Started a spare parts list

Very late in the build of my ultralight, Ive started a list of spare parts. That is, parts that the kit supplier has clearly sourced from elsewhere, so  why not go straight to the source?

What got me started was noticing the part number on the radiator hoses. I googled it and found it's a South African car parts store. Unfortunately I can't tell exactly what car from their description, just Datsun as far as I can tell. But at least means I can probably buy those hoses from them directly rather than the kit supplier.

Also on my list now, compliments of a post from skippydiesel is the part number for a BMW radiator cap, same as Rotax but much cheaper. 

Talking of Rotax, who has any other suggestions for alternative bits and pieces for the 912? Must be definite. If not, I'd rather just get the Rotax part. 

• Like 1

Long time since Datsun 's name was used. If  you fit other make parts to your Rotax if it's certified you are probably not airworthy, same is if you put the whole Chinese version in it..Nev

• Like 1

Hi Dany,

For myself I have always been happy to  use "service" items from alternative supplier SUBJECT TO meeting or exceeding Rotax specifications (where /when available).  The moral of the story is know the Rotax standard - use this as your minimum.

All my coolant & fuel hoses are Gates, because Gates have their hose standards on line and you can compare them with Rotax. My Zephyr used  Gemini radiator pre shaped hoses, with one Gates supplied elbow/joiner to suit.

Most of my oil hoses are also Gates or Continental, for the same reasons (Continental is a Rotax supplier BUT they wont sell you the exact hose they supply to Rotax).

I am sure there are other suppliers out there who's products standards are available & comprehensive eg a coolant/oil hose must be able to be bent through a given radius , when hot, without collapsing / working positive pressure, is of little value, if your hose is under negative pressure, working temperature is what you are looking for not max temperature, etc, etc

I would not try and substitute Rotax repair items, from an after market source, unless I knew with absolute certainty, that it is exactly the same as the Rotax part.

Edited by skippydiesel

The last Datsuns were produced in 1986 when the name was dropped in favour of the brand owner, Nissan so anything available for a Datsun will be after market with unknown quality.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Yes, but if you want a hose for a Datsun 180B, that's what you ask for. I'm guessing particular types of Datsun were ubiquitous in South Africa, and so that part is common. Bit like the Peugeot 504, it is to Africa what Red Motor Holden's are to Australia.

Anyway, don't get hung up on what the hose is for. What I'm saying is my kit manufacturer sourced it from the equivalent of Repco, and so I can too.

On Rotax parts, skippy recommended a BMW radiator cap in a different thread. So that's now on my list. Skippy what is the Gates  part number for the oil hoses?

Edit: Datsun 1200 was popular in Sert Efrikah

https://www.news24.com/news24/bi-archive/end-of-the-road-for-datsun-2022-4

Edited by danny_galaga

If the Part meets OEM standards you're good to go.  The 912+ engines have critical parts with metallurgy and fit. . Gates and others may  exceed the original specs in the area they n=manufacture. I  doubt the Copy engine does as it's not marketed into the same market if you read the ads properly.. Getting certified aero motors is not just saying something warm and fuzzy.   Nev

Edited by facthunter

I wouldn't say that "anything aftermarket is unknown quality" is 100% correct. There are a considerable number of aftermarket parts manufacturers with a good track record for quality.

Mackay, Gates and Dayco for hoses and belts, GMB for water pumps, Koito for a wide range of parts, Mahle for pistons, and anything from a manufacturer based in Taiwan is normally of excellent quality.

Remember that the original manufacturers often subcontract these aftermarket manufacturers to supply original parts. OEM Ford parts are often of pretty dubious quality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, facthunter said:

If the Part meets OEM standards you're good to go.  The 912+ engines have critical parts with metallurgy and fit. . Gates and others may  exceed the original specs in the area they n=manufacture. I  doubt the Copy engine does as it's not marketed into the same market if you read the ads properly.. Getting certified aero motors is not just saying something warm and fuzzy.   Nev

That's great, but I'm not talking about a copy engine. You've seen on another post somewhere that I would rather have a good 'on condition ' genuine Rotax than a new copy engine.

