Parking plane in my own garage, but my driveway is a steep one

I'm renovating my house and start to consider to do some alterations to my garage in case I need to park my future plane in it.

I'm lucky enough to have a garage with a garage door with over 2.4m of clearance. The length is 7m and width is 4m. That should be enough to put in a light plane with wings folded.

However, I'm not that lucky when looking at the driveway, the steepest section is close to 1 in 4, or 14 degrees.

I guess I will have to manually pull the plane out of the garage, manage it through the very steep yet short (4m long) driveway, turn 90 degrees so it is parallel to the road, which is also not flat, then get it onto the trailer.

Is it even possible?

Anything is possible, but some things are not practical.

Getting my plane into it’s “garage” (a shipping container built into my shed) involves reversing the long carrier up a sloping driveway. I installed a winch on the unit to hand-crank it up the slope, but now rarely use it. 
Perhaps you can use a power winch.

The steep slope is hard to reverse up accurately, but once the wheels are on the level floor, I unhitch and push it in by hand.

• Like 2

Most power winches are easily converted to remote control operation.

Just ask any automatic gate guy that knows his stuff with a bit of background electrical knowledge. 

I converted my trailer boat winches that way decades ago, after having my partner just stand there looking pretty, (we were both a lot younger then) while I struggled to get my boat on the trailer when a strong southerly wind was blowing.

At one time I considered marketing an add-on kit, but never got around to it, despite having now about 60-yrs in the game.

If anyone fancies having a go themselves, make sure you use rolling-code or tri-code radio gear on probably 493 meg , and not on 27meg hz as marine 2-way gear and CB's will jamb them up if anyone is transmitting.

(The cost of parts should cost no more than a couple of hundred bucks)

Edited by planedriver
Approx cost added.
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

1:4 is a fairly steep driveway, if you're going to winch your plane up by the NLG alone, consider whether you're potentially overstressing the attachment structure and you may be better to run a bridle cable across both MLG's. Just a thought.

The builder & PO of my hangar flew a 185 and installed an electric hoist that he dynabolted to the floor and spliced in 30m or so of orange multi-core cable to run the up/down buttons to get it in via the tailwheel. I don't use it as I taxi it in nose-first and am thinking about repurposing it to pull the caravan in beside the RV.

Whatever you use, make sure it has an in-built brake that can hold your Vixxen, let it bugger off down the driveway without you. Most will, but just make sure.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot @old Korelah @planedriver and @KRviator. 

I was a bit desperate yesterday. Now it seems be quite possible, just depends on whether I can figure out a practical way.

I will  do the new garage door with maximised height to make it possible. 

How sbout ' power caravan jockey wheel ' could be adapted to ' a tray for the nose wheel '  .

And ' chocks ' tied behind the mains to stop runaway if things go awry. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
  • Like 2

We see too many steep driveways, where an off-the-shelf house is plonked down on a sloping block. Sometimes a cold engine is forced to climb a slope to get to the road.

Often it would have been better to build the car level with the road, either under the house or above the living area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Puting an aircraft on and off the trailer four times, plus assembly, to go flying will get old very quickly. Rent some hangar space or join an aero club. Aero clubs are still the cheapest way to fly up to 50 hours a year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

Puting an aircraft on and off the trailer four times, plus assembly, to go flying will get old very quickly. Rent some hangar space or join an aero club. Aero clubs are still the cheapest way to fly up to 50 hours a year.

Thanks. It would be definitely a pain unless the the plane can stay on the trailer. However my garage does not have the height required.

Saying that, would it be possible to do some maintenance in the garage, even though using hangar at other time? If so, How large would the garage need to be?

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

Keeping your plane folded up on it’s trailer might earn you a reduced rate in a hangar.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of parking at home, is that I would have opportunity to do more maintenance work. Not that I don't trust the more professional maintenance technicians, it's just a good chance to know better the machine that I rely on. 
If I can find an affordable hangar near home, that would be ideal for sure.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 13/03/2023 at 3:50 PM, facthunter said:

I've seen people use a remote controlled electric winch and the control is on a lead long enough for you to help guide the plane at the same time. Nev

Exactly! for safety sake you set remote up in "man present" mode so the winch only pulls while the button on remote is depressed. Release button and it stops. Otherwise if it keeps going till the next signal, it could keep going till passes the end of trailer ripping your pride and joy to bits, if there's no limit switch. I had a remote which simply hung around my neck and I was there to be able to give he boat a bit of a shove if need be while winding it in.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone. These info really helps. I just altered my plan so the proposed garage is taking larger space from the old one I'm converting, or 7m long x 4m wide x 2.9m height. I reckon it would be enough to store some thing. 

