Light plane crash The Oaks, 30 March 2023 (edited)

8 hours ago, BrendAn said:

The student was a cocky little sh#t which is pretty normal for a lot of young men. But at the end of the day the instructor is in charge not the student. Both the instructors I train with have somewhere to land in all phases of the training flight. But we may have a better training area being in the country. 

Sometimes I watch the training at Moorabbin and wonder what happens if the fan stops when they take off to the east. It's all houses.

There are golf courses, ovals and the Costco roof.  Many, maybe dozens or even hundreds over the years have landed successfully on the golf courses, but of course the GA aircraft have brake systems that stop the aircraft in a much shorter length. The training there for an EFATO is stick down before anything else so not so many people start dreaming of a normal landing or trying to make it back to a runway.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

There are golf courses, ovals and the Costco roof.  Many, maybe dozens or even hundreds over the years have landed successfully on the golf courses, but of course the GA aircraft have brake systems that stop the aircraft in a much shorter length. The training there for an EFATO is stick down before anything else so not so many people start dreaming of a normal landing or trying to make it back to a runway.  

Now you say that, I remember a plane landing on the golf course at Cheltenham a while back. But there was also the plane that crashed in between the houses on the other side of centre Dandenong Rd not long back .and the chopper that went through the house roof.

• Informative 1

I've flown with John who comes across as a very competent instructor who knows Jabiru's inside out from many many years of personal experience, apart from being a true gentleman supported by his lovely wife they help make Dave's flying School what it is today. A great place to learn.

Sometimes in life we are handed the short-straw to deal with as they say, with no guaranteed outcome, and I wish John a speedy recovery.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I was annoyed with the news stripvacross the screens this morning, it had something like” light plane plummets 1500 feet after engine failure”

planes do not plummet after an engine failure, maybe catastrophic failure. This bad reporting scares the shit of of families and friends of pilots, the public perception of us all. there should be some sort of standard these journalists have to use in reporting stories.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Glad the PIC has survived and will recover, a bad day at work with a life saving Jabiru airframe.

The cocky shit trainee should take up skydiving and learn to fall instead of fly.

Once again the Jabbawocki has proven it's great ability to shed loads in a crash. 

Two walking away is a hell of a example of safety in design.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, ClintonB said:

I was annoyed with the news stripvacross the screens this morning,

Time and time again, we have this complaint from our end of the aviation spectrum. But what do we do about it? Moan in places like this. 

What is needed is for those at the grassroots to take positive action. What about a massive campaign against this false news. Write letters of complaint to the broadcasters and any relevant government agency. Why not threaten these media outlets with litigation for telling the public untruths?

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. We can only change the media's methods by being that wheel and squeaking and squealing.

• Like 3

On 31/03/2023 at 9:37 PM, old man emu said:

Saw the student interviewed on TV. Young bloke with too much money. He'd already bought himself a plane before learning to fly. If he ever gets his licence I can see him joining the fatal statistics through showing off. That's the way he came across to me.

I bought myself a plane before I learned to fly . My bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Time and time again, we have this complaint from our end of the aviation spectrum. But what do we do about it? Moan in places like this. 

What is needed is for those at the grassroots to take positive action. What about a massive campaign against this false news. Write letters of complaint to the broadcasters and any relevant government agency. Why not threaten these media outlets with litigation for telling the public untruths?

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. We can only change the media's methods by being that wheel and squeaking and squealing.

it gets worse……

The Daily Mail known for entertainment, not news, appears to cobble together whatever they think will sell a story.

Apparently this guy broke his leg, but the post crash video (where he of course was posting to social media) shows him walking just fine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11923059/Learner-pilot-Jake-Elven-survives-plane-crash-Camden-driving-hospital.html

OME, I appreciate the sentiment and indignation, but taking on the likes of Murdoch would take a global movement somewhat larger than what can be mobilised here.  And it’s not just Murdoch, the Daily Mail is owned by a Viscount.