I'm just wanting to add to my list of reputable parts sources for various bits on the Rotax, any other part of the plane, well I just wish I'd thought of googling the bits and pieces as they came to hand earlier 😄

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

It doesn't pay to market things that play up these days. I question your last Para. to current situation. It might have applied to ball joints on a model back a while TRW. Had a good name.  Nev

I'm wondering if we are talking at cross purposes here. I thought I was clear. But a picture is worth a thousand words they say. The attached picture is a hose FROM MY KIT. if you google the part number on the label, you get to this car parts supplier

https://www.modernautoparts.co.za

Just to be one thousand per cent sure, you can type in the other part number on the label and you get the same hose. This, I am confident this is where my kit supplier (which is based in South Africa) gets their radiator hose from  and therefore so can i. 

And I was also asking about any parts that people know are good for Rotax engines. Skippy has come through with a radiator cap and gates hoses. There is one other part I know of, not the engine itself but the regulator/rectifier. I believe it's common to use a Ducati version of some description. Anyone know a source for that?

Sorry, no idea why that last bit is underlined. Hard to edit posts on this site 😸

IMG_20230312_101754.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga
Conniptions
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, danny_galaga said:

I'm wondering if we are talking at cross purposes here. I thought I was clear. But a picture is worth a thousand words they say. The attached picture is a hose FROM MY KIT. if you google the part number on the label, you get to this car parts supplier

https://www.modernautoparts.co.za

Just to be one thousand per cent sure, you can type in the other part number on the label and you get the same hose. This, I am confident this is where my kit supplier gets their radiator hose from  and therefore so can i. IMG_20230312_101754.thumb.jpg.15a49bce384524021f2a617c47ba6458.jpg

Go into auto shop and compare with what they have and not part number of similar hose.

I'm not particularly referring to hoses which can be very variable quality at times so you have to keep an eye on them. It's often matter of what you can GET as they will vary with installations. Also the majority of engines are air cooled making it a smaller market .  I've never heard of a made to measure market existing.. Nev

No, definitely for kit aircraft, having made to order parts would mostly be quite expensive. For example , radiator hoses

😉

Skippys Zephyr for instance used a Gemini radiator hose, and mine it would seem, a Datsun. Mine is not marked Nissan/Datsun so it's safe to assume it's not Nissan/Datsun OEM. 

Edited by danny_galaga

The radiator hose is a bottom radiator hose that belongs to the Nissan 1400 ute ("bakkie"), which was not sold in Australia. It's made by a local South African rubber components supplier.

The engine in the Nissan 1400 ute is the Nissan A14, a 1.4L engine that was fitted to a wide range of vehicles, and forklifts as well. I can't recall what Australian Nissans used this engine, Nissan swapped engines around like I swap my shirts.

It does appear the A14 engine was used in the Nissan Pulsar N10 of the early 1980's, but there's no guarantee the Pulsar uses the same radiator hoses as the S.A. Nissan 1400 ute. Nissan are bastards for constant changes. 

My workshop neighbour has a later (1999) Pulsar with the 1.6L engine, and the thermostat housing rotted out on it - but there are no less than three different thermostat housings for this engine! And they all look the same at first glance!

