Jab down Chinchilla Airport 26/02/23.

A Jabiru crashed after "experiencing problems after takeoff" at Chinchilla airport around 9:45AM today, 26/02/2023. Two people suffered moderate injuries and were transported to hospital, and are reported to be in a stable condition.

The aircraft appears to be a write-off.

https://countrycaller.com.au/2023/02/26/light-aircraft-crashes-at-western-downs-airport/

@trike1

You have been a member of this forum since 2013. You will have seen numerous accident reports where the poster has had to be told the importance of following the instruction for posting in the Accidents and incidents topic.

You MUST include location and date in the subject heading of your thread. I have corrected it for you in this instance.   -   Moderator.

• Like 2

Untitled-4.jpeg

Notice the bark and stuff on the road on the other side of the truck? Also the port wing has detached and the nose looks moved to port. My opinion is that the plane impacted somewhere left of the picture and began to rotate as it crossed the left side of teh road, still rotating, then the front impacted the roadside bank of the drain. You would need photos from back along that path to confirm Point of Impact and direction of rotation. Doesn't look like it hit a substantial tree.

• Agree 2

Good result if pax are in stable condition .  Cannot see fuel vents so likely is inboard tank variety. Jabs rarely have fuel delivery issues (good design) and shouldnt have vapour issue with pump on,  so something else.   Wasnt particularly hot at AP at 0930 local (24C)  http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60801/IDQ60801.99402.shtml

Edited by RFguy

1 hour ago, 440032 said:

Another flux capacitor failure?

No. In=depth investigation by expert investigators from our very own ATSB have show positively, and with diagrams and complex computer simulations, that the unplanned impact with the Earth, as opposed to a planned impact (otherwise known as greasing it on), was the result of the aircraft's discombobulator discombobulating at a critical flight phase.

A Senior Spokesperson for the ATSB hinted that the ATSB's work result will be published for peer review in a coming issue of Amazing Stories.

image.jpeg.05f55e1edad306cda54fd4c86299efbb.jpeg

• Like 1

Had a good chat to the guy who sent me the photos! he gave me a very interesting account of the accident...I was told, one person on board, was thrown through the windscreen and was lying on the ground several mts from the AC.

Franco

Ps, Waiting to get more factual, information.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Look at all the oil staining on both upper and lower parts of the elevator/HZ stabiliser on the left hand pilots side. 

Where does the exhaust exit on the Jabiru ?  Just on the left or on both sides ?

The dust makes it really visible.

Lucky to get out of this accident, ejected ?    Looks more like vertical damage rather than forward, but thats just an uneducated comment. (which i am good at)

Edited by FlyBoy1960
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

It looks very much like the discombobulator has definitely discombobulated as it is nowhere to be seen. The cabin is still intact which likely contributed to the fact that the occupants suffered only moderate injuries with the impact absorbed by everything else that got smashed up.

If one of those on board was thrown through the windscreen either the seatbelt was not fastened firmly and they slipped through it, they were not wearing it, it broke or became detached. It would be useful to find this out in addition to the cause.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I find it hard to see how one would 'slip through' the seat belt and hard to believe somebody went through the windscreen. But having said that, I find it hard to believe folks think the Earth is flat. 😒

• Like 2

The Jabiru passenger cell looks intact.

As usual, the Jabiru airframe looks after the pax . 

Jabiru should use this in marketing. Everything breaks off around you but the pax cell seems to hold together.

This is a very good result IMO.   I would like a four point harness though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I wonder if the dismantling we often see when Jabirus prang is actually a designed passive safety device like crumple zones in cars. By breaking off wings and rear fuselage, a lot of the pre-impact kinetic energy of the aircraft is dissipated, reducing the amount to be dissipated by the cockpit area.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, old man emu said:

I wonder if the dismantling we often see when Jabirus prang is actually a designed passive safety device like crumple zones in cars. By breaking off wings and rear fuselage, a lot of the pre-impact kinetic energy of the aircraft is dissipated, reducing the amount to be dissipated by the cockpit area.

I bet it is, OME. The low-tech fibreglass used to build Jabirus may be less sexy than the carbon fibre fantastics, but has lots of advantages. It’s much cheaper to buy/ build, is good at absorbing impacts while protecting the humans inside and is much more easily repaired. When crashed into water, Jabs float.
I bet even this one could be patched up if the right moulds and jigs were available.

• Informative 1

I doubt that it would be economical. I'd scrap it and sell off the instruments. I would not bother with the engine - a total strip down/rebuild would be more than buying one off the shelf. I can't see any other parts having much value as replacements.

• Agree 1

''  I would like a four point harness though.  ''   Five point is best .

If leg/waist belt gives way your arms fold behind you  , as shoulder are pulled through the top straps .

That fifth part goes down past your crotch holding , Those shoulder straps tighter  .

( a little lesson from S E S car smashes ) .

spacesailor

• Agree 1