Started a spare parts list

Another part to put on my list is the oil coolers, which are made by Setrab, an aftermarket company. They are sold in Australia too. Mine are standard Setrab sizes. Radiator probably is too, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Another reason to keep a list is that there is always a chance that one day, that kit factory won't be around anymore. Obviously I hope they outlive my ownership of the plane 😄 . But if it comes to it, it would be nice to have this list for some of the spare parts I may need down the track.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I give up on the oil hose. I'll just pay through the nose for the 'real deal'. I need to finish this stupid project before I set it on fire. Tired of all the road blocks...

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Informative 1

19 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

I give up on the oil hose. I'll just pay through the nose for the 'real deal'. I need to finish this stupid project before I set it on fire. Tired of all the road blocks...

Now, now! Just put the tools down and go outside for a breather. Patience is a virtue, and you like to be virtuous, don't you?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Now, now! Just put the tools down and go outside for a breather. Patience is a virtue, and you like to be virtuous, don't you?

Nope 😂

Time is money. And patience needs time. The mystery of the oil hose is at once exasperating and mundane. It's like it's made of a combination of rocking horse shit, gold and hens teeth 😄

Engine is going in tomorrow, my mechanic at the airfield has some hose hell sell me. I'll just do those couple of joins there before the engine goes in 🙂

• Winner 1

49 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

That's what I do re oil hose; purchase from floods.  Never want a leak or failure of oil hose.  Can be assured of quality.  Coolant is 4 ply silicone hose.  Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

Oil hose Gates  GTH - 8 hose from Hydraulink. Floods will sell you CONTI M4M-2 for about x 4 the price of the Gates product.  

39 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Oil hose Gates  GTH - 8 hose from Hydraulink. Floods will sell you CONTI M4M-2 for about x 4 the price of the Gates product.  

Size? Part number? GTH just means general transmission hose or summink. My manual just says 'hose supplied by rotax' . I went to Repco for something else (see next post!) While I was there asked about GTH8 . They had Gates transmission hose, but it didn't have the word GTH8 so I passed. I was on my way to hydraulink. When I got there it turns out hydraulink are a mobile service and he was on a call out. That's when I lost interest 😅 

Everything nowadays has a part number. The only part number we seem to be able to get for this fantastical hose is this Cunti stuff. 

I only need a metre. I didn't ask the price from the mechanic. Maybe he has a line on something like Gates too. But at worst I'm out by the difference (($60 maybe?) and I can fit the engine tomorrow 🙂

We can revisit the oil hose mystery in five years when I have to replace it. But for a success story, read on!

• Informative 1

On 12/03/2023 at 2:09 PM, Blueadventures said:

Go into auto shop and compare with what they have and not part number of similar hose.

So even though I had the part number for the actual radiator hose the kit factory uses, I wasn't very happy. The hose is about 27mm ID and the expansion bottle and Ali pipes in the kit are 25mm ID.

People are living with it, but I think it's not great form to be trying to seal that difference by tightening hard or putting the clamp on the barb. 

So I took a leaf out of Blues book and compared other hoses in 25mm. Did it online but I identified two Gates universal hoses that allows me to at least get the back of the motor done before I install it in the plane.

I also bought a SS spring to put in inside one that bends slightly past 90 degrees. Had to modify the spring because they sold me the wrong type, which was to go on the outside of hoses. 

A little win, and those Gates numbers will go in my list ☺️

IMG_20230314_140135_HDR.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 2

The inside spring is used where there's a suction applying and on small ID hoses of any reasonable wall thickness are unlikely to be needed.  I would think RUBBER hoses are not used were fuel or OIL are involved. Nev

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Personal preference of coolant hose in service.  Will not be replacing at 5 year intervals.

So you have likely purchased a heavy hose, at an high price, that will now not be replaced at the recommend service interval - you are experimenting, which is fine,if you have actually done the research - how often will you replace the coolant?

• Informative 1

Hi Danny_ Galaga - preformed hoses , as per your photo, should not need any additional reinforcing, to prevent collapse. I would suggest you are adding unnecessary weight & cost.

Edited by skippydiesel

23 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Size? Part number? GTH just means general transmission hose or summink. My manual just says 'hose supplied by rotax' . I went to Repco for something else (see next post!) While I was there asked about GTH8 . They had Gates transmission hose, but it didn't have the word GTH8 so I passed. I was on my way to hydraulink. When I got there it turns out hydraulink are a mobile service and he was on a call out. That's when I lost interest 😅 

Everything nowadays has a part number. The only part number we seem to be able to get for this fantastical hose is this Cunti stuff. 

