I am a Pilot – My level of sarcasm depends on the level of

SSCBD

I am a Pilot – My level of sarcasm depends on the level of CASA and its Civil Aviation Orders (CAOs) that describe how you can meet operational, airworthiness and safety requirements (REALLY) this includes the RAA and its ops manual rules or regs “AND” bi-annual flight reviews that CFI’S AND OR instructors think they know more than me - OR disagree with me and that also REALLY REALLY pisses me off.

For example  

1.       You need a barrister's opinion on how to read a reg or what a REG is for. Simple English even with examples - but no liability would be a problem. 

2.       One rule (always) conflicts with another – who writes these fairy-tales (really).

3.       NEVER ever has common sense been applied to any regulation. Not allowed in government.

4.       Class one or two medicals are needed to fly single engine GA aircraft or needed for RAA instructors – However (see example 5)

5.       Class one medicals - Many commercial pilots (Jet) have had heart attacks in flight or driving a car after a medical (this is true - in fact some have over the years after one week of passing the medical) – Go Figure? Or maybe the rule for two pilots on commercial jet aircraft just covers CASA’s arse.

6.       The insane amount of controlled airspace we have with no mandatory light aircraft lanes being required to be provided - for a nice little coastal flight up all the east coast of Australia without all this ATC clearance BS.

7.       The amount of military airspace in Australia would take up whole countries in Europe for how many military aircraft in Australia? And they just  turn them on and off almost without notice. (Someone should be jailed)

8.       AND ASIC requirements at country airports for gods sake – just rip offs boys. – If I fly my little say Cessna 172 or Foxbat into say, Narrabri I don’t see a human for days other than bloody kangaroos trying to kill me running onto the runway. Or you are begging the refueler to come out hopefully.  Surely a simple, turn up at the local cop shop once a year and give them my license and 50 bucks towards the local cops Xmas party and see if the handcuffs come out or I get a little gold stamp for being a good boy gets ride of this ASIC crap for us noncommercial pilots. 

Could go on and on but just thought you guys would like to argue any points that I have or have missed as I could write a bible. Please feel free to include more if inclined or argue.

Till Next time - smile and enjoy aviation.  

• Like 4
  • Caution 1

One other.. The CASA website advice seems to be out of date compared to the regs. On my last trip to Aus, I  went the RVAC to talk abour the arduous route described on the websitte to get an Aussie PPL off the back of my EASA one (yes, I decided to keep the EASA one rather than go British); and I found that it was almost as simple as the FAA's piggy back licence. For once, though, CASA had the right approach from a reg perspective.

4 hours ago, SSCBD said:

Surely a simple, turn up at the local cop shop once a year and give them my license and 50 bucks towards the local cops Xmas party and see if the handcuffs come out or I get a little gold stamp for being a good boy gets ride of this ASIC crap for us noncommercial pilots

A National Police check compares an individual’s details to determine if the details match previously recorded records within the National Police Reference System (NPRS). The results of the NPRS check are assessed by police personnel and a certificate issued. 

How much does a National Police Check cost?

•  Name and Date of birth check is $50.00
•  Name, Date of birth and Fingerprint check is $197.20
•  Volunteer working in Commonwealth Aged care only is $15.00
An additional fee of $5 is payable for applications which require a printed certificate to be mailed to the applicant.

The  Name and Date of birth check of a National Police Check is basically the same check that would be done if you were stopped for allegedly speeding and the constable decided to issue an infringement notice. That's what they are doing when they take your licence and go back to their vehicle.  That check will provide your prior history of interactions with the legal system., whether as a victim of crime or an offender. It will also return to the constable any warnings that may indicate a penchant for doing bad things. 

