Site Landing Page

Admin

Hi All, we have had a silly little boy attempting to hack the site and all he was able to do was create an annoying site landing screen but nothing else. ALL YOUR DATA IS SAFE and has not been accessed at all and in fact it is extremely hard to access the database and even then passwords etc are encrypted and 1 way only. So sorry about causing any inconvenience with the annoying picture but I believe I have now stopped it...fingers crossed

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

11 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Saw that and my Virus detection software shut it down immediately. It apparently was a Trojan that was trying to be installed.

This means the site WAS hacked if they are able to upload malicious programs.

This is no good, I will have to go and change passwords etc. AGAIN.

Why can this happen,  is it your computer Admin,  or is it the computer of some of other moderators which is infected.

You've got to be right on top of these internet crims, who try constantly, to infiltrate any website they see as weak. That's why you need to have a system installed in the forum programme so that users can alert moderators and admin instantly, that hacks/scams are appearing.

There's nothing like immediate interception of internet hackers to make them give up, because they know admin are watching them at work. They love websites such as club websites, where no-one in the admin of the website looks at webpages for days, or even weeks on end.

My experience of forums and hackers is that it's greatly advantageous to have admin and moderators spread around the globe, so that these people are alert to hackers in real time on the far side of the world, when we're asleep down under.

Manheim Auctions had their entire auction site hacked and locked down by ransomware artists about 2 yrs ago, and the hackers demanded $30m to unlock it. Manheim could do nothing with their site, they had to abandon it, and build an entire new website from scratch. I hate to think how much the exercise cost them. The worst part is not knowing how much of your personal information has been stolen if you're registered with them.

Manheims issued soothing words about "all your personal details were encrypted and safe" - but for months after their hack, I received a vastly increased amount of scam and spam emails, many of which appeared to contain malware.

• Like 1

As was said, it was tried and was unsuccessful with the exception of an image just like you all do, upload images to the site, however they were able to upload it to a different directory and with a specific file name but again you are allowed to upload images to the site but also image files are screened for any embedded code as well. Logs show that it was blocked from doing anything else.

The site also uses 1 way encryption of passwords. In other words when you put your password in it gets stored as gobblegook characters that mean nothing. When you login again it checks that your password goes through a conversion process and matched the gobblegook. BUT, there is no way the gobleggook can go the other way into an actual password that can be read...for example the process may go through a loop x number of times dropping off the last y characters each time that is what is meant as 1 way as you can't get the characters that are dropped off back again if you try to go from goblegook back to your password...ask a coder what 1 way password encryption means and they may be able to explain it easier for you to understand FlyBoy1960

• Like 3

What a waste of intellect. To have the knowledge to understand programming, yet use it for juvenile purposes. All of us who encountered it probably thought the same thing  - "What an arsehole" Not one of us would have thought, "Well done, that man." I suppose it illustrates the pessimistic mentality of the younger generation.

Oh Death! Where is thy sting?

Release me from the misery

Of another earthly thing.

• Like 1