what oil filter brands do you use besides RYCO

lyle janke

do K&N do a filter (I assume so, most are standard sizes)
its all we used to use on motorcycles when the OEM wasn't available.

plus they have a hex nut on the end. pre-drilled for lock-wiring, and easier then finding the correct size filter tool

It's a long time since WL Ryan ran RYCO. Back then their waterproof filter material was made in South Africa. They'd also welcome any feedback you gave them. There must be other good brands. Most have an anti drainback valve and a bypass if the filter blocks. IF that happens the filter is not in the system and crap can go into your motor. Watch the tread fit on the nipple. IF it's not right the filter can leak or come off. Nev

• Informative 1

Look for the equivalent filter from Donaldson or Fleetguard. I consider Ryco to be a cheap filter, Donaldson & Fleetguard are used by major OEMs in the mining industry. They also publish their filter specs.

• Informative 2

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Most filters these days are too small for the job they do. Wish they were all spin on. Some of the others are a PITA.  Nev

You never really know what you are getting with a spin on - at least the filter media types must look the part & fit correctly

Buy one of each and cut them apart and check the style of construction, the total weight, the thickness of the metal, the amount of filter media (unroll the filter media, and compare the lengths and the quality of the media).

Look at the quality of any valving in the filter. Look at the filter finish and packaging - and then purchase according to what you consider is the best.

I don't think there's any filters made in Australia any more, but I stand to be corrected. By far the largest number of filters today are made in China, Malaysia, Indonesia, and anywhere where there's a low manufacturing cost base.

G.U.D. Holdings owns Ryco and they also produce Wesfil, Cooper and Nippon Max filters. In the automotive line, they also own Narva, Projecta, DBA, ACS, Injectronics, Goss, Permaseal, ECB, Fully Equipped, CSM, Barden/Uneek and AE4A.

In water products, GUD also owns the well-known Davey brand. 

I've never had any problems with "known" brands. I use Sakura quite a bit, and I find they're entirely satisfactory. There is a massive markup on filters, and you will find huge variations in prices. I use dedicated filter supplies companies for my filter supplies, and even then, there is often a huge difference in prices on identical filters.

All the filter manufacturing companies like to quote QC compliance numbers - but the real numbers are in the actual filter specifications, and the build quality.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

When you have a replacement filter element you bring into play more aspects for a potential failure, Put some part in incorrectly or lose it and the need to  clean the containing areas which is not always easy to get to.  Nev

One of the independent filter suppliers I use has an interesting "write-up" on filter quality, and whether you should use OEM filters, on their website. They reveal that only two manufacturers in the world make their own filters - Caterpillar, who are in a joint venture manufacturing arrangement with Donaldson - and Cummins, who manufacture the Fleetguard brand.

There are independent filter manufacturers who supply filters to many manufacturers - and filter "brands" buy their filters off multiple filter suppliers.

Sakura filters were originally made in Japan, then the Japanese moved into joint venture with the Indonesians, forming the ADR Group. ADR is a massive manufacturing conglomerate, making a huge range of automotive parts and components.

All the manufacturing technology is overseen by the Japanese, and a subsidiary of ADR called PT Selamat Sempurna Tbk., is the actual manufacturer of Sakura filters.

A big range of OEM's buy Sakura filters, rebranded with their name, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised to find Ryco filters are made by PT Selamat Sempurna Tbk.

https://filtersupplies.com.au/blog/sakura-filters-are-no-good-right/

Note that Ryco are cunningly avoiding stating that their filters are MADE in Australia. They carefully state, "All Ryco filters are engineered and tested at the Ryco headquarters in Melbourne, Australia". That's not "manufactured in Australia".

This simply means that Ryco engineers set the specifications they want in a filter (usually micron level of filtering), send them off to the filter manufacturer, and then do random testing to ensure that the filter quality is consistent from that supplier.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 2

Aero engines filters particularly should be cut open and examined when replaced particularly when the engine is new. The size of the actual element is what determines how much flow and dirt it can handle. I've had a bypass bleed type filter so fine it  would clean dirty oil but it wasn't "In line" so gave no direct protection but nor did it give the risk of blockage or thick oil bypass.. Hydraulic lifters need clean oil to function reliably. I personally don't like having them in an aero engine because they cover up some faults (for awhile) and CAN cause problems themselves.  Nev

• Informative 1

Had my 2200 for18 yrs used the Ryco Z386 filters untill a batch sold to be by Supercheap NZ was recalled in Australia - but no recall of the NZ supplied ones but I returned them for a refund and went with the Repco equivalent for a couple of rounds then back to the new Ryco from another country. This seems to be the 4th version of Ryco the originals had made in South Africa on the box later it became Philipines and / or Indonesia and it may be now China. All of them get cut open after use and inspected and the internals differ somewhat the size of the inlet holes and thickness of that plate and the construction of the centre support tube all differ, so far every one I had used a steel spring and bypass valve assembly.

Photos of new engines on their website showed they have switched to Joywell brand so in theory thats an option I'll stick with Ryco unless the internals look out of spec.

My notes from newsgroups suggest equivalent  Mahle OC534  these are spec'd for Daihatsu and Toyotas incl. RAV-4 so the OEM parts for these models could be used, check the country of manufacture.

Specs are L 74mm Dia 65mm thread 3/4 x 16 UNF Bypass valve 8~11 psi, with anti-drain back valve.

I previously sourced a Subaru OEM Japan made filter on my Honda Z turbo as the Honda ones are no longer made there, rather pay the extra when the filter is important.

Edited by jetboy
added specs
  • Informative 1

This is the stuff you need to be wary of - a no-name brand, obviously Chinese, and dirt cheap at $3.90. The "ISO TS 16949" number on the filter is only a QC or QM standard - and it's now obsolete, having been replaced by IATF 16949.

While a "QC or QM Standard" number on a product looks good, all it means is a paper trail has been established through the manufacturing chain, and agreed written standards will be adhered to.

The paper trail is simply to assist in tracing where manufacturing problems have crept in, and to ensure customer complaints can be properly addressed. It's also interesting to note, that IATF 16949 only covers OEM products, not aftermarket products!

https://directautospares.com.au/f386.html

https://www.smithers.com/resources/2022/january/differences-between-iso-9001-and-iatf-16949#:~:text=ISO 9001 touches on nonconformity,proofing and warranty management systems.

I only use Ryco, they are a small cost of maintenance and are available everywhere. Never known any issues with them and are used by most (if not all) jab pilots I know.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1