a trailer for an Avid speedwing. Anyone ever built one?

AVIDSteve

Hi all,

I need to build a trailer. I'd prefer it to be boxed so it is a portable hangar. Has anyone built one or trailed theirs? I am chasing some true dimensions. It appears that folded the speed wings are 2.43m wide. Some say the fuselage has to be level to trailer . Some say not even when on a flatbed and exposed to the wind.  if I can load it level then i can have the box wider at wing height and narrow close to wheels for those narrow New Zealand guardrails on bridges.

I'd love to hear from folk who have actually done it.

Cheers

I converted a 1975 Viscount Caravan into  an Aircraft CarrierIMG_2889(3).thumb.JPG.686fc90a18f7462e187b5356b9f4c69b.JPG

I was in a hurry, did the conversion over 2 weeks. The day it passed rego,  embarked on a 20+hr round trip to pick up my new Sonex. Shes not the prettiest but is weather proof and does the job handsomely. She's carried the Sonex and later an RV (8 ?) .

From memory the Viscount can accommodate a bit over 8m in length. I have installed lots of tie down anchor points all down each side. Loading, through the full width back door, is with the aid of aluminium motorcycle folding ramps.

I prefer dual axle for stability & load flexibility. It has electric brakes. Is super light (for such a big van) at 1240 kg. Tows straight but at speeds above about 90 kph your built in head wind really starts to  have a negative impact on fuel consumption.

The widest part, of a completed aircraft (without wings on) is the horizontal stabiliser - if you are going to leave your stab attached, this will determine the internal width, of an enclosed van (may not be possible for some aircraft).

Vertical tail not usually an issue bit this should also be checked

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

22 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

I converted a 1975 Viscount Caravan into  an Aircraft CarrierIMG_2889(3).thumb.JPG.686fc90a18f7462e187b5356b9f4c69b.JPG

I was in a hurry, did the conversion over 2 weeks. The day it passed rego,  embarked on a 20+hr round trip to pick up my new Sonex. Shes not the prettiest but is weather proof and does the job handsomely. She's carried the Sonex and later an RV (8 ?) .

From memory the Viscount can accommodate a bit over 8m in length. I have installed lots of tie down anchor points all down each side. Loading, through the full width back door, is with the aid of aluminium motorcycle folding ramps.

I prefer dual axle for stability & load flexibility. It has electric brakes. Is super light (for such a big van) at 1240 kg. Tows straight but at speeds above about 90 kph your built in head wind really starts to  have a negative impact on fuel consumption.

The widest part, of a completed aircraft (without wings on) is the horizontal stabiliser - if you are going to leave your stab attached, this will determine the internal width, of an enclosed van (may not be possible for some aircraft).

Vertical tail not usually an issue bit this should also be checked

The Viscount lives on. I love it. Caravans near as old as me. I am hoping to leave the wings on as the Avid wings fold easily. But they do make it wide. I'll check the internal width on some old vans. CheersAerotrek aircraft trailers

Hi Steve - my Viscount is within MM of maximum legal width. Any more and a permit would be required for the public road. Internal structure is all  aluminium channel imperial gauge, which makes compatibility with what is currently available difficult. (some ingenuity is required if mods to frame required).

Something I didn't know -caravans internal fit out is also part of the structure - removing internals results is a very wobbly van. I braced mine with 4, square section pipe ribs (blue), before I put the floor in and of course the freight door & frame, is also a stiffening brace. Where I thought it was deficient,  I also added some outriggers to the, super strong steel chasse (don't make them like they used to).

image.thumb.jpeg.92a5d74c2747d0ec72d721b4a0c92116.jpeg

Interior shot - Sonex wings & horizontal stab in front of freight door

Should you want more info - go to private contact.

• Informative 1