Instrumentation for a 2 stroke

A friend has asked about instrumentation for a 2 stroke aircraft engine. It's air cooled.

I suppose it needs RPM, CHT, EGT? and volts would be nice. Anything else?

Then - what to get? Separate eg VDO gauges or some electronic singles, or, or what?

Or, some EFIS something with everything he'll need too, ASI, ALT, etc basics  Something not a lot of expense, less than say a $kyview.

Probably needs a radio too I guess. Doesn't need inbuilt mapping/charts.

MGL something? Kanardia? This is a simple aircraft with not a lot of panel room, bare basics only needed, nothing gold plated. (So Garmin GTHO-XU1 GTS E49 is off the table.)

I only know steam gauges myself but I'll have to admit they seem to be going the way of the dodo. (and taking me with it).

Edited by 440032

If it is a rotax, 503? with the factory recommended jets in the carburetor(s) then as a completely satisfied operator of rotax 377,503 and 582 engines for 38 years now just need RPM. Fuel pressure is next thing I would add.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Check out Grand Rapids Technologies Engine Information System. 2x cht, 2x egt, RPM, Total engine hrs, Volts, OAT; all with selectable limit alarms. Good value for less than $800 I believe. (Or go with T88 - good engines and reliable.)

Edited by Methusala
addition
  • Informative 2