NSW motor vehicle licence at 75year old

On 01/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, spacesailor said:

And Who mends their own punctures now ! ,

Only offroad 4 wheel drive knuts like me , ( tyre Pliers  ) anyone .

spacesailor

We do all our maintenance and repairs, even fit our own tyres and cover all punctures The only time they go into the workshop for is computer hiccups. Fortunately we don’t get many but we’re working on phasing out the computer trucks. 

10 hours ago, facthunter said:

were talking of the period 68-9 I thought.. That's the types that didn't come here. I think I saw one in Lae. PNG.

We’re you also in PNG  Nev, I was in Bougainville late 67 - 69 

used to travel to Pt Moresby once a month for trade school

Edited by Steve L

I took my neighbors tyre in for a puncture repair ! , & they insisted on using a ' plug ' .

Not removing the case to put a patch inside .

I think thats ' cheap & shoddy ' .

He didn,t seem bothered, so I didn't say we,ll go elsewhere. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Those plugs seemed to work in the day. Now we use a waxed cord and cover it in vulcanising glue before inserting in the tyre, 99% of the time removing the wheel ( trucks and cars ) is not necessary. Once out near Pooncarie I put about 6 cords in the one puncture, just kept inserting them till the air leak stopped, got me back to Adelaide.

• Informative 1

Im not to familiar with the plugs you mention, that’s if your referring to the mushroom head rubber plugs that are inserted by means of an air pressured gun. I think they were banned years ago. The ones I use are aprox 60mm long pieces of flexible cord 3-4mm thick. Many can be used to fill the one hole and they are permanent repairs. 

• Like 1

A little off topic but in line with doing our own maintenance.  Got a message from the car saying that I needed to add 1 litre of oil to the engine.  So I looked up the owners book.  It said that oil specification was on page 366.  Only problem is that page 366 has never been bound into the book.  The next page says to buy oil from BMW.  Is this allowed to happen under state Law?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Geoff_H said:

A little off topic but in line with doing our own maintenance.  Got a message from the car saying that I needed to add 1 litre of oil to the engine.  So I looked up the owners book.  It said that oil specification was on page 366.  Only problem is that page 366 has never been bound into the book.  The next page says to buy oil from BMW.  Is this allowed to happen under state Law?

I'm only guessing here, but common rail injection pumps operate at nearly 30,000 psi; enough pressure to kill you if you use techniques like cracking the injectors to prime the system. There are other differences from the old days, and the manufacturers often solve their problems with cocktails of synthetic oil. So in some cases if they say use BMW oil type X, that's the one that doesn't cost you a $3500 turbo at regular intervals. I've also seen use Honda XXXX or a YYYY specification oil, or you can talk to BMW Service and see whether they recommend alternative oils which meet a certain standard. They usually want to keep you driving new BMWs, so they don't want turbo failuresso they're sitting on a razor blade no matter what they say.

Manufacturer-branded oils are a con. The oils are refined and supplied by oil companies, and they simply put it in manufacturer-branded containers.

There's any amount of oil-company-branded oils that are produced to manufacturers specifications for the various engines and transmissions, that are finicky about their oil type or oil additives.

There are differences between the various oil company oils, as regards performance. I have personally found Penrite oil products to be superior to some other brands.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Manufacturer-branded oils are a con. The oils are refined and supplied by oil companies, and they simply put it in manufacturer-branded containers.

There's any amount of oil-company-branded oils that are produced to manufacturers specifications for the various engines and transmissions, that are finicky about their oil type or oil additives.

There are differences between the various oil company oils, as regards performance. I have personally found Penrite oil products to be superior to some other brands.

I wouldn't say they're a con in all cases. I've been involved on the inside in some engine issues where the solution was a specific mix and procedure, which is why I said to ask the manufacturer.

One example was the Nissan Navara engine reputed to be a dog, and costing some people thousands in blown turbos etc. Special oil required to cope with the under-sized gallery was cheaper by thousands.

• Informative 1