Flying Toilet Roll Core

red750

Two things about the Citroen 2CV:
1. In the 60s and 70s adventurous young folk started to do very big road trips out of Europe.....down and round Africa, over and round India, then back up round the Med into Europe. It was a thing to paint a map on the door of the car, showing the route taken...and some of those maps were really impressive. Of course, you only saw the maps on the cars that made it all the way round....and they were, in no particular order, Land Rover, VW and Citroen 2CV.

2. We once swapped cars for a long weekend with young friends: they had family visiting, and needed more room/seats than their 2CV. So we had the 2CV for the weekend, and it really was one of the most enjoyable weekends of motoring I ever did. Something about the way the thing rode and handled put a big smile on our faces, and by Sunday we were taking folk from the drop zones for rides to spread the joy. The body of the thing seemed quite independent of what the running gear was doing, and at times it was more like sailing in a stiff breeze than driving.

If they weren't now worth silly money, I would have one just to relive that.....)

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

They were made over a long period of time You can pick the later ones by the headlight shape and the bonnet flutes. I also don't know when production ceased. Most of them didn't get a lot of love They just had to keep going. Nev

• Like 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Very " French" and a good cult car. Compare with the Renault 2CV(Deux Chauvaux).

Can't knock the 2CV. They were quite comfortable over the cobblestones streets even if the seats were a bit like deck chairs, and they rolled like a destroyer.

Edited by planedriver
  • Like 2

There was a dealer, in the Netherlands I think, offered a new one to anyone who could roll theirs (on the flat and without striking a kerb). Supposedly some guy finally managed it in reverse: being front wheel drive all they do going forward is lean at an amazing angle before the back slews round. I can't think he actually rolled it though........more likely it ended up on its side.....)

• Informative 1

Rolling a light 15 would indeed  be difficult. They had a bit of a habit of the rear body breaking up at the lower boot corners and I've driven one with no back suspension or rear wheels on it " for fun"  because I could. The thing was destined for the wreckers even though today you'd fairly easily fix it.  Don't know about the 2CV Gears.. Nev

6 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Didn,t those 2 CV Citroën have two cones & an elastic belt for gearing ? .

I'm sure you must be thinking of the DAF Daffodil Spacey. Two cones with a rubber drive belt which made an infinately variable gearbox drive. One drove thousands of miles across Africa at the time and the media claimed it was driven by a rubber band. Haha!

I seem to remember one which was entered in The East African Safari Rally.

Edited by planedriver

There's plenty of YooToob videos explaining how the Nissan CVT is a troublesome POS. CVT's can't handle high horsepower levels going through them. You don't see them in trucks.

The small Fuso trucks have a dual clutch "automatic" transmission which uses countershafts. That transmission is also nothing but trouble.

If you want to see a real transmission, get a look at the inside of the Mack "Maxitorque" triple-countershaft transmission. That transmission is the peak of countershaft transmission design.

• Like 1