RAA renewed

If you let your RAA membership lapse for a number of years do you have to go through all the training to be able to start flying again , son has lost interest but hopefully take it up again some time in the future 

• Informative 1

The hours and lessons completed still will be valid but you will have to go through the process again with an instructor to demonstrate proficiency. For some people what they previously learned will come back to them quite quickly whereas for others it will be almost starting from scratch again. If written exams have changed in the time away you will likely have to complete these again. It all depends on how long ago it was. If it was 20 years+ everything will likely have to be done again.

• Informative 1

Essentially, your BFR is due.. (overdue) . KG I am not sure about exams being done again...  I dont think that's right. Certainly you'll need to, as you pointed out, demonstrate competency.  Whether the instructor feels you need to demonstrate competency by puttingn you through a diversion intensive wild goose chase cross country  or just a few circuits, stalls, emergency proceedures will be whatever is required to feel that you are competent. Usually as long as you dont do anything unsafe, or almost kill the pair of you, you'll get through, with a marginal pass, probably with requirement of some follow up work. 

• Informative 1

In the other parallel universe, A CASA Pilot license (have one) is perpetual. Haven't flown for 8 years😥, (not me), no problem, do the Aeroplane Flight Review, AFR, successfully you are good to go. 

Edited by Thruster88
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, RFguy said:

Essentially, your BFR is due.. (overdue) . KG I am not sure about exams being done again...  I dont think that's right. Certainly you'll need to, as you pointed out, demonstrate competency.  Whether the instructor feels you need to demonstrate competency by puttingn you through a diversion intensive wild goose chase cross country  or just a few circuits, stalls, emergency proceedures will be whatever is required to feel that you are competent. Usually as long as you dont do anything unsafe, or almost kill the pair of you, you'll get through, with a marginal pass, probably with requirement of some follow up work. 

My assumption was that training was not complete so no pilot certificate had ever been issued as it was just stated membership has lapsed and rhtrudders son had lost interest.

If a GA licence had been issued as it is a lifetime licence training & a BFR only is required.

Not sure about RA-Aus as if membership has lapsed for more than 12 months there will be a few other hurdles. If less than 12 months there is an on-line process to reactivate membership. A RPC is only valid if you are a RA-Aus member.

I asked this question of RAAus a short while ago.  If a certificate has been issued in the past, then all that is required is to rejoin and then do the long overdue BFR. This may, of course, require refresh training! On the other hand, if no certificate has been issued, then it’s back to ab initio (with the obvious advantage of the initio not being entirely initial…).

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

All your sons hours will count towards the issue of his RPC, no matter how long it takes. BUT, when he goes back, if he can’t demonstrate competency he’ll obviously need to re-learn it till he is competent. There is no difference between RAA and CASA in this regards, but he’ll need to become a member again before he re+commences his training. 
so long as the competencies haven’t changed wrt the exams, he’s good to go. Again, no difference to CASA/Part 61. 

Edited by Flying_higher