Solar Battery Charger

My aircraft, fitted with an Earth X. It can not be easily removed (for home charging). I do not have a mains supply where plane lives. I would like to keep the battery in top condition. Solar charging would seem to be a potential solution.

Your recommendations/advice for (against) a solar (trickle?) charger, compatible with the Earth X battery, will be much appreciated.

Edited by skippydiesel

21 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

contact the company directly and ask them otherwise it could end in flames. If there is no draw on the battery when it is just sitting there it will last at least 9 months before it needs recharging

Good idea.

Battery is in fairly regular use - test flying new home built. At this stage test flying involves a lot of short "hops" as we are still fine tuning flight controls and engine cooling. It just concerned me that the hops may not be of sufficient duration to keep battery in top condition.

Looks to me as though they have their own specific charger and the major issue is if they are fully discharged. A multi meter should give you a voltage reading indicating charge state.. Refer to maker's figures.   I don't think I'd just leave something turned ON. Maybe use a separate TIMER?  Nev

Optimate TM-522-D4 is the Solar Battery Charger/Regulator supplied by Earth X USA.

Australian distributer of Earth X is going to give me a price on special order/import (scary!).

• Recommended for LiFePO4 batteries: 12.8V / 12.3V
  • Weight: 6.8lbs
  • Dimensions (including corner mount brackets): 16.6″W x 27″H x 1.25″D
  • Charging Amps: 3.33A from 40W panel (max average current)
  • Input & output cable lengths: 2m
  • Lowest operating temperature: -20°C / -4°F
  • Warranty: 3 years limited warranty through OptiMate

These battery's are pretty costly (compared with a lead acid) so I am anxious to keep it in top condition, in the hope of getting the max service life.

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Looks to me as though they have their own specific charger and the major issue is if they are fully discharged. A multi meter should give you a voltage reading indicating charge state.. Refer to maker's figures.   I don't think I'd just leave something turned ON. Maybe use a separate TIMER?  Nev

I think I would just top up the battery periodically eg once per month, rather than leave the charger on all the "parked" time.

• Agree 1