New & better battery??

Ssshhhiiittt

I was quick on to this, & now a little disappointed. 

I need a GOOD battery , that will last a longer time than what I use now. 

Not just capacity but longevity. 

The Old lead acid batteries lasted years , new A G M , lucky to last one year.

spacesailor

• Like 1

Spacey, get yourself an electronic lead-acid battery desulfator, and use it with a trickle charger on a regular basis, to keep your batteries charged and desulphated. Sulphation is the main cause of short battery life.

I use an Infinitum brand, and I've used it for about 7 or 8 years, and I've had lead acid batteries in vehicles last for up to 10 years and 5 mths. They cost about $45 and there's little to go wrong with them.

The U.S. Military use them to get maximum life from their batteries, in all the equipment they keep in storage, or in low-usage applications. You can use desulphators on any lead-acid battery, including AGM and gel batteries.

You can install them on one battery permanently by using the eye terminals supplied, or you can do what I do, I changed the eye terminals to small, insulated, electrical spring clips - and I then move the desulfator from battery to battery, as required. I generally have about 6 or 8 lead-acid batteries hanging around on standby.

https://infinitumstore.com/

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

The Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are still exceptionally expensive for what they are, in comparison to the old, well-proven lead-acid battery.

If weight isn't really a major concern, I'd still be sticking with the far cheaper lead acid batteries, for general use.

The newest lead-acid batteries provide good life if properly cared for, they are fully and easily recycled, and they don't require BMS's or special chargers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Onetrack - does the Infinitum Battery Desulfator also charge the battery?

I use one of the multi stage battery chargers - seems to do the trick. I am annoyed if I get less than 7 years out of a lead acid battery

• Like 1

Skippy, the Infinitum Battery Desulphator does not do any battery charging, it is inserted into the charging circuit, or connected to the battery posts (more common method), and it simply pulses the charging current utilising an electronic circuit, thus breaking down the crystals of lead sulphate that have formed in the battery plates.

I just use a simple old 4 amp transformer charger, which is left on for a number of hours, the number of hours of charging is dependent on the battery cell voltage when I start charging.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Ssshhhiiittt

I was quick on to this, & now a little disappointed. 

I need a GOOD battery , that will last a longer time than what I use now. 

Not just capacity but longevity. 

The Old lead acid batteries lasted years , new A G M , lucky to last one year.

spacesailor

I don't know what you are doing to your AGM batteries but the Motobatt MBX20U 21 amp hour AGM battery I installed in my aircraft in 2015 is still going strong. I have flattened it a couple of times by leaving the ignition on for a day or 2 but a quick charge to get some power back in & then I connect my  intelligent charger which starts with gentle pulse charging then switches to trickle charging once the voltage has come up till full. It has started my Jab 3300 engine on average about 3 times a week for the last 7 years.

• Like 2

I use a lithium phosphate battery for three reasons 1. Weight, it saves 10 lb. Using the old $100/lb. rule it’s good value.

2. I get very low self discharge and I can fit a battery that meets the Rotax 912 iS minimum capacity of around 30 min if I lose both alternators.

3. The weight saving nicely offsets the CS prop extra weight.

4 This model is approved by Rotax- it has dual BMSs.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

My garage can get up to 50 ○c  in those hot summers, 

The following day the ' AGM ' batteries just stop charging!  .

Those Old lead acid batteries just go on & on .

Ihave three Old 6 volt batteries from 1950 ish , dry charged , waiting for a use .   One Day LoL.

spacesailor

• Informative 1