Aircraft ID please?

That's a pretty old photo judging by the 1953 model Ford Customline in the background. I can find very little about Aerial Missions W.A. Inc on the 'net, although it appears they still operate as a small-level Christian charity, catering mostly to Aboriginals. I suspect their Piper is long gone, thanks to the increased costs of aviation in recent years, as compared to the 1950's and 1960's.

Edited by onetrack

Yeah, it’s a very old photo, probably taken by my father who was a missionary in those days in the far eastern WA goldfields, north east of Laverton. Possibly the 50’s or early 60’s.

• Informative 1

Well, the Tripe seems to have been the bee's-knees for charter biz back then.

Just ask mini chauffeur and First-Officer Muldoon of Executive Air Transport.

[Click thumbnail for full size.]

image.thumb.jpeg.e6afcf91acac8f2855371453a31c1966.jpeg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I thought it was a TRIPER. Bit slow and brick like in a glide. 

No, not always.  And yes, definitely.

image.jpeg.ff40a0d72733c8e0b091c69720c81328.jpeg

Default Turn back to airport in a Tripe? 

"Let's face it. Our planes are not great gliders."

Default Re: Turn back to airport in a Tripe?

"I've always heard that when your engine quits in a Pacer you look out your side window over the front of your tire and that's your landing spot. Being that a tripe's gear is a little farther to the rear, that might be a little less accurate. icon_rolleyes.gif"

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?12704-Turn-back-to-airport-in-a-Tripe

36 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The C-172 at the time had a 6 cylinder 0-300 Continental and fowler flaps.   Nev

Yes, but very few C172 captains turned up in full dress uniform.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Used to fly as navigator in a TriPacer out of Dubbo. It was also used as a glider tug at Narromine in the mid-70's.

One thing I hate about Pipers in general is that there is only one door. I hated getting trampled by the evacuating pilot.  Cessnas spoiled you with their independent toe brakes.

There's one in need of a double helping of TLC at The Oaks. It's got a CSU, and wood rot. If wishes were .... you'd see an emu fly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Should be able to be repaired The fuselage is all round tube. Hi wing Cessna's have the best flaps in the light aircraft game.   Nev

Mine were like barn doors on the 182, slowed you down real well when applied to 40 degrees.

I do miss TWM, I hope the new owner is enjoying it.

• Like 2

Those older 40 degree 152 / 172 / 182 were fun, as a student doing practice forced landings they came in very handy if you’d ended up high on your approach. Also really demonstrated the need for good go around discipline as on a 152 or 172 at least you’re not going anywhere but down or maybe straight ahead with 40 deg regardless of power setting.

I don’t know what piper were thinking with the doors on their aircraft, especially for the tri pacer’s successor, let’s delete another door and leave just one for the whole plane. At least they added the back door for the Cherokee 6. Someone must have gotten a talking to about that oversight 😉 

• Like 1