IBob

Another NEW Savannah S on it's way in NZ

I had to come away from it for a bit, Steve, for various personal reasons.

Then I put the spray tent in last autumn, which totally bungs up the workshop, only got so far before it got too cold for painting, so shut the door again to wait for spring.

I see I began the build and this thread 2 and a half years ago. Seems longer. I'm hopeful I may see wheels off by end of summer.

What would it take to get you the other half motivated???

Thanks, Perry. Doors done, some small parts to be done, then next week I should have the fuselage in the paint bay.

In the meantime, I like to see you guys flying over...it's very encouraging! That's assuming I hear you: these aircraft are surprisingly quiet...

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, IBob said:

Thanks, Perry. Doors done, some small parts to be done, then next week I should have the fuselage in the paint bay.

In the meantime, I like to see you guys flying over...it's very encouraging! That's assuming I hear you: these aircraft are surprisingly quiet...

Perry flew over my house a couple of weeks ago (before all the bad weather came along) and I did not hear him either.

Question:

How much oil do Rotax leave in your 912 for shipping?

Answer:

Approximately twice the volume of the pitiful container you have to hand, and into which you just clumsily dropped the entire sump union...sigh

DSCF1930.JPG

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, IBob said:

Question:

Answer:

Approximately twice the volume of the pitiful container you have to hand, and into which you just clumsily dropped the entire sump union...sigh

DSCF1930.JPG

She has an engine!!

Looks brilliant Bob.  Well done.

13 hours ago, IBob said:

Question:

Answer:

DSCF1930.JPG

You've been working hard. It is great to see the Rotax in position!

Question:

Did anyone else get ICP exhaust pipes like this, and if so what did they do???

Note how the pipe from cylinder No 1 on the right collides with the swept bend for the head coolant.

I have been able to fit the pipe by swinging the swept bend out sideways, instead of towards the rear where it should be, but will have to swing it further, as the current position gives just 0.5mm clearance between exhaust pipe and swept bend. I have ordered extra length hose.

No other builders/owners I have spoken to have struck this problem.

DSCF1931.JPG

DSCF1932.JPG

DSCF1933.JPG

It's been suggested that I might have the wrong pipes in the wrong side.

I've tried them the other way round and they won't go anywhere near the muffler. Also the left ones (front and back) are marked SX, which is Sinister, or Left in Latin/Italian. And the right ones are marked DX, which is Dexter, or Right.

DSCF1937.JPG

DSCF1938.JPG

DSCF1939.JPG

DSCF1940.JPG

Could the muffler be moved to the left a bit (headers rotated anti clockwise viewed from the front ?

If you've watched the series (or read the books)... you'd know that Dexter IS pretty sinister.

Funny you should say that, Thruster: now the day cooled a bit, I've just been out doing a careful measure and mark up, loosened the pipes  and tapped them round a bit as you describe. I've picked up a little more clearance, but only a very little, since the closest point is at about 11 oclock on the exhaust pipe. So the exhaust pipe is actually more under than next to the coolant pipe.

But thank you for helping me think about that: it may be worth removing the coolant pipe, counting the turns, cleaning off the Loctite, and seeing if it will go in an extra turn when re-inserted.

I think if I can get sufficient gap that i'm confident the parts won't touch and chafe, that will be good enough.

Marty, in this case I'm fairly confident that Right is wrong............(

• Like 1