Jaburu carby overhaul

trailer

You need a kit which is advertised by Munich Motorcycles au. They sell for both the 40mm and 32mm cv carbs. The older Jabirus used a 32mm carb .

Once you have the kit, any decent place should be able to do the job.

I recommend that you study it up and then do the job yourself. You can test the results out on the ground.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I took my Jab 2200 40mm Bing carby (about 10 years old) up to Jabiru @ Bundaberg 2 days  (14/12/2022) ago. It had a persistent leak after stopping the engine. The guys there (I had arranged previously to take the carby in) pulled it apart, and had it fixed with new parts in under an hour. The leak has been fixed, and the carby given the once over by pros.

I would strongly recommend Jabiru to overhaul your carby. They have all the parts you'd need.

BTW, Bing carbs are no longer available, but they do carry a different brand. 

While up there, they gave me a short tour of the factory, and I got to see the twin Jabiru, which is currently being flown by one of the mechanics. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, horsefeathers said:

I took my Jab 2200 40mm Bing carby (about 10 years old) up to Jabiru @ Bundaberg 2 days  (14/12/2022) ago. It had a persistent leak after stopping the engine. The guys there (I had arranged previously to take the carby in) pulled it apart, and had it fixed with new parts in under an hour. The leak has been fixed, and the carby given the once over by pros.

I would strongly recommend Jabiru to overhaul your carby. They have all the parts you'd need.

BTW, Bing carbs are no longer available, but they do carry a different brand. 

While up there, they gave me a short tour of the factory, and I got to see the twin Jabiru, which is currently being flown by one of the mechanics. 

What was the cost?  Parts / labour. Thanks.

• Like 2

Gasket, needle seat, needle valve was about $120 - Rubber boot that attached carby to engine about $40.

Labour was free, actually - but you mileage may vary. I dont think you have buckleys of getting them to do anything till after Christmas, however. I think they took pity on me, and sneaked me in. They are flat out ATM.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

39 minutes ago, horsefeathers said:

Gasket, needle seat, needle valve was about $120 - Rubber boot that attached carby to engine about $40.

Labour was free, actually - but you mileage may vary. I dont think you have buckleys of getting them to do anything till after Christmas, however. I think they took pity on me, and sneaked me in. They are flat out ATM.

Nice,  Was it a full service replacing all parts as seems not and you may need full service in the future.  Cheers and enjoy your flights and have a great xmas.

suggest getting the kit and learning about your carburettor. they are quite simple. You just need a clean desk and some good light and your glasses on.

It's purely an disassembly, cleaning job. TAKE NOTE  on how many turns are on mixture screws when (unwinding) disassembling. 

You learn that the idle jet is separate from the 'running' jets. you might pull throttle to idle on descent, and engine might stop if the idle jet was blocked.. but push the throttle in, back onto needle jet, it might  spring to life. etc.  and then you learn there is a separate parasite carburettor hanging off the side just for starting.... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Nice,  Was it a full service replacing all parts as seems not and you may need full service in the future.  Cheers and enjoy your flights and have a great xmas.

No, it wasn't a full service (I didn't ask for that - I had a particular issue). However, they disassembled the majority of the carb. They had the tools and knowledge to remove the needle seat (a 3 minute job for them), which I was not prepared to do myself. 

They have all the parts that are needed. They also have a knowledge base of what has been utilised in jabirus (eg - the new needle seat has a 2.2mm hole, compared with the 2.4mm hole in my carb) . And I am sure they will do a full rebuild if you request it. 

I wouldn't touch a carb for a rebuild after seeing these guys work on mine. I have never rebuilt a carb, and these guys do it all the time.

• Like 2

I I sent mine. To Jabiru with what I thought was a starter enrichment problem. It was no better after they fixed it, so I asked them about the starter problem. Their response was that it never gives trouble so they didn’t touch it. I found a broken gasket, fixed by making one and then putting the correct on in, supplied by Flood’s

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It stands to reason Jabiru would be aware of the settings THEY use. Even if the carbs were available new they may still have to be adjusted to suit the engine. Thats common with any carburetter even when the engine is flowed a bit ot fited to a faster plane the carb must be adjusted accordingly. More critical in an aircraft than  many other places..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Are you allowed to overhaul the carby if the plane is certified.

Without lame qualifications.

Within RAAus if you own the aircraft which is not used in a flying school and you have an L1 certificate then you can maintain the aircraft. If the aircraft is used in a school then only an L2 can maintain.  

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Within RAAus if you own the aircraft which is not used in a flying school and you have an L1 certificate then you can maintain the aircraft. If the aircraft is used in a school then only an L2 can maintain.  

Thanks t. 

28 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

So what carburettor is used on new Jabirus instead of the Bing type 94 on the 3300A engine?

KG its a Mikuni PD42J or copy .. with mods apparently. not directly interchangable since it has a different size throat,

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

A CD type carburetter is fairly flexible as to a slightly larger throat size. There will always be adjustments required to get the extra enrichment at Larger Mass  flow rates Full throttle at low density altitude days.  Nev

• Like 2

Trailer, if you need a needle and seat you can buy them from Jabiru snd probably Munich Motorcycles. The Jabiru Gen 3 Overhaul Manual describes how to remove the old seat and install a new one.  But my understanding that is mostly done as a modification for the 3300 to increase the the diameter of the hole in the seat to increase fuel flow to the bowl.  It’s more common to just replace the needle ... it has a ‘rubber’ tip and these can degrade.  I am assuming you are referring to the needle and seat that controls the level of fuel in the float bowl and not the ‘needle jet’ and needle that controls the fuel flow from the bowl to the intake plenum at cruise settings.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1