4 hours ago, SSCBD said:

50 bucks towards the local cops Xmas party

I appreciate that this was written with humorous intent, but the inference offends me as career constable, as it infers a degree of bribery. Please don't use that anymore. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, old man emu said:

•  Name, Date of birth and Fingerprint check is $197.20

The  Name and Date of birth check of a National Police Check is basically the same check that would be done if you were stopped for allegedly speeding and the constable decided to issue an infringement notice. That's what they are doing when they take your licence and go back to their vehicle. 

so what you are saying OME is that when you get a speeding ticket - personalised with 'on site' attendance by Mr Plod  - they are actually giving you an 'in built' $ 197.20 discount

I'll have to start driving with more panache 

No. What I was meaning is that what SSCBD said about having a check to see if you could present the type of risk an ASIC clearance is meant to control should only cost a pittance, not the extortionist fee that is demanded now.

Also, my Working with Children check lasts something like three to five years and is a Name and DOB check. So I agree that the ASIC system is an ineffective approach to security.

33 minutes ago, johnm said:

personalised with 'on site' attendance by Mr Plod 

And was there any need for the use of "Mr Plod"? Think about it next time you are the victim of crime. Or are you the vigilante type?

MY reading of "the roolz" is you do not need an ASIC unless you are arriving at a Security Controlled Airport during the Traffic Period - which is 2 hours before ETA to 2 hours after ATD of the RPT, IIRC. Could be wrong about those times, but that's the gist of it. No RPT scheduled today? No ASIC required today. RPT in the evening and you're there in the morning? No ASIC required. 

Of course, you could always say you dropped it at the bowser at your last refuelling stop, too, should anyone ask. What are they gonna do? Perform a Citizen's Arrest?

41 minutes ago, KRviator said:

he Traffic Period - which is 2 hours before ETA to 2 hours after ATD of the RPT

Now the cat is out of the bag! Now terrorists will know that if they arrive 2.5 hours before the RPT they won't need to produce an ASIC card. They can just hang around airside until they can put their nefarious plans into action.

The last I knew of this is the LOCAL SECURITY Folks decide on what applies at  THEIR particular Aerodrome. That's a tin of worms if I ever saw one. Aerodromes where RPT never went to.  Fertile fields for the Empire builders and there's no shortage of them.  Nev.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KRviator said:

MY reading of "the roolz" is you do not need an ASIC unless you are arriving at a Security Controlled Airport during the Traffic Period - which is 2 hours before ETA to 2 hours after ATD of the RPT, IIRC. Could be wrong about those times, but that's the gist of it. No RPT scheduled today? No ASIC required today. RPT in the evening and you're there in the morning? No ASIC required. 

Of course, you could always say you dropped it at the bowser at your last refuelling stop, too, should anyone ask. What are they gonna do? Perform a Citizen's Arrest?

Thanks KR - that's an interesting insight. 

Are you able to extract that little gem from the roolz and share it with us ?  I could keep it in my pocket whilst flying into said airports.

6 hours ago, Carbon Canary said:

Thanks KR - that's an interesting insight. 

Are you able to extract that little gem from the roolz and share it with us ?  I could keep it in my pocket whilst flying into said airports.

Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005

Subdivision 3.2.1

(1)  Subject to subregulations (4), (4A) and (5), regulations 3.05 to 3.09 and subregulations 3.18(2) and 3.26(2):

(a)  a person in the airside security zone of a security controlled airport must properly display a valid red ASIC; and

(b)  a person in a secure area (other than the airside security zone) of such an airport must properly display either a valid red ASIC or a valid grey ASIC.

Penalty:  5 penalty units.

Note 1:       The requirement in subregulation (1) applies to a person who is accessing parts of the sterile area not generally accessible to passengers or the public.

Note 2:       For properly displaying, see regulation 1.04; for valid, see regulation 1.05; for secure area, see regulation 1.03.

Note 3:       A person who properly displays a valid VIC or TAC, and is supervised by a person who properly displays a valid ASIC, need not display a valid ASIC—see regulation 3.09.

(2)  To avoid doubt, the obligations in subregulation (1) apply to crew.

(3)  A contravention of subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.

(4)  Subregulation (1) does not apply in relation to a security controlled airport from or to which no regular public transport operation operates.

(4A)  At a security controlled airport from or to which no screened air service operates, paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) apply only during traffic periods.

