Temp. Inversion

Thought I would get an erly/quick flight in this am before heat/turbulence got going. About 18 C on ground.

TO about 08:00 - Climb Out - all good - Sydney Basin fogged in,  off to the easy - WHAT! hot ait coming through vent, quick check of instruments/look outside no sign of fire. Continued climb out to 4000ft  - OAT 30C oil starting to get a bit hot - return to base.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Cool air can slide under hotter air as it's more dense. Fogs form when there's little wind and are usually at their thickest at about 7 am but can persist well into the day, (say 10am) in still conditions..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It's in a hollow and it's cold to the south and higher so the cold air Katabatic?? runs in at ground level. Fogs often burn of from the top from the sun or if a wind starts it dissipates. by mixing. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It was hot at South Grafton on Friday (36 deg at 3pm). It was about 28 deg when I took off at 9am. Max height I got to was 5000 feet at around 10.15 & I noted the OAT was 29.5 deg. I had a SE tailwind at the time of around 20 knots as my ground speed was 136 knots. Oil & CHT temps were a bit higher than normal but still well within acceptable range.

• Informative 1