Trip to Sunshine Coast.

Looking at a trip to the Sunshine Coast and interested to know if Caloundra and Gympie are RAA friendly. Would be looking to park up for a fortnight or so.

I fly in the area and both are RAA friendly. Gympie does have a Landing Fee, I think $20?

Caloundra and Gympie both don't have taxiways. You have to backtrack on the runway centre line.

It's never an issue, just wait until you have sufficient time and do a call saying you are backtracking and the runway you will use.

Caloundra is close to the town itself and Gympie is a bit south of the town. There are places not far from Gympie if you are after food.

Edited by RocketShip
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, RocketShip said:

I fly in the area and both are RAA friendly. Gympie does have a Landing Fee, I think $20?

Caloundra and Gympie both don't have taxiways. You have to backtrack on the runway centre line.

It's never an issue, just wait until you have sufficient time and do a call saying you are backtracking and the runway you will use.

Caloundra is close to the town itself and Gympie is a bit south of the town. There are places not far from Gympie if you are after food.

Landing fees are (ONLY!!) $13.50 at Gympie. Yep, no taxiways at Gympie. Runways 14 and 32, CTAF is 126.7, gliding days are Wednesdays and Saturdays , which I avoid. Nearest food and fuel is now a few kilometers south of airfield at the new service centre, just off the Bruce Highway. Self serve 95 RON and avgas are both available at the airfield. Nice airport, and not as busy as it used to be. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 2