On 13/03/2023 at 9:55 AM, planedriver said:

Most power winches are easily converted to remote control operation.

Just ask any automatic gate guy that knows his stuff with a bit of background electrical knowledge. 

I converted my trailer boat winches that way decades ago, after having my partner just stand there looking pretty, (we were both a lot younger then) while I struggled to get my boat on the trailer when a strong southerly wind was blowing.

At one time I considered marketing an add-on kit, but never got around to it, despite having now about 60-yrs in the game.

If anyone fancies having a go themselves, make sure you use rolling-code or tri-code radio gear on probably 493 meg , and not on 27meg hz as marine 2-way gear and CB's will jamb them up if anyone is transmitting.

(The cost of parts should cost no more than a couple of hundred bucks)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313810012816?hash=item491088ca90:g:0w8AAOSwaZphyojh&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0DlA4BfruWWUJHKxrzwJKwX2IPP2odpqlJro5YD6OJAxYZelTfb516POvcVDExH%2BbOAA0ArpY6O%2BNV79AbKAIv1qws%2BLDDkapO2FnkhxGgFMQG5DDRoNTk1KHxHWwCs8n%2B6%2BoR66CcjY6FAB4TByVHdX8OMJLUd2DJOdTk2Y7Fo9gRVhZsV6Om3bzREsvcXCyE22ozkfk%2B1Qad%2F42Fj3C1b%2Fjijp89VYMvcal2Xj6Md2dQVPlNyU6GTNctU60i8nmtdOF7kvbKPohKNqkuq%2FnDY%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4LM44TcYQ

one of these kits could do the job.  i converted a winch with one of these kits and it worked good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BrendAn said:

Thanks. I just copy the description here for reference.

Fitment:
  • Compatible with 8000lb-12000lb winch with DC 12V (series wound and permanent magnet)
Features:
  • Made of solid and weather resistant steel and powder coated black surface for great durability.This winch solenoid contactor replacement come with shatterproof sealed and corrosion resistant case.
  • It is designed to handle intermittent current loads of 250 amps for up to 10 seconds, requiring a 20-30 second cooling time between cycles,Wireless remote control kit 12V for winches up to 2000-5000lb.Easy to install and use, portable.
  • Built-in antenna design,Remote range up to about 164ft(50m).Visual indicator light shows remote operation.Allows operator to keep clear of dangerous rigging.Operator can monitor winching or lifting from different positions.
  • Weather-resistant receiver WATERPROOF design,Waterproof casing will protect the receiver from rain or coffee spill,Submerged in water operation is NOT recommended.
Specifications:
  • Condition: 100% Brand New
  • Color: Black Relay + Black Receiver + Blue Remote
  • Material: ABS ; Aluminum Alloy
  • Operating Voltage: 12V DC
  • Coil Rated Voltage: 6-110V DC --- Contact Circuit Voltage: 80V DC
  • Operating Wattage: 15W
  • Loading Current: Max. 250V AC 500A
  • Environment temperature: -40°C - 85°C
  • Frequency: 10Hz-200Hz
  • Acceleration: ≤3.5g
  • Speed: 60-100 per min
  • Mechanical life: up to 100,000Ops
  • Electrical life: up to 50,000Ops
  • Operation Regulation: 50 Circle
  • Control Range: Max. 150 feet
Package Included:
  • 1 x Winch Solenoid Relay
  • 1 x Winch Receiver
  • 2 x Remote Controls
  • 6 x Covers
  • 1 x Manual
Notes:
  • Each remote powered by 12V 23A battery, for safety reason, battery is not included in the package.
  • Professionals install is highly recommended!
  • Please note that there is a circuit switch (like a seesaw) inside the product, so when you shake the relay, there is a voice inside, not by the loose in the wiring or any defective issue. Thank you!

11 hours ago, planedriver said:

That's interesting! All that for just over $50bucks already made. 

No wonder manufacturing anything has less incentives these days.

It amazes me how cheap Chinese stuff is . Even though a lot of it is not too flash some of it is quite good. Changed a bit since covid though. 

• Agree 1