Can you do it?

How many have failed to finished a aeromodel ,

that was far to complicated for our skill, at the time of ' plan purchase '. 

I admit to this , after I decided to build a ' fullscale flying ' 

LYSANDER

spacesailor

• Informative 1

44 minutes ago, 440032 said:

You can amateur-build Serial No. 2 off the plans you have,

I really want to restore Serial No. 1. After that, the family who probably hold the copyright can sell the plans in much teh same way as the Pietenpol family sell the plans to that well-known plane.

46 minutes ago, 440032 said:

Many to most people who have built an aircraft have very likely not undertaken anything like it before, and they generally turn out the best work.

That's because they have the dedication to do the best they can, and the time it takes to apply that dedication to the job. Fortunately, I envisage this restoration to take several years, and for the progress to be an attraction for the museum.

• Informative 1

35 minutes ago, 440032 said:

rather unusable, just historically saved.

That's just an online image you have been able to access. I'm going to photograph them properly and have fressh drawings made.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

If any of you has built their own aeroplane, answer me this: After you were shown the various techniques, was the actual completions of the task beyond the scope of the average person?

No.

• Like 2

No here too. The plane was a kit Jabiru and there was no welding to do. I already knew the frp techniques, although there is not much there to know. The main thing is to follow instructions, especially surface prep for wet on dry layups. They need sanding till there are no bright spots when under a torch, after blowing clean. You may need an extra layer of cloth if this means you have taken too much off. This is more a matter of attitude than it is to expertise.

The worst example I ever saw was done by a highly experienced professional who worked for Harry Schnieder. After some months had passed, the reinforcing glass cloth FELL OFF a bulkhead.

With respect to time... the correct way to cost this is to know what you would have been doing instead. For example, if you would have been working for $40 an hour, then the thousand hours you put into the plane is worth 40,000 dollars. However, if working on the plane kept you out of the pub, where you spent 40 dollars per hour, then your time has a negative value and the more time you spend, the better off you are. The thousand hours has a value of -40,000 dollars...

• Like 4

Perhaps thats the criteria to your build choice, 

O K With wood , build a wood framed aircraft , ( or boat ).

Good with F R P , a nice composite aircraft , ( or boat again, ).

That only leaves metal ! , for the loud banging & ' Riveting  construction ' . ( or rag & tube ) .

Not many people would Try to make a ' plywood ' " Mosquito " . ( but can do in boats ) .

spacesailor

UPDATE:

If the airframe is fit for restoration, (and I can wrest it from teh clutches of the museum) I have got an agreement for the restoration be to done under the umbrella of licensed maintenance organisation. The organisation will provide instruction to volunteers where required and then inspect and sign off the work. I also have an ageement for any welding to be done by a CASA licensed person.

Pending an inspection of the remains, a decision will be made about progressing towards satisfying the vision.

• Like 3

To build your own plane is not difficult, but it requires common sense and dogged determination. Being an old bloke I am appalled at the lack of ability of younger people to repair or build things, but that can be overcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

AND The Biggest problem is your starting  AGE !.

MOST OF US , start at that age ,when the End of our Working life looms ever closer. 

So starting at sixty, to build a five year machine ! .

Then have to learn all those bureaucratic rules & abreviations .

HO ! .

It,s making my head hurt ,.

BUT

Wait ,  we now have to learn the practical , Flying bit !.

On a Pension. 

WERE DID MY SAVINGS GO TO ! .

spacesailor

On 17/11/2022 at 1:54 PM, onetrack said:

If the remains of the original aircraft are substantial enough to be rebuilt, by all means, rebuild it. It will only take millions, so a wealthy backer would need to be found to provide the funding. Aircraft have been rebuilt from remains dragged from the sea, and from major fires, so it's entirely achievable.

However, the most sensible thing to do, is build a new aircraft from the plans. It's highly unlikely the plans are specifically owned by someone and that they could prevent the construction of another new machine. The original designer is dead, and any patents or rights to the designs have expired many years ago - and even if someone claims the rights to the original plans, they wouldn't have any worthwhile legal grounds to be able to stop the construction of another machine, or demand payment for the plans.

And as with the rebuild, the cost of constructing a new aircraft will run into millions, so a wealthy backer still needs to be found.

It's a very smart-looking little aeroplane, the lines are definitely very Auster-like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/powerhouse_museum/5344846820/in/photostream/

Millions you reckon.  It's probably wood and fabric construction 

• Like 1

Brendan, have you bought any processed timber lately? - particularly aviation-quality timber? You thought truck parts were pricey? - try aviation timber! In addition, fabric and timber construction is exceptionally labour-intensive. Unless you have a ready supply of cheap Asian sweat-shop labour, you need to pay people a minimum wage here - currently $819.90 a week. It keeps on adding up. Ask a restorer how much it will cost to restore a car from a wreck, they will never give you a set figure.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Brendan, have you bought any processed timber lately? - particularly aviation-quality timber? You thought truck parts were pricey? - try aviation timber! In addition, fabric and timber construction is exceptionally labour-intensive. Unless you have a ready supply of cheap Asian sweat-shop labour, you need to pay people a minimum wage here - currently $819.90 a week. It keeps on adding up. Ask a restorer how much it will cost to restore a car from a wreck, they will never give you a set figure.

Absolutely agree.  And don’t want shoddy cheap work.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

yes. i understand but millions is a bit far fetched. 

• Informative 1

19 hours ago, spacesailor said:

AND The Biggest problem is your starting  AGE !.

MOST OF US , start at that age ,when the End of our Working life looms ever closer. 

So starting at sixty, to build a five year machine ! .

Then have to learn all those bureaucratic rules & abreviations .

HO ! .

It,s making my head hurt ,.

BUT

Wait ,  we now have to learn the practical , Flying bit !.

On a Pension. 

WERE DID MY SAVINGS GO TO ! .

spacesailor

i have seen many unfinished boats for this reason. 

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

No here too. The plane was a kit Jabiru and there was no welding to do. I already knew the frp techniques, although there is not much there to know. The main thing is to follow instructions, especially surface prep for wet on dry layups. They need sanding till there are no bright spots when under a torch, after blowing clean. You may need an extra layer of cloth if this means you have taken too much off. This is more a matter of attitude than it is to expertise.

The worst example I ever saw was done by a highly experienced professional who worked for Harry Schnieder. After some months had passed, the reinforcing glass cloth FELL OFF a bulkhead.

With respect to time... the correct way to cost this is to know what you would have been doing instead. For example, if you would have been working for $40 an hour, then the thousand hours you put into the plane is worth 40,000 dollars. However, if working on the plane kept you out of the pub, where you spent 40 dollars per hour, then your time has a negative value and the more time you spend, the better off you are. The thousand hours has a value of -40,000 dollars...

good post, i think it is spot on. if you went to the pub and tab instead you would be worse off depending on your point of view.

was it orson wells who said he spent half his money on booze and hookers, and wasted the other half.

• Informative 1

I think that I will change my idea. If it was unpacked from the pallet, it could be cleaned up and what there is displayed to show the construction method. It looks like all that is there  is from the rear of the seats to the front of the enagine mount.

• Informative 1