Beech debonair

I watched a you tube review of a 1960 something debonair yesterday.  The reviewer said they are a fantastic aircraft to fly and one of the reasons is the ailerons and rudder are connected.  How do they do xwind landings if you need to drop 1 wing while keeping centred on the runway with rudder. Just curious how it works.

I watched the same, skywagon university, a great YouTube channel. 

My baby Beechcraft 23 has the same system. It is just a spring inter connect between the rudder and aileron. To be honest I don't think about it while flying the mighty Musketeer.  It is easy to over power if you want full rudder without any aileron input. 

The seats in the Musketeer have that same arm chair feel as the debonair very comfortable at a much lower speed, love it.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 2

I flew one quite a bit. I didn't know the rudder and ailerons were connected but I'm a positive rudder person from Austers and DH 82's etc. Simple flaps only solid plane well built. Fairly fast over the fence engine out. No issue at all with X winds and rudder.  Nev

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

I watched the same, skywagon university, a great YouTube channel. 

My baby Beechcraft 23 has the same system. It is just a spring inter connect between the rudder and aileron. To be honest I don't think about it while flying the mighty Musketeer.  It is easy to over power if you want full rudder without any aileron input. 

The seats in the Musketeer have that same arm chair feel as the debonair very comfortable at a much lower speed, love it.

Skywagon uni is a great channel.

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, BrendAn said:

I did write beech. Spellcheck must have changed it. I didn't notice

The guy that invented that blasted auto correct BS died recently. May he rust in piss.

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, 440032 said:

The guy that invented that blasted auto correct BS died recently. May he rust in piss.

Bloody thing gets me every time I forget to doublecheck before I post.😁

I turned off autocorrect long ago- tired of American spelling being imposed on me.

One advantage is I can use Aussie lingo like arvo, dunno…. but the main reason is to exercise my few remaining grey cells before old timers sets in.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

One of the great experiences of my life was owning and flying a 1967 Debonair, back in the early 1990s.  I concur with all comments about it being a delight to fly, very comfortable and roomy, and it could carry almost anything you could get through the luggage door.  It was like sitting back and driving a big old Cadillac around, fabulous.  And with those big fat wings it almost landed itself.  I was not aware of the aileron/rudder connection, but I certainly made quite a few crosswind landings with no feeling of being interfered with.  It did seem to require very little rudder in most turns, so maybe that was the reason. Two of the highlights of those times were getting my Night VFR rating in her, and making our biggest-ever trip, from Perth to Broome and back in 1992 - pretty heady stuff for a low-time pilot, with no autopilot or even GPS in those olden days.  Great memories.

• Like 4