Savannah S Wing Fuel Tank Install Issues/Questions

BC0979

I have both wing structures completed and now working on installing the skins and of course the fuel tank on the right wing.

The manual is lacking and certainly not up to date.

I was smart enough not to drill any holes in the tank as yet because the fittings would not align with the existing holes that we are suppose to use in routing the fuel lines.

***I will definitely need to relocate the holes/fittings in the tank

My question is as follows:

1.  Where do the supply and return/vent lines exit the wing. One pic Chap 24 pic#13 shows at the trialing edge of RIB1 BUT Chap 24 pic#16 shows it exiting just behind the spar at RIB1.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The output hoses ext from the wing at the back of the ribs near the traing edges of the wing. The vent system well thats another matter. If you look at my blog I did it differently. Venting for the tanks using the std method in the manual using 3mm tube from the fuel tank caps is crap. I had a insect block one and had to make a diversion on bingo fuel to recify it and then I had a full tank available. I think I showed the fix in the blog..its pretty huge so go through it and it may give you some ideas

Page 5 and 6  I think you will see the start of my fuel system and sight gauges

Page 36 you can see the new breathers that just fit into the fuel caps

Kyle

Thank you for the response and the link to your build. This will be very very helpful going forward.

I tried to search this forum for a Savannah build earlier without success.

Thanks again.

Bryan

BC, the general layout of the fuel system is shown in a drawing in the POH, which is in the back of your manual.

The fuel return line is piped out of the bottom RH corner of the control panel, then up through a solid pipe, supplied, inside the RH door column. from there it goes into the wing root at the front to a fitting high up in the side of the RH inboard tank.

DSCF2213.thumb.JPG.f992e0c16a6c000033de4b9ec3dbcf61.JPGDSCF2166.thumb.JPG.e8c0fbf25725839af4188e175b1da98e.JPG

The vent pipe from the 6litre collector tank comes across to the LH side and up through the front LH corner of the parcel shelf. From there up inside the LH rear door column, and enters the wing at the rear of the wing root rib. From there into a fitting high in the side of the LH inboard tank.

The two corrugated pipes in the pic are this breather pipe, and the electrics for the wingtip strobe, which both come up the door column.
(The fuel supply lines have all been carried over to the RH side of the cockpit to a valve block, allowing individual tank selection, as per Mark Kyle's build. If you have the long range tanks, this is a very good system, for all sorts of reasons.)

DSCF2152.JPG

Edited by IBob

Your info has been very helpful.

I will be installing a Viking 130 and using their header tank so I will route both vent lines to the trailing edge of the wing near the supply line. The kit #1 has an assortment of corregated tubes which are long enough for my purpose.

Thanks again for the response.

Best regards

Bryan