Hey all youse radio gurus!

Im wiring up a harness for my radio. One of the connections is 'analog ground'. I see 'microphone ground' as well, so am I to assume that 'analog ground' is for the speakers? I did a quick test with the digital voltmeter and those two and the body of the radio all seem to be common.

334260096_3439665513021451_8685037436037479055_n.jpg

yes,  grounds carry return currents. because the ground wire of your speaker carries significant current, if it shared a ground  wire with the microphone,  there might be enough voltage drop in the (common) ground wire  , and inject voltage into the microphone circuit, and you could get feedback.

happy to do a diagram...

so, where possible, bring the mic grounds and the speaker grounds back separately to these pins. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The reference to Analogue Gnd or more accurately signal Gnd in this context, is different /separate to the Chassis/negative supply Gnd

Often on audio gear that has both Digital and Analogue interfaces there are separate grounds for those respective interfaces, especially if the signals are unbalance (RCA) which they are in this case.

Internally the signal ground will (hopefully) be free of any contamination from currents drawn by the RF output stage or digital parts of the radio.

Yes, i'd say it would be a reference for the headphone outputs - these would normally expect to see a 32ohm load minimum, an 8Ohm speaker may overload the output - the specs in the manual may have some limitation with regard to this...

• Like 1
  • Informative 2