VG seats and long legs

supacat

Hi all

Ive just bought a 2007 build Savannah VG My first and probably only aircraft - The plane is in good condition and has the 4 fuel tanks, solid rod throttle linkages, tundra tyres and of course fixed seats.

Here's my problem. I'm  182cm tall and just fit my knees /shins under the bottom edge of the instrument panel.  The seating position is safe and gives me rudder pedal and toe brake control  but my  I won't be comfortable for more than an hour or so ( and yes I've been told my bladder won't last that long so what's the prob?)  So I'm putting it out there  Has anyone modded their VG seats to get more leg room and if so how?

The nose wheel steering linkage seems to preclude moving the pedals any further forward and the bulkhead aft of the seats limits their repositioning not to mention implications of aircraft CofG  if they could be moved

I could always trade up to a Sav S but show me one that for sale ?

I have the same problem with my Savannah S - dodgy hips mean that much more than an hour and its getting pretty uncomfortable. The best solution I have found is to add seat cushions to get as high as possible - that tends to straighten out your legs a bit - and also gives you a better view over the cowling. However you are limited for headroom by the cross braces overhead.

Peter Gillespie told me that the adjustable model seat gives less leg room than the fixed model seat.

If you have a fixed model you can pack it out if you're shorter.

The mounting assy of the adjustable model makes the rear-most position further forward than the fixed model.

Hope that's understandable!

Hi Supacat, and congrats on your purchase. It's a great machine!

FWIW: The S comes with multiple mounting holes for the rudder pedals, suggesting they can be moved forward. Note however that the S has a redesigned fuselage, so it does not necessarily follow that the rudder pedals can be moved in the VG. You would need to look at available space etc. Moving the pedals  would require replacing or reworking the nosewheel linkages. You would also need to look at whether the rudder cables would adjust, or need modifying or replacing.

A VG Savannah with the same leg space as an S model—-yes it is possible.Moved the pedals forward about 80mm and shortened the steering rods(access to a lathe helps for the rods helps but not essential) Make up some links to lengthen the rudder cables.Brake cylinders now floor mounted(hand activated).  Some mods to the seat base (original seat bases designed for 5foot nothing Italians). What a difference——long cross country flights now happening 

• Informative 1

Thanks all   for the  responses- I'm going with the option to move the pedals forward. Spoke to Peter Gillespie who says he has longer push rods in stock  to  make it happen.

• Like 1