Zongshen engine replacement in a Tecnam Bravo

Kiwi55

20 hours ago, Kiwi55 said:

Hi,

2 Freak failure. We had a Rotax carb heat system fitted on the engine (original factory fit). It uses a extra assy fitted to the outside of the muffler which has circular spacer rings separating the outside of the muffler from the inside  of the heater sleeve.

One of the these ring collapsed and a piece found it's way  right through the carb system into the no.1 cylinder. Not good.

Now the Zongshen looks attractive.

Are you sure that carburetor heat muff is a genuine Rotax part? The parts books I have looked at do not show one. 

The last Rotax 912 annual I did was a Foxbat A22. It had air cleaners inside the air box so no dirt or shrapnel can ever enter the engine regardless of hot or cold selected. Good engineering.  

Edited by Thruster88
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

I think you will find a new 912ULS is around 36 to 37k here now

And IF you want to fly with the best reliability and confidence, then just suck it up and pay the money. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Even as a 19- you would need to be the original builder. But it wouldnt be quite as blatently flouting the rules.

Or as a 24-, you could get an AP ( approved person ) to sign it off and the aircraft goes Exp24. However, I dunno whether an AP would sign it off ....

Nev- can't go GA experimental - there is no paperwork  path for a 24- airplane to go GA experimental. I have enquired....

so- consider you may have no insurance if it gets sticky. 
Rotaxes are fine I suggest the root of the problem be found. It is possible that you are just good at winning the lottery. (chance)

Edited by RFguy
  • Agree 1

I would have to check, but CASA gave a special permit to fit a Pawnee glider tug at Benalla with a Commodore LS1 V8, permit was for 500 hours, not sure of final outcome but I was launched several times by this aircraft and it went like a rocket 🙂 

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, jackc said:

I would have to check, but CASA gave a special permit to fit a Pawnee glider tug at Benalla with a Commodore LS1 V8, permit was for 500 hours, not sure of final outcome but I was launched several times by this aircraft and it went like a rocket 🙂 

Kingaroy has similar.

• Informative 1

The multi-ribbed V-belt has been determined to be the most satisfactory performer of all the belts to date - moving on from the old single or multiple V-belt. Multi-ribbed V-belts are thinner, take up less room, generate less heat, and offer more flexibility. The toothed belt offers the potential to reduce slippage, but the teeth often pull out of the belt under heavy load.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...