RAaus Audit Team Swooping In, To An Unsuspecting Flying School Near You :-)

jackc

Any auditors who approach an audit with such an attitude should be paraded before a classroom full of trainee auditors and have their pencils removed and broken before their very eyes. Then their clipboards should be snapped in half and hurled into the nearest garbage tin.

Audits are not a means to gather evidence for prosecutions. They are a means to identify where improvements can be made in the areas being audited.

13 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Any auditors who approach an audit with such an attitude should be paraded before a classroom full of trainee auditors and have their pencils removed and broken before their very eyes. Then their clipboards should be snapped in half and hurled into the nearest garbage tin.

Audits are not a means to gather evidence for prosecutions. They are a means to identify where improvements can be made in the areas being audited.

You think there are RAA auditors?

• Like 1

OMG!! Has anyone called CASA and told them about this mob? Not a single item of hi-viz amongst them, no fall-arrest devices, no seatbelts, no helmets, and I'll bet my last dollar they've got no permits for shooting authorisation from an aircraft!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Aviation regulators have as a Police Officer would say, ‘form’ 😞 

15 hours ago, turboplanner said:

I thought I saw fruit....

I thought they were cantaloupes though.

I'd also have thought the rotor downwash would have more effect on long hair...

Edited by Marty_d
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, an RAAus person turned up at the Old Station Fly In, and was seen to be taking covert photos of some aircraft and then quietly left, before making himself known to the CDFG Club tent who were doing all the marshaling etc.  I would allege it was an undercover mission on RAAus part.  So be aware you may be observed at any time and not know it 😞 

Can be known as a Fact Finding Mission, their description……we would have other words…….

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, jackc said:

Well, an RAAus person turned up at the Old Station Fly In, and was seen to be taking covert photos of some aircraft and then quietly left, before making himself known to the CDFG Club tent who were doing all the marshaling etc.  I would allege it was an undercover mission on RAAus part.  So be aware you may be observed at any time and not know it 😞 

Can be known as a Fact Finding Mission, their description……we would have other words…….

In self administering organizations regardless of the sport one of the first things you have to do if you want to survive regular accident payouts for negligence is replace prescriptive regulations as much as possible. If you inspect airfields, inspect aircraft, inspect licences, inspect behaviour, you assume a duty of care to (a) esnure a standard which avoids injury (b) give someone the OK to operate to your rule, which itself, with a body lying on the ground wasn't strict enough. So after standing back and saying "you are now self administering so you set your own structure and standards", and as we have seen, most do but some don't and that can lead to industry/sport bans which are a blunt instrument, an "Audit" is a way you can step in, but still not be in the Duty of Care group; you are offering them your opinion that their performance/behaviour isn't good enough. The next level is to establish some basic benchmarks which are easily achievable for machine standards and operator behaviour written in such a way that you still aren't in the DOC loop, with sanctions for failure to comply. That includes a Natural Justice appeal system. Organizations with that structure rarely make to news with accidents and have prospered and survived over the years. The key to success is to set simple, straightforward and readily available rules approved by the participants themselves. A third type of audit is against third party rules which apply, such as for RAA operators flying in CASA airpspace, thus being responsible to CASA rules as well as the SAO rules. The idea there is not to audit for prosecutions, but to assess how the organization is travelling on a regular basis, and done well, this type of auditing usually avoids the CASA audit which took out so many RAA aircraft permanently a few years ago.

Bugger! Something else to consider in my event palnning for next April. I suppose the RAAus bloke will come up with the CASA one.

And will you please stop using the word "audit" as a synonym for "enforcement" !!!!!!!

An audit should be an aid to continual improvement by comparing the observed results of procedures to the desired results. It is the overall trend that an audit of a system is seeking to determine, NOT the results of an individual observation. 

We all go on, and on about the single observation of a simple thing, such as failing to carry a copy of thier latest medical certificate, but not a word is said about the fifty observations where the certificate was being carried. As an auditor, I would be very happy with a 50:1 application of a requirement. Also I would be more than interested in comparing the result of observations taken at the most recent audit with the results of the first couple to see if there was imprevement, regression or stagnation.

One of the Old Station ones of interest was that the aircraft got looked at when the public was to be cleared from the area for the air show.  As things went one of the Calide Dawson still there used to own the aircraft and as he saw a bloke looking all over the aircraft he when over.  Also he was assisting with clearing the area so was to move the guy on.  The RAA guy asked if he was the owner and he explained no, but used to be.  My aircraft was next to it so I hope he looked at it as should have got thumbs up for throttle lock on and secured etc.  The aircraft he was interested in was a trike.  He was looking for its engine number etc.  The owner told me it was registered with the trike people and it was also displaying RAAus numbers on the wing as he had just fitted the wing recently.  My comment to him was remove the numbers as he was compliant with the trike guys and take an image and do before midnight. This he sorted it as soon as reminded. (He probably still has the numbers on still, people can be slack and the numbers are not easy to remove.)   I reckon RAA is doing a good job following up on these kind of matters as the trike was not good still displaying old rego numbers when no longer a RAA registered aircraft.  The owner said a while ago that he did not hear from RAAus.

Well, the RAAus guy did not front the trike owner?  IF the owner was not contacted by RAAus, I would wonder why?  Maybe RAAus shelfed  the owner  to CASA?  They would take a long time to follow up? 

RAAus skulking around in the shadows is not a good PR look, makes members feel like the enemy?  

But then most Regulators operate like that these days, it’s the makeup of some of the people that work for them, I call those types ‘plastic policemen’ 🙂  

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

As an auditor, I would be very happy with a 50:1 application of a requirement. Also I would be more than interested in comparing the result of observations taken at the most recent audit with the results of the first couple to see if there was imprevement, regression or stagnation.

That's what it's all about, a non-prescriptive audit can be used to steadily lift standards. At the higher standards there is often an exponential drop in injurires.