(4B)  To avoid doubt, there is no requirement that a person display a VIC or TAC in the secure area of an airport referred to in subregulation (4A) other than during traffic periods.

From the Definitions;

screened air service—see regulation 4.02.

traffic period, for a security controlled airport, means a period that begins 2 hours before the scheduled time of arrival, and ends 2 hours after the actual time of departure, of a scheduled air service that operates to or from the airport.

Edited by RossK
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KRviator said:

When I flew my jabiru back from Bundaberg to Gawler in 2009 I stopped at Broken Hill for fuel and a coffee. Nobody asked to see an ASIC and the gates were NOT locked. If anybody had tried to stop me getting back to my plane, it would have made the news. 

IMO the only benefit of asic/avid is to prevent non-flying people wandering around aeroplanes on the apron, taxiways, runways... But yeah, it is expensive, at some aerodromes abused, and sometimes not effective.

On 08/03/2023 at 3:32 PM, RossK said:

The Roolz

Thanks muchly @RossK - saves me delving into the books again :thumb up:.

But you've highlighted something I'd overlooked, the "Screened air service" bit. So if QuaintArse fly their Q400's in there, they're big enough to need screening, but if they only fly their Diminutive Dash's or Rex with Saab's which don't carry enough SLF to require screening - 40 pax is the magic number you're golden. So Broken Hill is ok, but Tamworth is not. But it is still useful to bear in mind should some security zealot try it on for anyone in their Jab or Jodel who is simply passing through on a Sunday arvo.

I've tried to find a list of airport tiers and failed. I do recall a bit of discussion a little while ago in the rural papers about Miles (I think) trying to downgrade their screening to avoid paying extra.

The other interesting tidbit there is the punishment  a mere 5 penalty units. Each Penalty Unit is $275 now, if I've read it right, so you only have to be asked for your ASIC every 6 years, be unable to produce it, be arrested and prosecuted for failing to display your ASIC and you're ahead financially.

• Informative 1

Bosi72

If we mere none flying people ( public ) . Apply & recieve a ' red asic card ' , would that negate ANY use of the same card for the '  minority ' flying public .

After all we would have been daft enough to pay, for what is not warranted for the majority. 

spacesailor

Spacesailor,  from my memory, there was a question in Avid application form whether you are a pilot/student/employee related to aviation. To my understanding, and I could be wrong, you can't get a card unless you are related to flying.

But yes I agree, it is not bullet proof, it is expensive, and at many places pointless. 

Apparently, "security" is the big business these days..

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, KRviator said:

But you've highlighted something I'd overlooked, the "Screened air service" bit. So if QuaintArse fly their Q400's in there, they're big enough to need screening, but if they only fly their Diminutive Dash's or Rex with Saab's which don't carry enough SLF to require screening - 40 pax is the magic number you're golden. So Broken Hill is ok, but Tamworth is not. 

And this is the stupidity of the legislation and the way it's implemented. 

ERSA tells us that an airport is Security Controlled or not. Some actually state that an ASIC is required at all times, while others just say that it is Security Controlled.

So it then falls on us to try to find out what aircraft ,and how many passengers do they seat, will be arriving to then determine if it's a Screened Air Service.

Which for some Airports, is not that easy.

• Like 1

Related to Flying ! ,

Like a None pilot OWNER .

My wife Owns a car but does Not have a license !.

If the Mere public  wins a ' Sirus SR22 '' Are they going to be Banned from flying ,! & not have that ' RED' card , when their chauffeur drops them off at YSSY ,

Lots of reasons to get that red card , flying merely one of them .

spacesailor

Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof. Cross that bridge when you come to it, . IF you are flying out of Sydney join the pax queue to an Airline of your choice rather than fly a single engined bug smasher over a city. IF you are like me you couldn't afford to operate it. Check out the landing fees for one thing.  Nev

But !.

CHECK-OUT.

The " Angel flight " raffle terms , All related expenses,  paid for that first year . ( includes that red card )

I know that my ' poverty pension ' will never get me  " soaring like an eagle " .

But any ' straw ' to grasp, will give me a ' thermal ' lift .LoL

spacesailor