I always try to acquire old printed catalogues, I have a cupboard full of them - water pumps, hoses, brake components, ignition parts, suspension parts, etc, etc - they're a goldmine for tracking down parts, because they give you so much information.

https://www.proautorubberkzn.net/radiatorhoses

• Informative 1

And there it is DOE1026. Nissan 1400 lower. I wasn't expecting any further info on my hose since I have a retail supplier source now, but you've gone above and beyond. This seems to be the manufacturer 😊

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

For fuel line I use Gates Barricade EFI (also known as MPI) this is overkill for pressure rating but has slightly better temperature & permeability. This is compared with the Barricade Carburation Hose, which also meet the Rotax specifications. Comes in a range of ID's - there will be one to suit your application. Be sure to get the right size, cut carefully (I prefer to cut, so installed length is covering the whole length of the spigot at each end. Use a hose cutter for nice 90 degree clean cuts and blow through with compressed air before installation).

https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/media/files/gates-au/automotive/brochures/cooling-system-and-hose-products/gates-fuel-hose-flyer--june-2018.pdf

For coolant hose, Gates again -

Radiators; where possible find a preformed vehicle hose/hoses that will fit your set up - this may take some searching (with the aid of your friendly Repco person). The hose you select is unlikely to be a perfect fit - may need to be shortened and/or joined . When joining, again use Gates special joiners made specifically for their coolant hoses. - see attached catalogue PDF

Reticulation hoses: Too many to choose from - check out attached catalogue PDF Note: Do not use heater hose unless specifications allow. I do not recommend the very heavy hoses - way over the top & too stiff, may put side loads on your radiator spigots.

https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/media/files/gates-au/automotive/catalogues/hose-application-catalogue-aus-nz-january-2018.pdf

The above hoses/parts are available through Repco

Oil - Gates  GTH - 8 hose from Hydraulink. Be sure to order correct ID for your application.

If you want detailed information/rational/argument see Oil Hose/Rotax 912 this Forum

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks, just so happens I got to an impasse putting on an oil line. Manual says to use oil hose supplied with engine but of course I have a second hand engine without that bit of hose 😊

I'll try and make my way to hydraulink tomorrow and take my oil line with me for the correct size.

12 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Thanks, just so happens I got to an impasse putting on an oil line. Manual says to use oil hose supplied with engine but of course I have a second hand engine without that bit of hose 😊

I'll try and make my way to hydraulink tomorrow and take my oil line with me for the correct size.

Glad to be of service

When it comes to using an old part as a sample, be careful it may not be the correct size - better to measure your push-on spigots and size the hose accordingly.

• Like 2

its a new aluminium oil line, so if I take that with me, I can let the experts measure it 🙂 

edit: having said that, I see what you mean. I will compare the Rotax spigot with the ali oil line. Easy to take off that spigot, maybe ill take that as well...

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Radiator caps may not be all the same; the spring tension dictates at what pressure it lets coolant overflow into the reservoir. Are Rotax and BMW set to the same pressure?

I picked up the advice from this thread:

https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/28979-blowing-the-coolant-out-rotax-912-uls/

The BMW 650 has a Rotax motor coincidentally, which doesn't mean much. A friend has one, I might see if there is any info on his radiator cap, and compare to mine 

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Informative 1

27 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

its a new aluminium oil line, so if I take that with me, I can let the experts measure it 🙂 

edit: having said that, I see what you mean. I will compare the Rotax spigot with the ali oil line. Easy to take off that spigot, maybe ill take that as well...

Maybe take the oil can connection, it can be removed.   1/2”.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Radiator caps may not be all the same; the spring tension dictates at what pressure it lets coolant overflow into the reservoir. Are Rotax and BMW set to the same pressure?

Short answer Yes! When I purchased a new higher pressure cap,( as per Rotax advice) the BMW cap not only had same part number, it had the correct pressure rating and to cap 😆it all the same size cap.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Informative 2

29 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Short answer Yes! When I purchased a new higher pressure cap,( as per Rotax advice) the Ducati cap not only had same part number it had the correct pressure rating and to cap 😆it all the same size cap.

Note: Gates  GTH-8  now appears to be  8GTH

• Informative 2

13 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Short answer Yes! When I purchased a new higher pressure cap,( as per Rotax advice) the Ducati cap not only had same part number it had the correct pressure rating and to cap 😆it all the same size cap.

Note: Gates  GTH-8  now appears to be  8GTH

Just to keep people on their toes 😂

List updated. Thanks 👍

• Like 1