I only need a metre. I didn't ask the price from the mechanic. Maybe he has a line on something like Gates too. But at worst I'm out by the difference (($60 maybe?) and I can fit the engine tomorrow 🙂

We can revisit the oil hose mystery in five years when I have to replace it. But for a success story, read on!

https://www.gates.com/in/en/fluid-power/hydraulic-hose-and-couplings/textile-braid-hose-and-couplings.p.3319-000000-000001.html

https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/products/hydraulics-couplings-and-equipment/hydraulic-hose/low-pressure/gth-high-temp-fiber-braid-hose

https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/media/files/gates-au/hydraulics/catalogues/hyd-fluid-power-catalogue-us-2019.pdf

As far as I know  Hydraulink are the only Australian stockist for this Gates range of products 

30 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Hi Danny_ Galaga - preformed hoses , as per your photo, should not need any additional reinforcing, to prevent collapse. I would suggest you are adding unnecessary weight & cost.

The radiator hose is 90 degrees, but the angle it is bent to is maybe 80 degrees. when you do that, it pinches a bit. May not make any difference, but i feel better if that spring is in there. The hose itself is a tad lighter so I would say the extra 30 grams of the spring or whatever it is is balanced out by the lighter hoses 🙂

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Trying new ideas can make good engines unreliable. An example is the gravity oil return engine to oil tank on a Gipsy 1-C. People put a clear plastic pipe  there and it goes flat when hot  and the oil builds up inside the motor and eventually the oilpump sucks air and Bang a conrod through the Case.. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Putting On Weight

Not suggesting for one moment that I am not subject to the occasional enhancement/addition, to make me feel better/ a wee bit safer/satisfied BUT its truly amazing how all the little extra Grams add up.

Cant remember the Forum/article where I read about what people have in their aircraft "just in case" and the cost in performance that this inevitably results in - I took the next opportunity to declutter my little aircraft - I think all up I had about 15kg of "comfort stuff" most of which would never be used, was out of date (including a carefully sealed bar of dark chocolate that had turned to powder) or just unnecessary. Binned almost all of it. Unfortunately within 2-3  years similar stuff had taken up residence.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

So you have likely purchased a heavy hose, at an high price, that will now not be replaced at the recommend service interval - you are experimenting, which is fine,if you have actually done the research - how often will you replace the coolant?

Will be cheaper dollar wise and time wise.  Such is in use in the aviation Rotax world and meeting requirements.  This change was made at the 5 year replacement time applying current era data and recommendations. Coolant replaced at time interval (Castrol Radicool). Are you saying you have on variance to your 19 reg aircraft regarding engine or airframe etc??

1 minute ago, Blueadventures said:

Will be cheaper dollar wise and time wise.  Such is in use in the aviation Rotax world and meeting requirements.  This change was made at the 5 year replacement time applying current era data and recommendations. Coolant replaced at time interval (Castrol Radicool). Are you saying you have on variance to your 19 reg aircraft regarding engine or airframe etc??

Just cant see the benefit in silicon hose in an aircraft engine that recommends 5 year hose  replacement. 

Every silicon hose I have seen, is not only very much more expensive than the traditional "rubber" its significantly heavier as well. 

When I do a 5 year rubber replacement, I use it as an opportunity for a major check/inspection of the whole aircraft (over and above other routine services).

I feel there is a danger of fit & forget, with silicon, which does not suit my approach to aircraft maintenance ie I much preferer the routine & process of the 5 year change.

I am not against silicon per say - it just doesn't seem to deliver a significant benefit. The much touted cost savings are minimal, when you take into account the time span.

• Informative 1

47 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Just cant see the benefit in silicon hose in an aircraft engine that recommends 5 year hose  replacement. 

Every silicon hose I have seen, is not only very much more expensive than the traditional "rubber" its significantly heavier as well. 

When I do a 5 year rubber replacement, I use it as an opportunity for a major check/inspection of the whole aircraft (over and above other routine services).

I feel there is a danger of fit & forget, with silicon, which does not suit my approach to aircraft maintenance ie I much preferer the routine & process of the 5 year change.

I am not against silicon per say - it just doesn't seem to deliver a significant benefit. The much touted cost savings are minimal, when you take into account the time span.

It looks pretty and has better heat tolerance.  Some installs don't have at least a 16mm air gap between exhaust components and the hose.  

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

It looks pretty and has better heat tolerance.  Some installs don't have at least a 16mm air gap between exhaust components and the hose.  

Cant argue with your aesthetic taste. If you are striving for "a look" - go for it!

Heat tolerance ? - okay but at what point do you say a product, is so far over specified, that any additional cost, related to the over specification, can not be practically justified?

In my limited experience, cheap & effective heat shielding can be installed on systems that may be exposed to high levels of radiant/convective heat.

Don't get me wrong I support your right to spend what you wish on your aircraft - I just question the rational of this spend, especially when there is an associated weight penalty to go with the dollars.