Final ATSB Report - Dynaero MCR-1, Serpentine, WA, December 28, 2020

In 2020, the aircraft was offered for sale. A pre-purchase inspection was undertaken on 22 May 2020 by a Recreational Aviation Australia Level 2 maintenance engineer on behalf of a prospective buyer. The engineer did not consider the aircraft to be in an airworthy condition due to contaminants in the carburettors, unactioned carburettor float service bulletins, and the mandatory rubber component replacement requirements had not been carried out. Subsequently, the condition of the aircraft was reported to the prospective buyer and the sale did not proceed.

As the prospective buyer in May 2020, this crash is close to my heart. My initial inspection was enough to decide not to purchase the aircraft. The engineers inspection confirmed it was the right decision. If I had decided to go through with the purchase, it would have been a new engine. My thoughts go out to all involved with this tragedy.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

There's enough warning signs in the following paragraphs to make any potential buyer back away from the aircraft. I mean to say, a total of 9 years inactivity!

"The aircraft was constructed from a kit and had a special certificate of airworthiness issued on 15 May 2003, and was first flown on 22 May 2003. The aircraft was powered by a horizontally opposed, 4-cylinder, dual carburettor, Rotax 912 ULS-FR, that was manufactured in May 2002.

On 6 November 2003, the canopy of VH-SIP shattered while the aircraft was in flight. This led to a loss of control and the aircraft entering a spin at altitude. After recovering controlled flight, the pilot conducted a forced landing into a paddock, which resulted in significant damage to the aircraft. VH-SIP was repaired over a period of about 18 months, and during this time, the carburettors were removed, cleaned and refitted.

The aircraft was returned to service in April 2005. Among other work carried out on the aircraft, the logbook recorded that, in September 2006, the carburettors were again cleaned and refitted.

The aircraft did not fly between November 2009 and November 2013 (4 years). In August 2013, the original owner conducted maintenance on the aircraft for the last time. The aircraft was flown on 4 occasions in 2014, and then was inactive for over 5 years".

• Like 2

The real tragedy is the pilot's decision to try to make runway 23 by making a 220 degree turn at low altitude rather than land straight ahead in the paddock in front of him. The paddock is not that smooth but there are few good forced landing options around Serpentine and he was lined up to make use of about the best one available in terms of wind direction on the day and available space.  Easy to be wise of course when you're not the one flying the plane and having to make the decision.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This accident certainly had it all in the lead up. The sad part is it was just a simple stall, often the case in fatal General Aviation accidents. We can safely manoeuvre our aircraft close to the ground with or without engine power. 

• Like 2

Fly it as far as you can. Once you lose control you are much worse off. Ground effect can provide a temporary  benefit. Inadvertent stall should not be in your repertoire. Train  to be more aware of it. It can be done.  Nev

• Like 4
  • Agree 1