Sigh.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, planedriver said:

I've flown with John who comes across as a very competent instructor who knows Jabiru's inside out from many many years of personal experience, apart from being a true gentleman supported by his lovely wife they help make Dave's flying School what it is today. A great place to learn.

Sometimes in life we are handed the short-straw to deal with as they say, with no guaranteed outcome, and I wish John a speedy recovery.

Agree absolutely with all your sentiments . I too know,and have flown with John on occasions . A top bloke and one of the most trustworthy of men . I understand he’s now out of hospital , and I wish him a continued recovery .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ClintonB said:

I was annoyed with the news stripvacross the screens this morning, it had something like” light plane plummets 1500 feet after engine failure”

planes do not plummet after an engine failure, maybe catastrophic failure. This bad reporting scares the shit of of families and friends of pilots, the public perception of us all. there should be some sort of standard these journalists have to use in reporting stories.

Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported a “ plane plummeted 2000M with pools of blood “ .. 

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, yampy said:

Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported a “ plane plummeted 2000M with pools of blood “ .. 

Sure there are factual/documentary type journalists but those that serve the daily news system are all about drama (entertainment). In this context, drama is all about worse case/blood & guts/murder and mayhem - pilot/instructor & passenger/student walking away from a plane crash is simply not "newsworthy"

I  am sure the journo's would defend their "creative" art, by correctly stating it is we "the great unwashed" who demand/ are entertained by such reporting - only when we have a vested interest (pilots in this instance) do we get all hot a bothered about the inaccuracies of the reporting. 

• Agree 1

Even if you correct the murdoch tabloid media on their poor, incorrect, sensationalist and even defamatory comments you will never get an apology or retraction unless you file a suit in court. They are just a bunch of scum dirtbags only interested in money, not reporting facts and reality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 2

It's pretty normal to get keen, but when have you actually learned how to fly?. With the purchase thing it's a lot about knowing what YOU want  and that may change with time. You don't have to OWN the planes you fly but it's a good way to control how it's cared for.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

NOT QUITE !.

I thought the Hummel bird was the 'bee's knee's ' of planes .

I had already given Aviation away as ' far too expensive ' for a family man .

Then , I had the chance to purchase an unfinished & parts hummelbird .

That plane of my dreams , so grab it , while it's still there .

No worries about the cost of flying ,

With 2 litres of oil & 20 litres fuel for the day's fun . The unemployed could Almost afford to fly.

Then lessons at the Oaks in a Foxbat A22 ,

I am hooked . I Loved every minute of my flying . Untill a new instructor brought me back to earth with a bang .

Only started with " RAF AIR TRAING CORPSE " AT 15 year old .

Medically unfit for the RAF due to child desease .

So now I sit in my dream machine & fly like an eagle. LoL

CHEAPEST FLYING EVER .

spacesailor

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

It's pretty normal to get keen, but when have you actually learned how to fly?. With the purchase thing it's a lot about knowing what YOU want  and that may change with time. You don't have to OWN the planes you fly but it's a good way to control how it's cared for.  Nev

A local hire company near where I used to live had a motto "Profit and experience is gained from the use of what we hire, Not necessarily by the ownership of it". Same could be said to apply here.

• Like 1

More costly than expected !,

With RAA membership,  Sydney Flying club membership , plus the cost of lessons. 

At Daves Flying School , you save that flying club membership .  that few hundred $ would be a couple of Daves $ 140 advrrtised lessons. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Saw John yesterday. They started loosing power very early on the upwind leg after a touch and go. He took over and managed to get the plane completly around lined up for the runway and the engine quit. 2 more trees to go, to much energy to put it down straight away and he aimed for the base and between the trees and flippped when the nose wheel hit scrub.

I don't usually like commenting like this but there is a lot of speculaion. 

• Like 4
  • Informative 4

10 hours ago, old man emu said:

There are very few facts in this whole story.  It's more like a Tik-Tok than anything else.

It would appear from this morning's Channel 9 News promo that the Journalists stories have been legitimate.

The source appears to be the Student Pilot, with his string off comments including the blood.

In the background the aircraft is in pieces, so the conclusions here were premature also.