J-230 with luck, hence my tyre enquiry.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jackc said:

Thanks Brendan,  Only problem is I need 24 reg, otherwise a Savannah would be fine,  I am close to a deal on a 1400 hour J-230 with luck, hence my tyre enquiry.

No worries jack. Just putting it out there.  

• Like 1

Except that..... the J230 will carry more weight in practice than a Sav

The J230 is a unique aircraft in RAaus in that the empty CG is profoundly nose heavy.

There is no other plane like it in LSA...... The wing centre of lift  is behind the pilot in the baggage. 

You can put 100kg in the back of the J230  with full fuel or zero fuel  and STILL will be inside aft CG limit  ! it is never going to fall down in its tail.

You wont do that in a Savannah . although you could go up to 60kg in baggage by the look of it before you went outside the book

BUT the Savannah will go places and land and take off from places that the Jabiru would not dare to ... think like 1/4 the TO and landing distances ! (so the book says)

I am not sure i'd really like flying the 'sav at > 33% MAC (book limit is 38%).  but the proof is in the pudding I guess. I have no idea.

The J230 airframe is good for 700kg  (J430) so noooo issue with heavy. so people load them up...

That's why people like them. that and the big kahuna up front.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, RFguy said:

Except that..... the J230 will carry more weight in practice than a Sav

The J230 is a unique aircraft in RAaus in that the empty CG is profoundly nose heavy.

There is no other plane like it in LSA...... The wing centre of lift  is behind the pilot in the baggage. 

You can put 100kg in the back of the J230  with full fuel or zero fuel  and STILL will be inside aft CG limit  ! it is never going to fall down in its tail.

You wont do that in a Savannah . although you could go up to 60kg in baggage by the look of it before you went outside the book

BUT the Savannah will go places and land and take off from places that the Jabiru would not dare to ... think like 1/4 the TO and landing distances ! (so the book says)

I am not sure i'd really like flying the 'sav at > 33% MAC (book limit is 38%).  but the proof is in the pudding I guess. I have no idea.

The J230 airframe is good for 700kg  (J430) so noooo issue with heavy. so people load them up...

That's why people like them. that and the big kahuna up front.

I watched a you tube on a Zenith cruiser the other day and that was his problem.  He could put plenty of weight on the passenger floor but very little behind the seats .

The j230 I do lessons in has 25 kg strapped to the floor in the back . Instructor said it improved the handling quite a bit.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 1

most 2 place planes -  to carry lots you are going to put a rucksack on the front seat and pax floor. Do your calcs  for zero fuel CG configuration  on low wings with fuel in the leading edge and forward of the pilot.

Thanks everyone for the advice, well have given thought to all this.  The J-230 is on my radar and subject to inspection hopefully next week.  I will simply use it within its current limitations.  Subject to how much I like it, I will order a new complete Gen 4 engine for it. The Aeropup is already equiped with big wheels and is getting its rewire completed, that aircraft can give me off airport entertainment and I will look at replacing the Rotax 80hp with a UL 350i or similar possibly in the future.   The Thruster will get the new 582 I already have for it. 

All this SHOULD cover me to EOL 🙂 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RFguy said:

Jack, you know Gen4 3300 engines are currently 16 months delivery !

I will order for a flying school aircraft on cross hire and see what happens,  IF it’s a disaster I would ask Jabiru for approval for same horsepower UL motor that I could substitute. Which thy would probably refuse?  I won’t say anymore, yet 🙂 

• 2 months later...

I was following this Cessna tyre thing in SA for some two years now.   

They say the take off roll is shorter, the idea, is that the Jab has less ground frication on the ground roll, I guess it will make little difference on the black stuff.  

I also read, they lost some airspeed at cruise, but the handling on their bush strips was so much better  with less worry about the nose wheel falling into an animal track and prop strike.  

Anyway JackC, I hope this helps with your question about the bigger tyres, one last thing, you'll have to forget about it unless you own a 19 or Exp register Jabiru.    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim188 said:

I was following this Cessna tyre thing in SA for some two years now.   

They say the take off roll is shorter, the idea, is that the Jab has less ground frication on the ground roll, I guess it will make little difference on the black stuff.  

I also read, they lost some airspeed at cruise, but the handling on their bush strips was so much better  with less worry about the nose wheel falling into an animal track and prop strike.  

Anyway JackC, I hope this helps with your question about the bigger tyres, one last thing, you'll have to forget about it unless you own a 19 or Exp register Jabiru.    

Thanks, decided to give my plan for the 230 a miss and just suck it up,  I will just use another plane equipped for bush flying.